Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241792 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #7290 on: August 15, 2016, 04:46:29 pm »
I honestly didn't even realize pharmacies sell beer.

A few months back in NYC I purchased a Coors Original 24oz can in a Rite Aid. Big fan.
And you didn't report said purchase to this thread immediately? This is how a community falls apart. . .
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #7291 on: August 15, 2016, 06:12:55 pm »
I honestly didn't even realize pharmacies sell beer.

A few months back in NYC I purchased a Coors Original 24oz can in a Rite Aid. Big fan.

I once toured the Coors plant in Golden, Colorado and drank free Coors. Probably wasn't worth the price of gas and the vacation time commitment it cost. Hangs head in shame.

Yada

« Reply #7292 on: August 17, 2016, 11:13:17 am »
I wonder how this will impact the Space Ounce Ratio.

http://craftbeernation.org/blog/aslin-beer-expansion-plans/

Yada

« Reply #7293 on: August 17, 2016, 02:21:38 pm »

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #7294 on: August 17, 2016, 02:24:23 pm »
Somehow i never had Rogue Farms 7 Hop IPA until last night.  Tasty 1.5 IPA.  Would drink it again.

K8teebug

« Reply #7295 on: August 17, 2016, 03:08:13 pm »
https://www.lawsonsfinest.com/beers/super-session-ipa/

I had this a while back at this cool little bar in Lancaster. Had I known it was so difficult to get, I would have had more than 2. It was delicious.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7296 on: August 17, 2016, 09:43:57 pm »
Interesting perspective from one of the "sell outs."

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news/2016/08/16/breckenridge-brewery-owner-opens-up-about-life.html?ana=fbk

i'm not surprised to learn that the Big Boys are hands-off an supportive of their craft-segment acquisitions.  goose island provided the model of what happens when you let a craft brewery continue to do its thing with some additional corporate support (infected BCBS scandal notwithstanding...)

my big fear is at the corporate level, far above the heads of the craft brewers.  Big Beers has been trying to muscle craft beer off the shelf, but retailers have had an obvious reason why they can't dump craft beer: it sells, and the Big Boys don't have anything to offer in its place.  a retailer isn't going to drop a sure seller just because Bud wants its shelf space.  so now, with these acquisitions, Big Beer can tell the retailer to abandon the little local breweries since they now have their own line of "craft" beer.

i'm still not a fan of these acquisitions.  it's (most likely) good for the craft brewery that is bought, but it's not good for the industry overall.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7297 on: August 17, 2016, 09:45:00 pm »
in other news:

sip of sunshine > heady topper, at least right now.  given how much HT changes, this assessment is subject to change.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #7298 on: August 17, 2016, 09:51:05 pm »
Somehow i never had Rogue Farms 7 Hop IPA until last night.  Tasty 1.5 IPA.  Would drink it again.

That's a brewery I tend to avoid.

« Reply #7299 on: August 17, 2016, 10:11:49 pm »
so if you could only hit one philadelphia brewery....what would it be

I kinda want to hit Monk's Cafe, but with the Sovereign a few miles from me, it doesn't have the same 'rareness' appeal
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #7300 on: August 17, 2016, 10:24:53 pm »

I kinda want to hit Monk's Cafe, but with the Sovereign a few miles from me, it doesn't have the same 'rareness' appeal

Does it have to be in Philly proper? If not, Tired Hands in Ardmore is the obvious choice. I prefer the original cafe to the fermentaria.

Earth, Bread, and Brew is great, and closer in. The same guy opened a new place even closer in. Haven't been yet myself.

hutch

« Reply #7301 on: August 17, 2016, 10:48:07 pm »

Philly is just not known for good beer.. Baltimore has Nattyboh... MIlwaukee has Miller.. St Louis Budweiser... Colorado has Coors.. but Philly? Butkus...

Your best bet is probably a roadtrip to Pottsville, PA which is less than 100 miles from Philly...

Space Freely

« Reply #7302 on: August 17, 2016, 11:08:08 pm »

Philly is just not known for good beer.. Baltimore has Nattyboh... MIlwaukee has Miller.. St Louis Budweiser... Colorado has Coors.. but Philly? Butkus...

Your best bet is probably a roadtrip to Pottsville, PA which is less than 100 miles from Philly...

Troll

Space Freely

« Reply #7303 on: August 17, 2016, 11:17:21 pm »

My one experience at Monk's...I found it loud and unpleasant. Also, our server was downright rude..,ymmv.

As far as Belgian beer bars go in Philly, Eulogy was better.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #7304 on: August 18, 2016, 09:08:35 am »

That's a brewery I tend to avoid.

Me too - that's what made this a bit of a surprise.