Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 10086482 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Just Announced
« Reply #36615 on: December 14, 2015, 12:58:04 pm »
5/10
Babymetal
@ Fillmore

OH SHIT
I posted something relevant to your interests in the Randomness thread.
LVMH

Relaxer

« Reply #36616 on: December 14, 2015, 01:25:15 pm »
5/10
Babymetal
@ Fillmore

OH SHIT
you know this is J-pop not Kpop

I actually often prefer JPOP over KPOP. The beats tend to be cleaner and more polished and the songs are more mature and developed. Right now, Korea is just rolling out new bands like an assembly line, and while most of them are still consistently catchy as hell, there's a template of sorts that most follow. And while there are outliers, most of the new acts aren't really deviating from the template.

Japan has its share of newer, still developing/generic artists but the ones I really prefer -- Capsule, Perfume, Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, Momoiro Clover Z -- have been around awhile and have taken the KPOP model and expanded on it greatly. It's next to impossible to sort out the differences between Girls Day, Girls Generation, Your Girl, etc., but the JPOP artists I like are very distinguishable.

Babymetal is a great example of this. They're far from my favorite group, but I do like how they added some "metal" elements to their music. It doesn't always work, and I can think of about a hundred other bands I'd rather be playing here, but I'll take what I can get.

Now can we just get a goddamn Capsule/Perfume/Girls Generation/Crayon Pop/T-ARA all-day KPOP festival at RFK or what???
oword

« Reply #36617 on: December 14, 2015, 01:28:03 pm »
5/10
Babymetal
@ Fillmore

OH SHIT
you know this is J-pop not Kpop

I actually often prefer JPOP over KPOP. The beats tend to be cleaner and more polished and the songs are more mature and developed. Right now, Korea is just rolling out new bands like an assembly line, and while most of them are still consistently catchy as hell, there's a template of sorts that most follow. And while there are outliers, most of the new acts aren't really deviating from the template.

Japan has its share of newer, still developing/generic artists but the ones I really prefer -- Capsule, Perfume, Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, Momoiro Clover Z -- have been around awhile and have taken the KPOP model and expanded on it greatly. It's next to impossible to sort out the differences between Girls Day, Girls Generation, Your Girl, etc., but the JPOP artists I like are very distinguishable.

Babymetal is a great example of this. They're far from my favorite group, but I do like how they added some "metal" elements to their music. It doesn't always work, and I can think of about a hundred other bands I'd rather be playing here, but I'll take what I can get.

Now can we just get a goddamn Capsule/Perfume/Girls Generation/Crayon Pop/T-ARA all-day KPOP festival at RFK or what???

see I told you this shit is unhealthy!
look what it's done to you, what does your family think of this obsession
I have to imagine there are support groups for this kind of addiction
slack

Relaxer

« Reply #36618 on: December 14, 2015, 01:29:45 pm »
My wife thinks I'm a pervert who's going to leave her any day now.
My 11 year son thinks I'm the coolest thing walking.
My 7 year son couldn't possibly care less if I lived or died.
My dog is dead.
oword

« Reply #36619 on: December 14, 2015, 01:33:03 pm »
My wife thinks I'm a pervert who's going to leave her any day now.
My 11 year son thinks I'm the coolest thing walking.
My 7 year son couldn't possibly care less if I lived or died.
My dog is dead.
sorry about your dog...
always nice when the kids think your cool, but doesn't always translate to the real world
slack

killsaly

« Reply #36620 on: December 14, 2015, 02:52:03 pm »
1/11
Scroll Downers
Bill Nace
Jake Meginsky
Twig Harper & Carly Ptak
@ the Crown

« Reply #36621 on: December 14, 2015, 03:54:09 pm »
U.S. ROYALTY POP-UP CONCERT
SATURDAY DEC. 19
1PM- 3PM
THE SHAY ON 8TH
BETWEEN FLORIDA AND T, NW   (like 1.5 blocks from the 930 )

you need to RSVP for a free ticket
Going to try to make this as I was a little bummed I missed these guys at the Landmark fest

board favorite White Ford Bronco is opening
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 03:58:25 pm by Sidehatch 🍺 |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| 🍺 »
slack

killsaly

« Reply #36622 on: December 14, 2015, 06:48:36 pm »
2/5
Fetty Wap
@ Fillmore

Thank goodness... The Towson show sold out way before I could score a pair of tickets.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 06:56:19 pm by killsaly »

hutch

« Reply #36623 on: December 14, 2015, 08:30:26 pm »
ACDC
March 17
Verizon
 ;D
Apparently this is on St Patricks Day. This place will be hell on earth. Really would love to see AC/DC though...

man I'm the biggest AC/DC fan out there but without Malcolm Young or Phil Rudd? I just can't buy into it.. having said that it will be fun for those going and basically its always focused on Angus and Brian with Malcolm and Phil being very much in the background (along with bassist)

hutch

« Reply #36624 on: December 14, 2015, 08:31:30 pm »
Richard Thompson
Feb 7
matinee
Ramshead Onstage

$80

probably the place to catch him.. can you imagine getting a little table right in front of him? Just never been a huge fan myself...although I do like some of the early Fairport stuff and some of his records with Linda

Kubacheck

« Reply #36625 on: December 14, 2015, 08:33:57 pm »
Richard Thompson
Feb 7
matinee
Ramshead Onstage

$80

probably the place to catch him.. can you imagine getting a little table right in front of him? Just never been a huge fan myself...although I do like some of the early Fairport stuff and some of his records with Linda

plus you can still get home in time for the Super Bowl.....

Vas Deferens

« Reply #36626 on: December 15, 2015, 10:32:21 am »
Titus Andronicus
March 1st
Ottobar
(_|_)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #36627 on: December 15, 2015, 11:35:39 am »
ACDC
March 17
Verizon
 ;D
Apparently this is on St Patricks Day. This place will be hell on earth. Really would love to see AC/DC though...

man I'm the biggest AC/DC fan out there but without Malcolm Young or Phil Rudd? I just can't buy into it.. having said that it will be fun for those going and basically its always focused on Angus and Brian with Malcolm and Phil being very much in the background (along with bassist)
As someone who loves Angus Young, I'd go even if it was just him. That's a living guitar legend right there.
‼‼?‼‼

Bagley

« Reply #36628 on: December 15, 2015, 01:02:36 pm »
Ozomatli

State Theater

1/13/16

Space Freely

« Reply #36629 on: December 15, 2015, 01:05:23 pm »
Richard Thompson
Feb 7
matinee
Ramshead Onstage

$80

I'm probably the only person alive who prefer his son to him. And I've seen them both live, separately.