Author Topic: U2's New Album: â??In The Home Straightâ??  (Read 13719 times)

vansmack

Re: U2's New Album: â??In The Home Straightâ??
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2003, 11:56:00 am »
Originally posted by mankie:
  I think some board members owe Jag an apology, I wonder if they will be big enough to do it?

"Never question woman"
That would be me, and I already did.  Thanks Mankie for policing nonetheless.
27>34

brennser

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2003, 12:01:00 pm »
but it applies only to CD's/records/tapes sold in Ireland.
I think the loophole might be bigger than that - as far as I can tell from the article it applies to taxes on royalties in any country in the world that Ireland has a tax treaty with - so once you have the exemption you can use it to not pay taxes on royalties in the US for example, provided you contact the IRS and show them your tax exempt status in Ireland

on a completely unrelated note, Charlie Huaghey was a thieving bastard who ran the country into the ground while filling up offshore accounts for himself and his cronies in the 80s - I sincerely hope he spends whatever short years he has left in jail, although thats unlikely to happen

vansmack

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2003, 12:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by brennser:
  I think the loophole might be bigger than that - as far as I can tell from the article it applies to taxes on royalties in any country in the world that Ireland has a tax treaty with - so once you have the exemption you can use it to not pay taxes on royalties in the US for example, provided you contact the IRS and show them your tax exempt status in Ireland

I wouldn't call it a loophole because the Government makes no attempt to hide it.  They exempt artists tax on Copyright royalties.  

And there are certain countries (the US is one of them) where U2 would pay no tax on copyright royalties based on Tax Treaties, but it has to be specifically listed in the treaty, so it would be a stretch to say that every country Ireland has a tax treaty with exempts copyright royalties, but I've been wrong about the taxes in Ireland through the majority of this post so....
27>34

mankie

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2003, 12:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

So Jag I apologize.  I was wrong on all aspects of the tax scheme (in 2000 they implemented a Capital Gains tax, though it is still lower than most developed countries). [/b]
When did Ireland become a "developed country"  :D  you'll be trying to tell me Scotland has the same status next!  :roll:

vansmack

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2003, 12:26:00 pm »
  When did Ireland become a "developed country"   :D   you'll be trying to tell me Scotland has the same status next!   :roll:  
Probably when the Brits made it a point to educate them during their "occupation."

And I'm telling your wife you asked that question.

And I'm guessing Scotland becomes developed when Markie and Lulu procreate.  Eeewww.
27>34

mankie

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2003, 12:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

And I'm guessing Scotland becomes developed when Markie and Lulu procreate.  Eeewww. [/b]
Couldn't you have waited till my lunch had settled before making that comment?

We only occupy the North now, we gave the South back to them after we had civilized them..the North still needs more work.  :p

Fico

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2003, 01:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguär:
  It is known by many in Ireland that U2 only continue to reside in Ireland now because of some tax law that favors artists. They have made it known that they stay there only long enough to enjoy the tax benefits, ie, they don't pay any taxes! This from the band that actively supports a Global tax, especially on the American tax payer, to support Africa. What a fucking load of hypocrites!     :mad:  
So they should live here in the States or Britain and have their wages drained for the Bush & Blair's wars?

mankie

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2003, 01:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by Fico:

Originally posted by Jaguär:
  It is known by many in Ireland that U2 only continue to reside in Ireland now because of some tax law that favors artists. They have made it known that they stay there only long enough to enjoy the tax benefits, ie, they don't pay any taxes! This from the band that actively supports a Global tax, especially on the American tax payer, to support Africa. What a fucking load of hypocrites!      :mad:  
So they should live here in the States or Britain and have their wages drained for the Bush & Blair's wars? [/b]
HEY! HEY! HEY!

It's Bush's war, Blair just tags along.

brennser

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2003, 01:34:00 pm »
So they should live here in the States or Britain and have their wages drained for the Bush & Blair's wars?  
well given that they're filthly rich they'd probably do just as well at not paying taxes in the US as in Ireland thanks to our great leaders inspired tax policies and trickle down economics....

Fico

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2003, 01:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by Mobius:
  For some reason a lot of what U2 does seems brilliant in the moment, or at least works in the moment, and ridiculous looking back. For example, I thought the Zoo TV tour was a phenomenol show, but looking at footage today of the crap like the TVs and props, and Bono making phone calls to the President, it seems ridiculous.  Their albums don't hold up great over time, but they were pretty awesome in the mid-late '80's, '91-92, and '00-01.
I wonder if people like you ever live the PRESENT... at the time ZOO TV was a spectacle unseen of in rocknroll circles (aside from Pink Floyd shows and a few others)...point is pretty much nothing remains current.. I'm sure half of the clothing we have on our closet will seem ridiculous in 10 years time, same as our taste in cars, haircuts, music, etc... embrace the present man.. if you do, the past will make for a good laugh..

markie

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2003, 02:17:00 pm »

Originally posted by Mobius:
 [qb]if you do, the past will make for a good laugh.. [/b]
I will contend that there is plenty of music that does not seem rediculous after time.....

Hell, Pink floyd still sounds great, so does the who or the clash or the smiths.... blah blah blah.

Perhaps U2 was crap all along and you were just a sheep in liking them, along with all the trends you follow, why did you buy those 24 inch bottomed purple flares?

ggw

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2003, 02:24:00 pm »
And to provide aid to cesspools like the Dominican Republic......

mankie

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2003, 02:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

And to provide aid to cesspools like the Dominican Republic...... [/b]
....and Detroit, Philadelphia, Atlanta and Anacostia.

ggw

« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2003, 02:58:00 pm »

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  And to provide aid to cesspools like the Dominican Republic......
....and Detroit, Philadelphia, Atlanta and Anacostia. [/b]
.....and Manchester and Oldham.

Fico

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2003, 04:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggw™:

And to provide aid to cesspools like the Dominican Republic...... [/b]
when was the last time you visited?? and for that matter, I wonder when was the last time the US gave at least a combined amount equivalent to 1% of it's GDP to the countries it takes so much from??