Author Topic: Comic books and other nerdy topics  (Read 136888 times)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
Re: Comic books and other nerdy topics
« Reply #510 on: November 13, 2015, 03:48:44 pm »
I do not keep up with Marvel books (outside of Ms Marvel for the missus). 
I only picked up Howard The Duck at the last minute because it was by the register and looked funny. It was/is funny but it was re-rebooted and I'm not really sure what the whole "Secret Wars" thing is, but it seems Marvel fans are pissed lol.

EDIT: Sounds a lot like what DC did with their Convergence storyline. Essentially, a bunch of different time periods and universes get mashed into one. Heroes have to figure out what's going on, yada yada yada.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 03:52:13 pm by DeathFromAbove1979 »
‼‼?‼‼

killsaly

« Reply #511 on: November 13, 2015, 04:22:44 pm »
They all get so convoluted... And weighed down by decades of continuity... (DC and Marvel)

« Reply #512 on: November 13, 2015, 10:43:34 pm »
you'll be happy to know during my presentation on a new ticketing system
the names of the requestors were:  jimmy superfly snuka, ric flair, yoda, luke and darth vader.
C-3PO wasn't authorized to request Luke's password change, so he had to get approval from Darth Vader
you have to play to your audience
slack

killsaly

« Reply #513 on: November 13, 2015, 11:08:00 pm »
The next series I plan on collecting is Hellblazer.   I have the first three volumes, and I think there are like 15 or 20.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #514 on: November 16, 2015, 11:34:27 am »
the names of the requestors were:  jimmy superfly snuka, ric flair, yoda, luke and darth vader.
C-3PO wasn't authorized to request Luke's password change, so he had to get approval from Darth Vader
Oh no! Superfly is being convicted of murder!...... probably... lol. Still awesome!

Picked up The Wicked & The Divine vol 1 over the weekend. It's about 12 gods that come down and manifest themselves as human beings every 90 years. They become huge pop stars, or lords of the underground, or just straight up insane murderers... So far Lucifer has been framed for murder and I'm not sure how into it I am. I believe it's only about 20 issues into it's run, volume 1 covers the first 5 issues. It's a cool concept so I'll stick with it for now.

Also picked up Prez issue 1, it's about a future where voting has switched to hashtags on social media and a 17 year old viral video star gets voted into office. Pretty funny stuff!
‼‼?‼‼

« Reply #515 on: November 16, 2015, 12:00:36 pm »
Oh no! Superfly is being convicted of murder!...... probably... lol. Still awesome!
allegedly (although looking not good...plus he's got stomach cancer, so end is nigh)
strange how they can reopen a 30 year old case, I'm no lawyer, but isn't there a statue of limitations
even in murder cases?
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #516 on: November 16, 2015, 12:25:10 pm »
I'm no lawyer, but isn't there a statue of limitations even in murder cases?
I don't believe any state (nor the feds) has a statute of limitations on murder.
LVMH

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #517 on: November 16, 2015, 12:30:14 pm »
allegedly (although looking not good...plus he's got stomach cancer, so end is nigh)
strange how they can reopen a 30 year old case, I'm no lawyer, but isn't there a statue of limitations
even in murder cases?

Hasn't he had stomach cancer for a bit though? I thought that's why they kind of fast tracked his WWE HOF induction.... Can't remember though.

Either way, totally sucks.
‼‼?‼‼

« Reply #518 on: December 10, 2015, 01:58:04 pm »
I had heard that Miller wasn't involved...but I didn't know to the extent he hated it
"They can call it whatever you want, but it will not be the real Elektra... Yes, I'm her father."

A little bummed she doesn't have her trademark Sai
slack

killsaly

« Reply #519 on: December 10, 2015, 02:05:10 pm »
Yeah, because having those weapons is the only prerequisite for that character to be good.

« Reply #520 on: December 10, 2015, 02:28:33 pm »
Yeah, because having those weapons is the only prerequisite for that character to be good.
again...I stated the movies were the biggest piece-o-crap it's a shame they were able to get Marvel tarnish the brand so much

but the Sai has always been my favorite weapon of choice
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 02:30:06 pm by Sidehatch 🍺 |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| 🍺 »
slack

killsaly

« Reply #521 on: December 10, 2015, 02:37:35 pm »
You must have said that in the SPOILER thread.  I try to avoid it in case, spoilers.  I do not necessarily watch TV on the same schedule as everyone else, and might not even watch Daredevil or Jessica Jones this year.  I did post about Scream Queens, but then Julian posted about jumping the shark and I still have four episodes left, so I went back to mostly avoiding it.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #522 on: December 10, 2015, 02:58:26 pm »
You must have said that in the SPOILER thread.  I try to avoid it in case, spoilers.  I do not necessarily watch TV on the same schedule as everyone else, and might not even watch Daredevil or Jessica Jones this year.  I did post about Scream Queens, but then Julian posted about jumping the shark and I still have four episodes left, so I went back to mostly avoiding it.
I have said nothing that would constitute a spoiler about it in the other thread, fwiw.
LVMH

« Reply #523 on: December 10, 2015, 02:58:35 pm »
You must have said that in the SPOILER thread. 

yep..but no big spoilers tho in my post

Finished Jessica Jones. Worth the watch. The ending and arc of Daredevil was overall better, but JJ was still worth the watch. I won't spoil anything but the last episode if pretty fun!

I'm 4 episodes in. I didn't read the comic, but I'm liking it, even though it is really stressing me out! I don't watch Dr. Who, but I loved the Killgrave actor in Broadchurch.

And...maybe I should not have looked at the comics.

watched three last night and I'm hooked.  Acting, story and cinematography are all great IMO
Never read or heard of the comic.  But it's great and the super hero part seems like a pretty small part of the story (that may change)

Killgrave is a great character in general, mind controlling people to do your bidding!

Also, superhero sex!  seems like a first to me and pretty graphic (for a tv show) to boot  Episode 3 they bang like four times

With DD, I grew up just entranced with how Frank Miller changed the way I (and everyone else) looked at comics, heroes (or anti-heroes) and the dark stories you could tell.  His characters were so different than any other comic at the time.  Stick and Electra as well as the reboot of the punisher and other good/bad guys 
And just the way he depicted this dark NY like no one before...Hell's Kitchen!

Most people's exposure to Miller was the Dark Knight, but for me DD always has a special place

Nowadays seems very normal, but back then comics were still pretty one dimensional.  This series is doing a great job at bringing that to the screen...which the Movie (ben unaffected) did an horrendous job of.
slack

killsaly

« Reply #524 on: December 10, 2015, 03:12:59 pm »
I have said nothing that would constitute a spoiler about it in the other thread, fwiw.
I know (at least from the page I read).  I decided to not risk it.