Author Topic: how things work around here  (Read 7224 times)

shemptiness

Re: how things work around here
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 07:11:00 pm »
Shock value.  And it's old.

bnyced0

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2007, 07:39:00 pm »
I apologize if I opened the proverbial door for that picture to sneak in under my perhaps unnecessary subject title.  I'd hate to think I was an enabler, but not unwilling to accept any blame I have for leaving the dry kindling out there for the pyromaniac.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2007, 07:02:00 am »
Originally posted by Shemp:
  Shock value.  And it's old.
Though I'll admit I occasionaly find some of Dupek's antics amusing, I do liken much of his attention seeking behavior to that of my 3 year old son as well as that of my dimensia-stricken 72 year old dad.

Look daddy...I put magic marker on the wall!

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2007, 07:15:00 am »
Originally posted by bnyced0:
  I apologize if I opened the proverbial door for that picture to sneak in under my perhaps unnecessary subject title.  I'd hate to think I was an enabler, but not unwilling to accept any blame I have for leaving the dry kindling out there for the pyromaniac.
Yes, it's your fault.

But I get the belt.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2007, 11:18:00 am »
wait...wait...what did I miss?

Oh never mind, don't want to bring up again whatever it was I missed.

I can just see Josh at the door of cyberspace giving 'the nod' then see said culprit floating off into space like a scene from a scifi b-movie.

thirsty moore

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2007, 11:32:00 am »
HAH!  This is an hilarious image!

Originally posted by Roadbike Mankie:
 I can just see Josh at the door of cyberspace giving 'the nod' then see said culprit floating off into space like a scene from a scifi b-movie.

walkonby

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2007, 01:09:00 pm »
wow . . . i never thought i would see the day when reality becomes so confusing that a simple thing called a computer could come along and erase everybody's recall that this thing here called a forum cannot survive on simply talking about music, like some living pulse of an entertainment blogosphere.  a single thread in here can't even maintain it's origin of life for more than five to six posts before a hijacking occurs.  when i first came aboard how ever many years ago, this place was a cesspool of "i've been on here the longest, and my music knowledge kicks that of whom i feel like picking out of the crowd."  oh yeah, i think they talked about the smiths or the pixies some, too.  

surly bonds is the "sort-of howard stern" of this forum.  it's difficult to see the humour, the passion, the perversion that i know is done by him for simple, self esteem issues -- we all do something at sometime, somewhere to feel somehow better than just being a single "me."  and you people fuel the fire of him continuing.  when i would attempt to post my wierd crap in the pupa stages here, the loudest voices to me which changed my tune was hearing the complete ignore.  i received it in vast abundance.  surly, unlike howard, does not have the proper control (sorry bud) over the ability to insert thoughts into written sentences . . . that were better off left in one's head of your revolving philosophies.  he cracks me up, as much as the people who get so fucking offended at him.  it's fiction people.  don't you realize that human speech is nothing more than emotional fiction, until the words are transformed into action.  creed is more than just a horrible band.

oh and surly, in response to your earlier question - no one controls my opinion of anybody.

nkotb

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2007, 02:43:00 pm »
This is my issue with the whole thing.  Of course I think Surly goes overboard more often than not.  And by no means do I believe in anything he says, and often times I wonder if it's even what he thinks.  

But walkonby is right; the easiest way to deal with something you don't like is to just not partake.  Look at the insane abortion arguments that happened here years ago; everyone felt the need to fight for a woman's right to choose and tried to change three random posters' minds about abortion.  Which in turn made them argue more...which in turn made use..which in turn made them...and so on.  The whole thing didn't end until we just stopped posting.  End of issue.

If any of you think that arguing your side of a race or political issue with Surly is going to change his mind is just absurd.  Now, I can't argue with the disturbing images placed randomly in threads (although, IMO, it was just a turd...).  And I don't really have much tolerance for some of the posts that I consider racially bent.  But you know what works best?  NOT READING THEM.

By no means do I think Surly should be banned.  A self imposed exile, maybe, but then again, I can see thatguy & kosmo's point.  This forum is a business-related website, and while Surly is right that a post about dog breeding isn't exactly going to bring $$$ to the club, a post that an outsider might regard as racists certainly could provide unwanted attention.  

Still, I think, when he's on his best behavior, he's a pretty interesting poster, and it would be ashame if he wasn't around.  Maybe we can draw up a truce where he promises to tone it down a bit and others promise to stop feeding into every little salacious comment he makes?

Originally posted by walkonby:
 and you people fuel the fire of him continuing.

eltee

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2007, 02:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by Roadbike Mankie:
I'm visualizing something ala Jay and Silent Bob.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2007, 01:30:00 am »
Damnit, Dupek! You should have taken your meds. I know Dupek has been a bad boy around here lately but he was always one of my favorite posters. Controversial opinions aside, he often started some of the best threads and was always good for laughs. I know a lot of others didn't get his comic side at all but most of the regulars eventually learned to read him properly. Remember when many of us were sad because he went on a purge of all of his posts?        :(        

Shame how we often lose the more creative and witty posters for one reason or another. I remember when several people in here were trying to get Walkonby banned just because he tends to write with such a wonderfully creative flare that didn't sit well with the more straight edged (and I don't mean the Fugazi type) of posters. Those kinds of attitudes I find quite disturbing. (Yes, I know that Walkonby's style was much less disturbing than Dupek's insistance on bringing up bothersome topics. I do get why this all happened.)

I'm hoping that once Dupek calms down that you all will allow him back in. He's not the only one with strong opinions around here. I know that I've sure been insulted and bothered by some from others still on this board though I sometimes keep my mouth/fingers shut. (No, I'm not talking about you Sonick!        :p       ) He just is less afraid to speak his mind and has less people on his side. Life is like that.

Once the dust settles, maybe we can round up Econo to pass around the a peace pipe.

sonickteam2

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2007, 09:58:00 am »
Originally posted by Jaguar:
  He just is less afraid to speak his mind and has less people on his side. Life is like that.  
i believe the problem was that (for me anyway) i didnt really believe that most of what he typed was actually him speaking his mind. i believed it to be re-typing articles he found provoking, passing it off as his views and then purposely taking the unpopular side and making it his own.

its hard to tell obviously, on the internet, but i didnt ever find him genuine, just playing devil's advocate..nothing more nothing less.

i could be off base though.  :)

Marty666

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2007, 05:04:00 pm »
all of this seems rather insignificant when you consider the genocide in dafur, the unrest in the middle east and lactose intolarance.

cant we all just get along?