Author Topic: TBD  (Read 1179899 times)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: A Various Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #3195 on: February 11, 2014, 06:37:39 pm »
I take the commuter train to work. A train comes every 30 minutes. As I walk to the train platform, I always see grown middle aged men sitting in their cars blasting the heat waiting for the train's arrival time. They're pussies and they need to dress warmer. But I  get it. If my 19 year old car had heat, I might do the same thing.

What I don't get is why a couple of them absolutely blast their car radio (always morning talk radio) to the point that you can be walking 20 feet away from the person's car and hear the radio loud and clear through the closed windows. Does the heater make such a loud sound in car that this must be done?
I drive to the subway in the morning and blast the heat on the way.  I listen to NPR.  When I get back in the car I'm always shocked at how loud the radio is.  So yeah, I guess that the heater is loud.  NPR doesn't have as much grating background noise/music, and their voices are generally more soothing so prob not as bad as if you were listening to elliot in the morning or something like that.  Those radio shows grate on my nerves like crazy...it's like having the disney channell on...all this horrible canned music and laughter...

atomic

« Reply #3196 on: February 11, 2014, 06:46:56 pm »
I have to say the heater on my new car is pretty quiet.  I like the heated steering wheel.  My old car did have heated seats but not the heated steering wheel.  I like how all the new cars have satellite radio so I can listen to new music in the car.  Both our new cars have that keyless entry and push button start.  I don't really see much purpose in it.  I guess you don't have to take your keys out of your pocket if that is too much trouble for you. 

Both our cars have panoramic moonroofs.  I never saw much point to moonroofs/sunroofs before but I guess these are nicer since basically the whole roof is a moon roof.   
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 06:50:19 pm by atomic »

James Ford

« Reply #3197 on: February 11, 2014, 07:59:29 pm »
I don't take the subway (Metro). I take the VRE. Much nicer and devoid of all of the riffraff who ride Metro.

i've driven the 19 year old car for 14 of its years. I would never buy a car where you have to make payments. I've always paid cash for any car I've ever owned.

I actually drive that car less that five mile round trip every day. I don't see a reason to replace it. If I want to actually go somewhere, I use our other car, which I paid cash for.

I take the commuter train to work. A train comes every 30 minutes. As I walk to the train platform, I always see grown middle aged men sitting in their cars blasting the heat waiting for the train's arrival time. They're pussies and they need to dress warmer. But I  get it. If my 19 year old car had heat, I might do the same thing.

What I don't get is why a couple of them absolutely blast their car radio (always morning talk radio) to the point that you can be walking 20 feet away from the person's car and hear the radio loud and clear through the closed windows. Does the heater make such a loud sound in car that this must be done?

Maybe they are getting pumped up for the day.  You take a train to the subway?  And you have a 19 year old car? Ouch. I bought a new car last night.  It wasn't the Audi I wanted but I sacrificed for the kid and got a smaller BMW.  My payment went down and I have better gas mileage.  You might have influenced me a bit.  I hope the kid when he poops out appreciates me downgrading.

Maybe we should have a auto thread.  I love cars.  We are dudes so we all love cars right? 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:05:13 pm by James Ford »

atomic

« Reply #3198 on: February 11, 2014, 08:28:26 pm »
I don't take the subway (Metro). I take the VRE. Much nicer and devoid of all of the riffraff who ride Metro.

i've driven the 19 year old car for 14 of its years. I would never buy a car where you have to make payments. I've always paid cash for any car I've ever owned.

I actually drive that car less that five mile round trip every day. I don't see a reason to replace it. If I want to actually go somewhere, I use our other car, which I paid cash for.

Maybe they are getting pumped up for the day.  You take a train to the subway?  And you have a 19 year old car? Ouch. I bought a new car last night.  It wasn't the Audi I wanted but I sacrificed for the kid and got a smaller BMW.  My payment went down and I have better gas mileage.  You might have influenced me a bit.  I hope the kid when he poops out appreciates me downgrading.

Maybe we should have a auto thread.  I love cars.  We are dudes so we all love cars right? 

I don't think anyone driving around in a 19 year old car should be giving out life advice.  Anyone can pay cash of an old junker I don't think that will impress anyone.  Actually I wouldn't drive around a child in a 19 year old car I don't think it would be safe. Lot of safety improvement to cars in the last 19 years.   I don't think you are being very responsible.  You might want to report yourself to child protective services.

James Ford

« Reply #3199 on: February 12, 2014, 01:17:55 am »
I don't buy my cars to impress people, I buy them to have means of getting from Point A to Point B.

The last car I paid cash for was a 2006 RAV4, purchased in 2008. Hardly a "junker". And I drive my daughter home from her after school care less than a mile each day, hitting one light and topping out at about 25 mph in a suburban neighborhood. I think we'll be fine, but thanks for your concern.

atomic

« Reply #3200 on: February 12, 2014, 03:13:06 am »
I don't buy my cars to impress people, I buy them to have means of getting from Point A to Point B.

