Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1314145 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #4605 on: October 03, 2022, 05:33:08 pm »
well one person's great big phony can be another person's endearing significant other
Yes, but enough about Celeste and Rhett’s marriage.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #4606 on: October 07, 2022, 01:05:10 pm »
Epiq Pavement show... I could see these guys constantly, really just a jukebox of hits. Bob N was a bit much... Heard some favorites, yearned for more... Ran into 50% of the Mt. Rushmore of the forum. Don't love rock shows at a theatre, but what are you going to do.

Post show food, big mistake... don't do this to yourself at midnight.

« Reply #4607 on: October 07, 2022, 02:47:00 pm »
Post show food, big mistake... don't do this to yourself at midnight.
hutch and I ventured to Old Ebbit and he ordered enough shrimp and oysters for the band, I could only do 6 each

Was a fantastic show.  very heavy on WZ- 7 songs.  got kinda jam bandy
Sound was tight and so was the band.  Seem like the best I've ever heard them live
Didn't love the seating, pretty much stood most of the show
slack

Starsky

« Reply #4608 on: October 07, 2022, 03:30:27 pm »
Top notch show. Close to a perfect set list for me. Loved the banter about seeing the Cure there in 84. Malkmus is evidently still awed by that show. Sound was real good but there were points were Malkmus was a bit drowned out. I hope I don’t have to wait another ten years….

I have to blame the tequila shot for my $180 bar tab at Old Ebbit and decapitating my passenger side mirror on a giant orange cone on the bridge. Not happy at all about that. Never again tequila. It’s trouble.

« Reply #4609 on: October 07, 2022, 03:45:12 pm »

I have to blame the tequila shot for my $180 bar tab at Old Ebbit and decapitating my passenger side mirror on a giant orange cone on the bridge. Not happy at all about that. Never again tequila. It’s trouble.
What...had no idea it was that much, I was so done at the end of that night I could barely speak
slack

Yada

« Reply #4610 on: October 07, 2022, 03:45:32 pm »
Top notch show. Close to a perfect set list for me. Loved the banter about seeing the Cure there in 84. Malkmus is evidently still awed by that show. Sound was real good but there were points were Malkmus was a bit drowned out. I hope I don’t have to wait another ten years….

I agree... really perfection and it's interesting how they're a better band now than they ever were. I kind of assumed last night was my last time ever seeing them. I will say for primarily a group of guys that haven't continued to be musicians on a day to day basis, they can really pull it together for a tour. Kudos to Malk! I love that dude.

« Reply #4611 on: October 07, 2022, 04:03:49 pm »
Hutch, what the fuck, in 94 the stone roses and pavement played the WUST (before it was the new 9:30)
We were seeing shows then
Hole was there just a few weeks prior (and I saw the specials the day before)
It must have predated you hearing about them?

I think we caught them on the 1995 Lola (and I remember them sounding like shit) and the Tibetan Freedom fest (I think they sounded shitty then too)
and then 97 on the Brighten tour at the club..they played 11 BTC songs that show, possibly why I didn't like that show much either
I don't think I made the 99 show at the club, but did the same thing, pretty much played all of TT and a few from the old albums

wasn't here for the Virgin Free fest
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4612 on: October 07, 2022, 04:24:51 pm »
I have to blame the tequila shot for my $180 bar tab

i think that humblebrag belongs in the Julian's America thread.
<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #4613 on: October 07, 2022, 04:31:41 pm »
Well we did see the Stone Roses…got there way late….all I remember is you thought Mani flubbed the bass line…or maybe Mani , or was it Reñí, was gone by then….

I discovered Pavement with crooked rain but when it had been out a few months….there was so much great music coming out in 1994 it was hard to keep pace….I don’t remember seeing them at Lola or Tibetan fest….those festivals always suck… and for Tibet I only went on day 2…on day 1 I was watching Argentina’s World Cup game.

Pavement always sounded very ramshackle….whether at the 930 or on boots…when they came back around for Virgin Freefest they sounded better…and yesterday was the best I have heard them….of course Malkmus has gotten a lot better and that’s a big part of it… He actually came to Argentina in 2001 or 2002 with the Jicks and sounded better than he had with Pavement in 99

« Reply #4614 on: October 07, 2022, 05:38:27 pm »
Well we did see the Stone Roses…got there way late….all I remember is you thought Mani flubbed the bass line…or maybe Mani , or was it Reñí, was gone by then….
why did I feel like that was the capital ballroom
but now I recall I was bitter because they only played a few songs from the first album
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-stone-roses/1995/wust-radio-music-hall-washington-dc-33c77425.html
But reviewing this setlist, they played a bunch early in the set, I don't even think we were there for I am the resurrection, but I can't recall

I remember fools gold sounding so weird because the hook from the bass was not really that audible and sounded weird
 sounded like a different song without that hook
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4615 on: October 07, 2022, 06:10:14 pm »
Last Week in Concert History - Celebrating Your Golden Years You Forgot

https://forum.930.com/index.php?topic=24188.msg416009#msg416009

Starsky

« Reply #4616 on: October 09, 2022, 10:21:37 am »
How was Stereolab!? Set list looks great!

Made me real sad to miss it but I just couldn’t make the midnight start…wasn’t feeling all that great and didn’t fancy looking for parking in DC on a Saturday night and getting to bed at 2:30-3.

heff

« Reply #4617 on: October 10, 2022, 12:19:18 pm »
Stereolab - Surprisingly, parking was pretty easy but the doors that were scheduled to open at 10, hadn't and the line to get in was the longest I have ever seen (I was way down by the parking garage on 8th). When I finally got in at 10:40, the openers had just started. Due to the length of the line, I thought the place would be packed but the only part that was really full was the balcony. I guess, us oldsters like to sit down or lean against the rail. Maybe due to the late hour or the average age of the crowd but for a sold out show the crowd on the floor was pretty relaxed (no one pushing to get to the front).

As for the show itself. Openers Fievel is Glauque have listened to a lot of Zappa. Nothing special but a few times singer Ma Clément would hit some high notes that the crowd appreciated. As for Stereolab, same lineup as last time around and only "Miss Modular" and "French Disko" were repeats. Unlike the 2019 show, I thought this time the setlist was a little more challenging. Before they played "Refractions in the Plastic Pulse", Sadier remarked the song is now more popular that when it first came out. Well, considering it's over 17 minutes long, I can see why there wasn't any radio play in 1997. That song sounded great but either the crowd wasn't that familiar with it or they just liked each piece because they would cheer after each part like the song was over. Highlights were "Mountain", "Harmonium" and "Pack Yr Romantic Mind". They finished up with the poppy "French Disko" followed by the definitely non-poppy "Simple Headphone Mind", a nice nod to their original art rock influences.

Starsky

« Reply #4618 on: October 10, 2022, 02:35:37 pm »
Great review Heff! Thanks….wish I could have made it….

I heard they actually went on about 11:30 and were done 1:30!?

heff

« Reply #4619 on: October 11, 2022, 03:20:36 pm »
They started around 11:50PM. Based on the fact that most of the shows on this tour have been sellouts, I would think they will be back.