Author Topic: TBD  (Read 1179910 times)

i am gay and i like cats

Re: A Various Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #2205 on: October 04, 2013, 04:37:30 pm »
some musicians are fuckheads

http://www.today.com/entertainment/sinead-oconner-slams-miley-cyrus-again-threatens-legal-action-8C11336391

sinead, included, especially.  just fucking sing, your voice is beautiful, and stop worrying what some girl is doing.  jesus christ . . . if one more has been singer, heres looking at you graham nash, bitches about the state of music today and how they, in their infinite oldness, think that mileys performance on the vmas "is the state" of current music.  you sound so fucking old and desperate for youth, you sound so fucking pathetic with your tweets.

and you sound like you've been off your meds for a while now man....might be time to dig them out again before you're talking to those racoons again...

you are so right.  i have had a uber stressed out day full of me sitting at this desk since nine, working and typing away.  i cannot feel my back.  i cannot feel my life.  and here i am getting angry about stupid stuff for no reason.  and telling you about it.  good god.  thanks hutch, for that lifeline.  and dont knock talking to wildlife; they are ufos in animal drag; at least, that is what they tell me.

hutch

« Reply #2206 on: October 04, 2013, 04:39:12 pm »
So the barista dude tried to flirt with me at starbucks the other day and now I can never go back as it makes me feel uncomfortable.  

I think if it makes you feel uncomfortable you've probably had some attraction to men and have a tough time dealing with it cause you think its wrong or something...

...or you're homophobic to the point of being weirded out by it...

James Ford

« Reply #2207 on: October 04, 2013, 04:42:27 pm »
And why wouldn't this flatter you?

So the barista dude tried to flirt with me at starbucks the other day and now I can never go back as it makes me feel uncomfortable.  

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2208 on: October 04, 2013, 04:43:54 pm »
when you have a gay guy who works at starbucks who flirts with you and acts like he wants you.

play ball with that shit . . . you will be in for some serious service in the coffee department.  there could be a line of ten people, he will call you to the front to be waited on first.  your drinks will be the shit.  your charges will be like, what, i thought that cost that price, but oh well, thanks.  you dont have to suck the guys dick or anyting.

but never, ever, look a gift gay barista in the mouth.

atomic

« Reply #2209 on: October 04, 2013, 04:44:04 pm »

I think if it makes you feel uncomfortable you've probably had some attraction to men and have a tough time dealing with it cause you think its wrong or something...

Not really if a chick did the same thing I would be kind of have the same feeling of it being awkward.  

James Ford

« Reply #2210 on: October 04, 2013, 05:23:02 pm »
When a young barista "flirts" with (46 year old) me, I just think they are being nice, not flirting. It's probably the same with you.

Not really if a chick did the same thing I would be kind of have the same feeling of it being awkward.  

vansmack

« Reply #2211 on: October 04, 2013, 07:29:12 pm »
Farmers want food stamps.  It allows poor people to buy their goods.  It is a Farm Subsidy.  I don't know why you think it needs to be removed or why you think Food Stamp reform is needed.

Nonsense.

Grab your pens and papers, kids, Smackie's about to give you a lesson.

Farmers generally aren't fans of Food Stamps.  Farmers like "Food Stamps" (quotes intentional) because it ensures that they still receive subsidies.  How, you might ask?  Let Smackie explain...

The Agricultural Adjustment Act passed in 1933 to help avoid another Dust Bowl and was deemed unconstitutional because it over reached on setting growing limits.  A revamped AAA was passed in 1938 and kept the constitutional parts and made some other changes.   The idea was to keep commodity prices affordable by assuring the growers that the US Government would buy excess product.

In 1949, Congress passed a new revamped law that set prices at certain ultra high levels and guaranteed farmers that if the price of your commodity went below a certain level, the Government would make up the difference. 

What's important to note is the purpose of the Farm Bill is to keep either of these from kicking in.

Thus, Congress now passes new farm legislation every 5 years to adjust the farm and dairy plans and in effect suspend the 1938 and 1949 laws.  Absent an extension, these laws would kick in and all hell would break loose.  The price of milk, for example, would explode.  So absent a continuing resolution, a new Farm Bill is passed for a 5 year time frame to be "flexible" to the market.

Seems simple, but Smackie, what does this have to do with Food Stamps?  Glad you asked...

The 1964 Food Stamp Act was part of Lyndon Johnson's Great Society plan to end hunger in America.  It originally wasn't a nationwide plan.  10 years later it became a nationwide plan, which of course was going to require some funding.  Much like the Farm Bill, the SNAP program (the official name for the Food Stamps program) required reauthorization after a certain number of years.

So what does the have to do with the Farm Bill?

In 1977 as Jimmy Carter's Administration was replacing Gerald Ford's, they couldn't get either bill to pass.  The Dems thought the time for subsidizing farmers (predominantly in Republican districts) had passed, and Republicans thought that food stamps were too generous (predominantly in Democratic Urban districts), so they merged the two into one bill, now commonly known as the Farm Bill.  So every five years both both parties can plug their nose and vote for subsidies for rich farmers or food stamps for poor people.

It's been that way ever since.

And that's why you can't have a conversation about reforming the SNAP program without having a conversation about reforming the farm subsidies.
27>34

James Ford

« Reply #2212 on: October 04, 2013, 08:53:50 pm »
I grew up poor on a dairy farm, and I don't ever recall meeting a "rich farmer".

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2213 on: October 04, 2013, 09:39:08 pm »
funny, in a oh-that's-not-funny sort of way:

Hidden in National Weather Service forecast: P-L-E-A-S-E-P-A-Y-U-S
http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/04/politics/weather-service-cryptic-message/index.html

<sig>

atomic

« Reply #2214 on: October 04, 2013, 11:30:35 pm »
When a young barista "flirts" with (46 year old) me, I just think they are being nice, not flirting. It's probably the same with you.

Why do you think that things in your life are automatically similar to mine?   

James Ford

« Reply #2215 on: October 05, 2013, 09:40:59 am »
Nearly 50, slightly overweight, likely not a multi-millionaire, abrasive online personality that more than a few people find repellant...dude, your life is so similiar to mine(except I'm not slightly overweight).

Go on believing that hoards of people are hitting on you. Fine by me.

hutch

« Reply #2216 on: October 05, 2013, 10:30:31 am »
Nearly 50, slightly overweight, likely not a multi-millionaire, abrasive online personality that more than a few people find repellant...dude, your life is so similiar to mine(except I'm not slightly overweight).

are you also 6 "4 and built like a linebacker?

atomic

« Reply #2217 on: October 05, 2013, 10:57:00 am »

.  Who said hoards of people were hitting on me.  I said one person at a coffee shop. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 12:08:16 pm by atomic »

atomic

« Reply #2218 on: October 05, 2013, 11:01:42 am »

are you also 6 "4 and built like a linebacker?

I am not 6' 4".  Only 6' 2" unfortunately. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 12:07:48 pm by atomic »

killsaly

« Reply #2219 on: October 05, 2013, 11:58:19 am »
http://thetalkhouse.com/reviews/view/drew-daniel-cher
Dr Drew Daniel of Matmos has a lot to say about Cher!