Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241423 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #11400 on: September 28, 2023, 12:05:27 pm »
Commonwealth Brewing to open an Old Town Fairfax location.

I can thi of a number of others I'd prefer, but I'll gladly take it.
That’s awesome, one of my favorite breweries

Labor Day Weekend

https://www.ffxnow.com/2023/08/18/new-brewery-on-tap-to-arrive-in-old-town-fairfax-on-labor-day-weekend/

Finally happening tomorrow.

Soft Opening hours Fri: 11am-10pm

Regular hours after tomorrow
Mon-Thurs: 11am-10pm
Fri & Sat: 11am-Midnight
Sun: 11am-10pm

« Reply #11401 on: September 28, 2023, 02:39:26 pm »

Labor Day Weekend

https://www.ffxnow.com/2023/08/18/new-brewery-on-tap-to-arrive-in-old-town-fairfax-on-labor-day-weekend/

that Fairfax location...I remember it used to be a live music venue in the basement
I am pretty sure Hutch and I saw emmit swimming there, but only thing I can remember is watching OJ's white bronco on the TVs there
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #11402 on: October 02, 2023, 09:31:55 am »

Labor Day Weekend

that Fairfax location...I remember it used to be a live music venue in the basement
I am pretty sure Hutch and I saw emmit swimming there, but only thing I can remember is watching OJ's white bronco on the TVs there

Went last night.

In advance, my thought was...I'd rather it be a Fairfax location for the Veil, Triple Crossing, the Answer, Wheatland Spring, or maybe even Ocelot. But I like (not love) Commonwealth, so I'll take them.

Space (the place, not me) was nice (big!), beers (5 oz, 10 oz, 16 oz pours for everything except the 14.5% stout, which you don't want a pint of anyway)) were good (and noticeably cheaper than the beers are nearby High Side...which is the other good craft beer option in Old Town Fairfax)...food was pretty good, staff were friiendly and helpful. 15 min drive from my house, I'll definitely go there again. Better than Aslin Alexandria, which is about 15 mins from my house as well.

I asked if they'd be brewing beer there...apparently not because there's a business underneath...all beer will be shipped from VA Beach location.

Seems like they're going to need to sell a lot of beer for that big space. Hope they do.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #11403 on: October 02, 2023, 10:00:02 am »
This seems like a not-so-subtle way of introducing a new Space metric: quality vs. distance.

Space Freely

« Reply #11404 on: October 02, 2023, 10:05:45 am »
This seems like a not-so-subtle way of introducing a new Space metric: quality vs. distance.

Maybe that would also help explain why I've never been to Fillmore Silver Spring, but have been to Union Stage multiple times.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #11405 on: October 02, 2023, 10:20:13 am »
They don't book the same acts, so its not really a fair comparison.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #11406 on: October 02, 2023, 10:53:52 am »
They don't book the same acts, so its not really a fair comparison.

irrelevant metric.  we need to look at if they serve the same beers, and if so at what price.  background noise is irrelevant.
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #11407 on: October 02, 2023, 11:01:36 am »
Last time I went to FSS, I ordered a bourbon. Bartender picked up Jim Beam and asked if that was OK, saying it's all they had. I spotted the Maker's Mark over her shoulder and requested that instead...

So yeah, FSS has its problems, but the Breeders aren't playing Union Stage any time soon.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #11408 on: October 02, 2023, 12:52:43 pm »
Last time I went to FSS, I ordered a bourbon. Bartender picked up Jim Beam and asked if that was OK, saying it's all they had. I spotted the Maker's Mark over her shoulder...
Maybe you looked poor.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #11409 on: October 02, 2023, 01:08:36 pm »
Last time I went to FSS, I ordered a bourbon. Bartender picked up Jim Beam and asked if that was OK, saying it's all they had. I spotted the Maker's Mark over her shoulder and requested that instead...

So yeah, FSS has its problems, but the Breeders aren't playing Union Stage any time soon.

Aside from their two or three hits songs, the Breeders are pretty unlistenable. And now they're 30 years past their prime. But that wasn't my point.

The point was that for me, Union Stage is a much closer distance, and their schedule offers the occasional (like a couple times a year) quality performer to justify the 20 minute drive and price of admission. The Fillmore Silver Spring has never offered anything worth driving 45 minutes (probably a lot more on a weeknight) and pay the price of admission for.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #11410 on: October 02, 2023, 06:19:35 pm »

Aside from their two or three hits songs, the Breeders are pretty unlistenable. And now they're 30 years past their prime. But that wasn't my point.

The point was that for me, Union Stage is a much closer distance, and their schedule offers the occasional (like a couple times a year) quality performer to justify the 20 minute drive and price of admission. The Fillmore Silver Spring has never offered anything worth driving 45 minutes (probably a lot more on a weeknight) and pay the price of admission for.

I'm sorry you have such sour feelings about missing The Breeders. How many hits does Joy Oladokun have?

Space Freely

« Reply #11411 on: October 02, 2023, 06:32:55 pm »

I'm sorry you have such sour feelings about missing The Breeders. How many hits does Joy Oladokun have?

I'm not sure what a hit is in basketball, but did you know he's the only player to ever have more than 200 blocked shots and 200 steals in the same season?

Space Freely

« Reply #11412 on: October 07, 2023, 01:06:50 pm »
Don't know if any of Y'all still drink the stuff, but Churchkey and Shelter have to go four packs of Heady Topper and Focal Banger for 16 plus tax.

Yada

« Reply #11413 on: October 07, 2023, 03:25:55 pm »
Don't know if any of Y'all still drink the stuff, but Churchkey and Shelter have to go four packs of Heady Topper and Focal Banger for 16 plus tax.

It's only $12 in vermont... probably worth the savings to drive there and back.

Space Freely

« Reply #11414 on: October 07, 2023, 03:46:25 pm »

It's only $12 in vermont... probably worth the savings to drive there and back.

13 at the brewery.