Author Topic: The MLB Thread  (Read 634770 times)

Kubacheck

Re: The MLB Thread
« Reply #1380 on: August 18, 2015, 10:41:37 pm »
Red Sox hire Dombrowski.  How does that work with DiPoto?

as far as I knew, DiPoto was just supposed to be a consultant type for the off-season, but hiring Dombrowski means Ben Cherington will be gone, something I'm not completely sad over..... I absolutely disagreed with Cherington saddling the team with bloated payroll by giving Sandoval 95 Mil over 5 years and Ramirez 88 Mil over 4 during the last off season, a complete departure from their stated objectives as it pertains to player contracts, while just trying to cut and paste in a pitching staff.... so yeah, the Sox grabbed a WS title 2 years ago, definitely a memorable year, but they also (have and are about to) finish last the other 3 years over this recent 4 year span.....

vansmack

« Reply #1381 on: August 19, 2015, 04:17:07 pm »
Dodgers acquire Chase Utley
27>34

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1382 on: August 19, 2015, 08:35:27 pm »
Norris, a Tigers pitcher, just hit a three run homer to dead center in his first career at bat. Off Lester. I know no one else will care but that was awesome.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #1383 on: August 20, 2015, 11:32:12 am »
Norris, a Tigers pitcher, just hit a three run homer to dead center in his first career at bat. Off Lester. I know no one else will care but that was awesome.

Yes, it was awesome.
27>34

« Reply #1384 on: August 20, 2015, 11:57:33 am »
Dan Patrick is having an interesting conversation about whether David Ortiz is a Hall Of Famer or not. Thoughts, anyone?
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #1385 on: August 20, 2015, 12:50:50 pm »

Yes, it was awesome.

BTW - he also apparently broke a score board in Wrigley during BP.  Even more awesome.
27>34

« Reply #1386 on: August 20, 2015, 01:02:32 pm »
BTW - he also apparently broke a score board in Wrigley during BP.  Even more awesome.
I found it weird he got through all of his minor league ball without ever coming up to bat either. Strange.
LVMH

Kubacheck

« Reply #1387 on: August 20, 2015, 04:43:33 pm »
I found it weird he got through all of his minor league ball without ever coming up to bat either. Strange.

I don't think that's so strange.... as far as I know, the NL is the only league left in all organized baseball that still has the pitchers hit, so I'd think most pitchers would come up to the Majors without a professional at-bat..... could be wrong, of course.....

« Reply #1388 on: August 20, 2015, 04:46:12 pm »

I don't think that's so strange.... as far as I know, the NL is the only league left in all organized baseball that still has the pitchers hit, so I'd think most pitchers would come up to the Majors without a professional at-bat..... could be wrong, of course.....
I did not realize the DH was ubiquitous in MiLB. To be honest, I had never thought about it. Either way, Norris is now on the DL.

LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #1389 on: August 20, 2015, 05:05:29 pm »

It's not quite that clean, but pretty much, yes. 

In double and triple A ball, when both teams are NL affiliates, the pitchers bat.  In the Pac Coast league, both NL affiliates have to agree to have pitchers bat, but both have to agree.

In any minors game with an American League squad - no pitchers bat.

In rookie, single A, and all other leagues, no pitchers bat.

So it's not odd that an American league pitchers first AB is at the major's level.
27>34

Kubacheck

« Reply #1390 on: August 20, 2015, 07:38:39 pm »
either way, it's pretty cool to hit a HR in your first ML at-bat.... to do it while never having had a professional AB previously is pretty amazing.....

vansmack

« Reply #1391 on: August 26, 2015, 11:12:26 pm »
If you don't think I sent a message to Jules saying "Hey, no hitter!" in the late innings, then you don't know Smackie.
27>34

« Reply #1392 on: August 26, 2015, 11:17:43 pm »
If you don't think I sent a message to Jules saying "Hey, no hitter!" in the late innings, then you don't know Smackie.
There was a solid five minutes I hated you there.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #1393 on: August 26, 2015, 11:26:07 pm »

If it wasn't the Angels, I would have said "Hey, are you watching the Tigers game right now?"

But, it was, so I didn't.

Now it's on - who drinks more, the guy whose team almost had a no hitter or the guy whose team only managed one hit?
27>34

« Reply #1394 on: August 26, 2015, 11:29:56 pm »

If it wasn't the Angels, I would have said "Hey, are you watching the Tigers game right now?"

But, it was, so I didn't.

Now it's on - who drinks more, the guy whose team almost had a no hitter or the guy whose team only managed one hit?
Your favorite baseball team will probably still get into the playoffs. That was the one shining potential star of the Tigers season (well. .  . Iglesias coming into arguably elite status??).

It also kills my ability to discuss if JV, with three no hitters, had guaranteed a HoF spot. Which would've been an interesting discussion. I'm deprived of that.

I stopped drinking shortly after we talked, FYI. Old man Julian can't do that on a Wednesday.
LVMH