Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241419 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #4785 on: August 21, 2014, 12:12:02 pm »
I would like to see hutch and sidehatch move in together (non-romantically) and live blog on here their Odd Couple-esque hijinks. I think its a really understated dynamic in this community.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #4786 on: August 21, 2014, 12:30:07 pm »
I would like to see hutch and sidehatch move in together (non-romantically)

been done..

« Reply #4787 on: August 21, 2014, 01:00:13 pm »
I would like to see hutch and sidehatch move in together (non-romantically)

been done..

Just add an 80 year old British lady and two dogs.   
slack

James Ford

« Reply #4788 on: August 21, 2014, 01:42:46 pm »
I'm currently drinking from the 7/21 batch of Jai Alai from NoVA. Love they that have the brew date on there.

No complaints on the Wings, thanks again for setting me up.

For me, I think the Jai Alai>Wings, and vice versa for my wife..but maybe it's apples to oranges...

Best IPA in a can not called Heady Topper. Good lord does a fresh can of this tastes good.

Is this still available regularly at VA shops? I agree, definitely a top five can in my opinion and one of the highlights of visiting America's Wang.

Did you have a Wings yet?

hutch

« Reply #4789 on: August 21, 2014, 01:50:48 pm »
I am drinking a yuengling.... but tonight i'll be among the first to try the new bee thousand beer made my dogfish.... 10%!

« Reply #4790 on: August 21, 2014, 03:07:25 pm »
I am drinking a yuengling.... but tonight i'll be among the first to try the new bee thousand beer made my dogfish.... 10%!

speaking of...is anyone going tonight?
GBV at DFH
slack

hutch

« Reply #4791 on: August 22, 2014, 09:28:22 am »

speaking of...is anyone going tonight?
GBV at DFH

well yeah i went... a good time... although driving to get there sure took a long time... on the way back i made it in 2 hours 20 which was pretty good I thought..its almost like going to rehoboth!

that 10% beer thousand is evil though! they were selling it for $5...

James Ford

« Reply #4792 on: August 22, 2014, 09:56:16 am »
I managed to hit 12 breweries on a recent trip to Boston/Maine/New Hampshire. In order of preference:

1. Oxbow, Newcastle ME..."rustic farmhouse ales" perfectly describes the setting and beers. Just an awesome experience to drive to "cowshit corner" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO-f7YjhzaE and drink some beer here.

2. Cambridge Brewing Company, Cambridge, MA: Lovely outdoor setting; both food and beer were outstanding.

3. Allagash, Portland, ME: Excellent beer, excellent free tour with free samples. Says it all.

4. Trillium, Boston MA: Excellent beer, free samples. Says it all.

5. Maine Beer Company, Freeport, ME: Fresh Lunch is the real deal. Sad I missed out on Dinner. Brewery and tasting room look like a factory outlet store, but who cares.

6. Night Shift, Everett, MA: Bit of a hike when limited to public transport, but their Berliner Weisse and Gose made it worth the trek.

7. Bissell Brothers, Portland, ME: Got to sample their much hyped Substance IPA...their last keg they had brewed kicked as the guy was pouring my beer...

8. Foundation, some very good farmhouse ales...

9. Smuttynose, Hampton, NH: Decent beer, free samples, but you were required to take the lame tour to get free samples.

10. Harpoon, Boston MA: Awesome pretzels that paired amazingly well with Harpoon Dark (their dunkel)

11. Infiniti, Portland, ME: Good food, decent sour.

12. Austin Street, Portland ME: interesting brett session ipa.

brennser

« Reply #4793 on: August 22, 2014, 10:32:17 am »
Impressive!

I managed to hit 12 breweries on a recent trip to Boston/Maine/New Hampshire. In order of preference:

1. Oxbow, Newcastle ME..."rustic farmhouse ales" perfectly describes the setting and beers. Just an awesome experience to drive to "cowshit corner" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO-f7YjhzaE and drink some beer here.

2. Cambridge Brewing Company, Cambridge, MA: Lovely outdoor setting; both food and beer were outstanding.

3. Allagash, Portland, ME: Excellent beer, excellent free tour with free samples. Says it all.

5. Maine Beer Company, Freeport, ME: Fresh Lunch is the real deal. Sad I missed out on Dinner. Brewery and tasting room look like a factory outlet store, but who cares.

6. Night Shift, Everett, MA: Bit of a hike when limited to public transport, but their Berliner Weisse and Gose made it worth the trek.

7. Bissell Brothers, Portland, ME: Got to sample their much hyped Substance IPA...their last keg they had brewed kicked as the guy was pouring my beer...

9. Smuttynose, Hampton, NH: Decent beer, free samples, but you were required to take the lame tour to get free samples.

10. Harpoon, Boston MA: Awesome pretzels that paired amazingly well with Harpoon Dark (their dunkel)

stevewizzle

« Reply #4794 on: August 22, 2014, 10:50:10 am »
nice work! isn't CBC the best? when i worked in boston, i worked across the street.

Impressive!

James Ford

« Reply #4795 on: August 22, 2014, 03:43:49 pm »
Loved CBC, as did my 73 year old mother!

The best New England IPA I had not called Lunch was Wormtown Be Hoppy. Recommended to me on the first stop of a mini pub-crawl through Cambridge and Boston I did with a former 9:30 Forum member now living in MA.

nice work! isn't CBC the best? when i worked in boston, i worked across the street.

Impressive!

stevewizzle

« Reply #4796 on: August 22, 2014, 10:00:46 pm »
wormtown is >technically< my hometown brewery... worcester, ma.  but they are gypsy brewers and i never really have seen much of their stuff when i visit the family. i'll have to keep a lookout for fresh be hoppy when i'm home.

did you drink any jack's abbey?  they might be my favorite brewery, period.

The best New England IPA I had not called Lunch was Wormtown Be Hoppy. Recommended to me on the first stop of a mini pub-crawl through Cambridge and Boston I did with a former 9:30 Forum member now living in MA.

Impressive!

James Ford

« Reply #4797 on: August 22, 2014, 10:25:04 pm »
Picked up a four pack of Mass Rising and two Hoponious Union singles. Good stuff. Had one of the latter with dinner tonight. Yum.

wormtown is >technically< my hometown brewery... worcester, ma.  but they are gypsy brewers and i never really have seen much of their stuff when i visit the family. i'll have to keep a lookout for fresh be hoppy when i'm home.

did you drink any jack's abbey?  they might be my favorite brewery, period.

Impressive!

James Ford

« Reply #4798 on: August 25, 2014, 08:49:47 pm »
With all due respect to Zombie Dust, I now have a new favorite pale ale. OMG, this is so good. Can't wait to try the Galaxy Hopped version I also picked up.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4799 on: August 25, 2014, 11:20:04 pm »
EVERY STATE IN THE USA, RANKED BY ITS BEER
http://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/every-state-in-the-usa-ranked-by-its-beer

MD > VA, suckaz.
<sig>