Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241410 times)

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #6480 on: February 25, 2016, 04:24:18 pm »
There was no way I could attempt to blow through 48 of those in the next few weeks.
I can be down in Richmond in 90 mins...we can do it this weekend!

edit....sounds like next weekend is open...expect me around 9pm Friday night
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #6481 on: February 25, 2016, 04:26:08 pm »
Last night at the 9:30 Club...

First beer - Star Hill - Northern Lights IPA - It was completely undrinkable and maybe one of the worst beers I've had in a long time. I suspect miller lite was flowing through the taps and then new castle and then they switched to a year old IPA. I considered taking it back to the bar, but I decided not to. I'm not sure why I went against my "never order a draft at a bar that doesn't specialize in beer" rule.

Second beer - Flying Dog - Doggie Style Pale Ale - Bottle, drinkable, but not too tasty.

Third Beer - Budweiser - Bottle - Best beer of the night.

I read your last line first and didn't notice who had posted and thought, oh cute Hutch is beer thread posting again.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #6482 on: February 25, 2016, 04:28:59 pm »
There was no way I could attempt to blow through 48 of those in the next few weeks.
I can be down in Richmond in 90 mins...we can do it this weekend!
We can do it this weekend, although House Of Cards is not yet out. Fuller House?
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6483 on: February 25, 2016, 11:41:17 pm »
weyerbacher's sunday morning stout, aka the poor man's KBS, is out.  at $18/four pack, not sure it still gets that moniker... i was planning on picking up more than one pack, but at that price i got a founders imperial stout foursome instead of another SMS.  i'll try one tonight and cellar the rest unless it tastes amazing fresh.

i certainly hope that some age will improve the SMS, because the bottle i had tonight was a mess.  hot alcohols, soapy quality to the coffee, weird lingering astringency on the tongue... i cannot recommend this beer.  if i could i'd get a refund. 

washed it down with a founders imp.  definitely should have bought more of that instead.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #6484 on: February 26, 2016, 12:09:08 am »
weyerbacher's sunday morning stout, aka the poor man's KBS, is out.  at $18/four pack, not sure it still gets that moniker... i was planning on picking up more than one pack, but at that price i got a founders imperial stout foursome instead of another SMS.  i'll try one tonight and cellar the rest unless it tastes amazing fresh.

i certainly hope that some age will improve the SMS, because the bottle i had tonight was a mess.  hot alcohols, soapy quality to the coffee, weird lingering astringency on the tongue... i cannot recommend this beer.  if i could i'd get a refund. 

washed it down with a founders imp.  definitely should have bought more of that instead.
x

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6485 on: February 26, 2016, 01:32:02 am »
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #6486 on: February 26, 2016, 08:16:15 am »
x

please, do go on.

I was going to offer to trade you something for your remaining bottles, but I realized I have too much SMS already....interesting thing about that beer is it has a two-year best by date on it. You don't often see that with this high abv bourbon aged beers. (I hope hope my other bourbon beers that I've had for 2ish years aren't sitting around going bad.)

« Reply #6487 on: February 26, 2016, 12:11:13 pm »
Any idea when Bell's Black Note comes out?
I do not, but that same pub is having a Bell's dinner tomorrow night with a Bell's rep and I can find out for you.

Merci and gracias.
I did ask about this last night, and his response was "the first rule of the Black Note secret society is we don't talk about Black Note." Then he laughed and said they won't be putting it out again any time in the next few months, probably Winter 2016.

Then he gave me a ton of stickers and buttons and bought me an Expedition Stout.

/cool story bro
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #6488 on: February 26, 2016, 12:13:03 pm »
I do not, but that same pub is having a Bell's dinner tomorrow night with a Bell's rep and I can find out for you.

Merci and gracias.
I did ask about this last night, and his response was "the first rule of the Black Note secret society is we don't talk about Black Note." Then he laughed and said they won't be putting it out again any time in the next few months, probably Winter 2016.

Then he gave me a ton of stickers and buttons and bought me an Expedition Stout.

/cool story bro

"thanks for the great beer, brah, later."

« Reply #6489 on: February 26, 2016, 12:17:46 pm »

Merci and gracias.

/cool story bro

I mean, minus the "brah", yeah. Wait, if I talk to musicians, will they buy me drinks too?
LVMH

« Reply #6490 on: February 26, 2016, 12:21:43 pm »

Merci and gracias.

/cool story bro

I mean, minus the "brah", yeah. Wait, if I talk to musicians, will they buy me drinks too?
that's an easy one....NOPE
slack

« Reply #6491 on: February 26, 2016, 01:31:16 pm »
Drinking Coffee May Protect The Liver From Alcohol Damage
So those coffee stouts are really good for you then?
slack

« Reply #6492 on: February 29, 2016, 01:42:35 pm »
like the name/logo of their new Belgian-Style Tripel
not sure how it will taste tho

Join us on Tuesday March 1st at 5 PM for the tapping of the new beers joining the lineup, the Romantic Chemistry and Beer To Drink Music To
slack

Yada

« Reply #6493 on: February 29, 2016, 03:03:40 pm »
So... I learned the official definition of "Merkin" last night and I'm wondering why anyone would name their beer "Velvet Merkin."

« Reply #6494 on: February 29, 2016, 03:06:10 pm »
So... I learned the official definition of "Merkin" last night and I'm wondering why anyone would name their beer "Velvet Merkin."
so you made it to the Pizza Paradiso event
not going to share what merkin means?

slack