The last car I paid cash for was a 2006 RAV4, purchased in 2008. Hardly a "junker". And I drive my daughter home from her after school care less than a mile each day, hitting one light and topping out at about 25 mph in a suburban neighborhood. I think we'll be fine, but thanks for your concern.

2006 Toyota RAV 4 is a junker.  I had one of those cars for a loaner when I took my car in for service once.  I had no leg room.  It had no acceleration, poor handling and poor braking.  I can only imagine if it was such a poor car when it was new how bad it would be now.   And you bought the car for your wife.  It wasn't for you.

I don't buy cars to impress people.  I like safe cars.  And a 19 year old car isn't safe.  I certainly wouldn't drive a child I claim to care about in it.  And I am guessing it was a pretty awful car when you bought it.

But the whole point is you can't afford a decent car and you can't afford concert tickets and you can only afford half a beer a night which is all fine but you somehow think you are better than everyone else and you are giving people life advice.

I put the maximum into my 401k each year.  I know how to save.  If I am paying 0 percent interest on one car and 3.19 percent on the other with a good size down payment on both. I don't have any credit card debt.  I owe a pittance on my mortgage.  My total debt is less than my yearly income.  There is a difference between being responsible and being cheap.  I don't give anyone life advice as I am certainly not an expert.

You can keep driving your broken down cars but don't act like you know everything.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3201 on: February 12, 2014, 06:11:03 am »
We should really have an Old Man Smackdown thread.

James Ford

« Reply #3202 on: February 12, 2014, 09:45:19 am »
Isn't that what every thread is? I can think of at least 10 regular forum posters who are 40+. My wife took a look at this forum the other day for the first time in a few years and commented "You guys are too harsh on one another."

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3203 on: February 12, 2014, 09:50:52 am »
We tried making a designated "Atomic and James Ford have a two-man bull session all day long thread," and they used it for like 5 minutes and just prefer to vomit all over every other thread on here. Except Just Announced BECAUSE THIS COMMUNITY IS BASED ON KILLSALY AND AZAGHAL'S DRY RECITATION OF NOISE ROCK SHOWS NO ONE BUT THEM WILL EVER CONSIDER ATTENDING. THAT'S SACRED!!!
LVMH

James Ford

« Reply #3204 on: February 12, 2014, 09:56:13 am »
I thought this WAS the bull session thread. What one are you referring to, Mr Julian?

We tried making a designated "Atomic and James Ford have a two-man bull session all day long thread," and they used it for like 5 minutes and just prefer to vomit all over every other thread on here. Except Just Announced BECAUSE THIS COMMUNITY IS BASED ON KILLSALY AND AZAGHAL'S DRY RECITATION OF NOISE ROCK SHOWS NO ONE BUT THEM WILL EVER CONSIDER ATTENDING. THAT'S SACRED!!!

Yada

« Reply #3205 on: February 12, 2014, 10:00:07 am »

2006 Toyota RAV 4 is a junker.  I had one of those cars for a loaner when I took my car in for service once.  I had no leg room.  It had no acceleration, poor handling and poor braking.  I can only imagine if it was such a poor car when it was new how bad it would be now.   And you bought the car for your wife.  It wasn't for you.

I don't buy cars to impress people.  I like safe cars.  And a 19 year old car isn't safe.  I certainly wouldn't drive a child I claim to care about in it.  And I am guessing it was a pretty awful car when you bought it.

But the whole point is you can't afford a decent car and you can't afford concert tickets and you can only afford half a beer a night which is all fine but you somehow think you are better than everyone else and you are giving people life advice.

I put the maximum into my 401k each year.  I know how to save.  If I am paying 0 percent interest on one car and 3.19 percent on the other with a good size down payment on both. I don't have any credit card debt.  I owe a pittance on my mortgage.  My total debt is less than my yearly income.  There is a difference between being responsible and being cheap.  I don't give anyone life advice as I am certainly not an expert.

You can keep driving your broken down cars but don't act like you know everything.

can't make this shit up.

« Reply #3206 on: February 12, 2014, 10:03:40 am »
I thought this WAS the bull session thread. What one are you referring to, Mr Julian?
http://forum.930.com/index.php?topic=23607.0

We made it FOR YOU...!
LVMH

James Ford

« Reply #3207 on: February 12, 2014, 10:05:23 am »
Aint the internet great?

can't make this shit up.

« Reply #3208 on: February 12, 2014, 10:07:05 am »
2006 Toyota RAV 4 is a junker.  I had one of those cars for a loaner when I took my car in for service once. 
What an amazing example of kismet that is! That you just so happened to have the same year, make, and model car as James Ford once as a rental. The odds against such a thing are really quite staggering, but all in this community are equally lucky that you JUST SO HAPPENED to once drive one of these vehicles and can share your assessment of this vehicle. Just imagine if instead you had been given a 2005 Camry as your loaner: why, you'd have nothing to share assessment-wise on James' car at all as you certainly wouldn't make up such a unverifiable claim. It's just nice that the messageboard Gods sometimes work these sort of things out for us.
LVMH

James Ford

« Reply #3209 on: February 12, 2014, 10:15:45 am »
Don't even get my started on that library lady I once dated.