Author Topic: everything still on for interpol?  (Read 5589 times)

annabellee

everything still on for interpol?
« on: October 18, 2003, 03:39:00 pm »
the newspaper said someone overdosed on a tour bus out side the venue they played at last night. didnt say which band though. hope everyone  is all right

ggw

Re: everything still on for interpol?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2003, 03:43:00 pm »
What newspaper?

annabellee

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2003, 03:47:00 pm »
boston herald

ggw

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2003, 04:03:00 pm »
Police are probing the apparent drug overdose of a man found on a tour bus outside the Avalon nightclub yesterday before one of two sold-out shows by New York City bands Interpol and Elefant
It looks like it was before the show on the 16th and both bands played shows on both the 16th and 17th, so I would guess everything is fine.  Plus (not to minimize the guy's death), it's described as "a man" not one of the band members.  So I would guess everything is cool for tonight.

annabellee

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2003, 04:10:00 pm »
phew, thanks for that. my friend from boston told me, guess he got the dates mixed up. thats still too bad about the overdose though   :(

Jaguär

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2003, 05:07:00 pm »
It was the guy who does the lights for Interpol. He's okay now but I have no idea if he'll be doing lights tonight. Don't know what he did but it involved syringes. Fucking idiot.   :roll:

Barcelona

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2003, 07:57:00 pm »
Just got back to the US from a trip to Central America, ready for the show. Curious to see Elefant, their cd is pretty good. Interestingly, the way I first heard about them was on an American Airlines plane. They had "Sunlight makes me Paranoid" in one of the music selections. Excellent song. Good cd.

MaLo

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2003, 08:41:00 am »
how was elefant?  i really wanted to go to that show to check them out...but i bought travis tickets and that used up all my fun money.

i guess its for the better tho, i had to come into work this morning at 7am...blah

eddie rabbit

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2003, 08:58:00 am »
all the bands were pretty great last night, elefant was really good....although i think their lead singer has some wank (as in wanker) in him....interpol was incredible....they played note for note....

calecp01

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2003, 09:46:00 am »
Yes, if you closed your eyes Elefant wasn't half bad - at least the drummer and guitarist - but it only took 30 seconds for the singer to assume full wanking position with his hand dramatically held out toward the audience. It just got worse as the show went on, I mean it was so bad it was causing people to laugh out loud. Everyone was wondering why the other band members didn't whisper to him - stop doing that, please.  At one point he stopped the show, and speaking in his indie-rock-nyc-art-student accent, asked a girl in the front what she was writing, he then read aloud her notes for an apparent review which went something along the lines of "interpol wannabes, same old trite lyrics, trying to imitate bowie" etc. I'll give him credit for reading it aloud and playing it off cool, but it was so spot on this wave of embarrassment just swept over the crowd. Interpol rocked pretty hard, but it felt a little like going through the motions. Maybe its time they stop touring and record some new material. But whatever, quite enjoyable, as were the last few tunes of The Occasion who I hadn't ever heard of before (missed the beginning of their set).

ggw

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2003, 10:01:00 am »
MUSIC
 Monday, October 20, 2003; Page C08

Interpol

At the Black Cat last week, Miles Kurosky of the California band Beulah tried to talk a reluctant fan onstage to sing. "C'mon," he quipped, "you'd never get this chance at an Interpol show." It was funny and probably true, not because the members of the New York quartet don't care about their fans, but -- as they demonstrated at the sold-out 9:30 club Saturday night -- because they are really into themselves.

Dark introspection, dark melodies and dark new-wave suits and hair have made Interpol both a white-hot next-big-thing and an easy target for cynical backlash. The striking resemblance to brooding English bands such as Joy Division and the Smiths in Interpol's songs is also an issue, but because many in the crowd Saturday probably missed experiencing that Anglophile rush firsthand (or even secondhand), the quartet's sound appeared bracingly fresh. And when guitarist Daniel Kessler dug in behind singer Paul Banks on "NYC," "Obstacle 1" and other numbers, the glassy sheen of the melodies and dolorous sweep of the beat were undeniable.

The band included three newer songs in Saturday's 70-minute show -- two, "Length of Love" and "Narc," seem destined for the group's crucial second album -- but the sharp-dressed men mostly followed the outline of their turgidly appealing debut, "Turn On the Bright Lights."

Offering only the requisite between-songs thank-yous, Interpol worked grimly but with effect, the packed house swaying with each shimmering chord change. The performance might even make a case for rock-and-roll self-absorption, as Interpol's forward momentum has never seemed stronger.

-- Patrick Foster
 http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A51048-2003Oct19.html

Interpol have come a long way since they opened for Clinic.

Elefant were pretty good, but yeah, the singer has some serious affectations -- like the faux British singing voice.

It was nice to see the dude from HFS get verbally abused and booed off stage.

MaLo

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2003, 10:12:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
haha..thats awesome...was it an "HFS show"?  Was he trying to lead the audience in a chant of the 'f-word'?  i was someplace and there were people from HFS on stage doing that..

ggw

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2003, 10:21:00 am »
Originally posted by MaLo:

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
haha..thats awesome...was it an "HFS show"?  Was he trying to lead the audience in a chant of the 'f-word'?  i was someplace and there were people from HFS on stage doing that.. [/b]
He really served no purpose other than to pimp HFS.

His parting shot to the crowd was:

"That's fine.....Go ahead and boo me.  You all have to work in cubicles and don't get to play Interpol on the radio."

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2003, 10:24:00 am »
my interpol prediction given the clamoring of extra tickets, is that we'll see them on the east coast tour before the end of the year, with tickets int the $25 range.  stories about them going into the studio followed by a break up soon after that...  gotta grab that cash while the hype is hot
T.Rex

lily1

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2003, 10:50:00 am »
yeah, who the fuck did that guy think he was? it was like he wanted to be both david bowie in the 70's and iggy pop rolled into one. that said, i really like the music from elefant. though interpol does get a tad monotnous at times but i still loved the show.

Originally posted by eddie rabbit:
  all the bands were pretty great last night, elefant was really good....although i think their lead singer has some wank (as in wanker) in him....interpol was incredible....they played note for note....