Author Topic: Who saw Cake?  (Read 2239 times)

MistressKelly

Who saw Cake?
« on: February 01, 2006, 04:50:00 pm »
I was out on the Left Coast and Vegas last weekend seeing INXS shows.  On Sunday, as I was about to fly back to DC, I found out that Cake was playing at Mandalay Bay/House of Blues in Vegas.

Upon querying the t-shirt vendor-types, I found out that they played the 9:30 Club last week?!?!?  How did I miss that?    :mad:  

What day was it and how was the show?

Mistress Kelly

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: Who saw Cake?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 04:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by Mistress Kelly:
  I was out on the Left Coast and Vegas last weekend seeing INXS shows.  
Jackpot!

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 05:30:00 pm »
How were Marty Casey and the Lovehammers?

manniq416

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 09:49:00 pm »
It was Saturday January 21st and it was fantastic.

MistressKelly

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 11:03:00 pm »

MistressKelly

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 11:07:00 pm »
Saturday the 21st?!?  Poopies!  That's when I was in Lincoln City, OR with the band.

This INXS fixation of mine has its pluses and minuses.

Lovehammers were fresh, raucous and very entertaining.  About 4 really catchy tunes (including Trees).  The new album is sort of their greatest hits album in that they've culled the best songs from their four(?) previous self-released cds.  The audiences were attentive and about 3/4 full for them as support.  Pretty good for them.  I've got a video of Trees if anyone wants it.

INXS with newbie JD (Jason) Fortune was amazing.  I am a die-hard INXS fan and one of Michael's gals.  I was ready to hate him.

The whole package of him and the five amazing musicians that make up INXS totally delivered.

Jason's voice is close enough in timbre that if you close your eyes on some of the older tracks, it's almost Michael.  But then you want to open your eyes else you'll miss his boyish demeanor and slinky moves.  Can you tell I gots me a lead singer boy crush?  The new tracks are all JD's and they fit in nicely.

The band sounded sooo tight.  Not only did I not sit down the whole evening, but also I couldn't stop dancing (swaying to the slower songs) all night.  They played just about everything you can think of.  Good long 90+ minute set.  Awesome!

What was the setlist for Cake?  Just tell me I didn't miss Sheep Go To Heaven and/or Italian Leather Sofa?

Kelly

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 12:18:00 am »
  I was out on the Left Coast and Vegas last weekend seeing INXS shows.  On Sunday, as I was about to fly back to DC, I found out that Cake was playing at Mandalay Bay/House of Blues in Vegas.

Upon querying the t-shirt vendor-types, I found out that they played the 9:30 Club last week?!?!?  How did I miss that?     :roll:

manniq416

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 05:43:00 am »

What was the setlist for Cake?  Just tell me I didn't miss Sheep Go To Heaven and/or Italian Leather Sofa?

I don't remember the exact set list, but I do remember Sheep Go to Heaven, Short Skirt and a Long Jacket, Daria, Never There, No Phone (I really can't stand that song...), Love You Madly, Comfort Eagle, aaaaand that's all I can remember right now. I don't remember them playing Italian Leather Sofa, but that could just be because i'm tired.

ayates

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 09:13:00 am »
It was a blast...Gogol Bordello was amazing as well.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 09:40:00 am »
gogol bordello > cake

another great 'gypsy-esque' band is coming through, playing baltimore at rams head on march 20th - Balkan Beat Box...featuring ex-members of gogol bordello + firewater.

alex

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2006, 10:34:00 am »
All around awesome show, I wish more bands would bring out comedians to fill the time between bands.  Gogol Bordello is always fun, as are Tegan and Sara.  And Cake, as usual, was all kinds of fun, especially opening with Frank Sinatra, my favorite Cake song of all time.

MistressKelly

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2006, 11:25:00 am »
Re: rough life

Oh, it is when you a) don't get out much, b) used up all your baby-sitting chits, and c) missed Daria.

Dang!  LOL   Not a major whinge, I just love the music and want to be in all places at all times.

Kelly