Author Topic: Laibach Roll Call.  (Read 2461 times)

Medusa

Laibach Roll Call.
« on: November 04, 2004, 11:40:00 am »
I know some people on this board aren't fond of Nation/its security, but is anyone going to see Laibach tonight?

DJ Strange and myself will be there.

I'm excited - I saw them in 1997 and it was fantastic - anyone sitting on the fence about this gig should GO!   :)  

(Some more information):

Tickets are $15 in advance, $20 at the door.  Doors are at 8 pm, with Open Bar running from 8 pm - 9 pm.

Nation
 1015 Half St SE
 Washington DC

http://alchemy-dc.com/

Cheers

DJ Medusa.

Re: Laibach Roll Call.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 11:43:00 am »
I listened to them 15+ years ago. But tastes change.

twangirl

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 04:15:00 pm »
Thinking about going up to see 'em in Philly tomorrow at the TLA. Would love to read a show review here first.

Medusa

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 08:52:00 pm »
I'll try to write a review if I can.

Needless to say I am off to the gig soon and am very excited!   :)  

P.S.  Didn't know this, but apparently there is a girl in the band with them now.  Pics are here: http://www.laibach.nsk.si/anth_gallery.htm

Cheers

DJ Medusa.

Medusa

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 03:50:00 am »
This was simply amazing.

Anyone who can catch their show in Philadelphia should DO SO!

I will attempt to write more as soon as I can and post the setlist!

Cheers

DJ Medusa.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 03:28:00 pm »
yeah, i really wanted to go....i love their new album...but i came down with the flu, so wasn't able to go...  :(

twangirl

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004, 06:10:00 pm »
Yo Medusa, any more details about the Laibach show? Eddie & I are on the fence about making the drive to Philly. Did they do some old stuff, new stuff, any of their Beatles covers? How were the theatrics? Appreciate any info you can offer.

Medusa

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2004, 08:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by twangirl:
 Yo Medusa, any more details about the Laibach show?
Oh no, I've been out all day with no Internet access and just saw this.

Hope you will see my message/it's not too late!

I thought the show was FANTASTIC, exciting, wonderful, energetic.  Very theatrical - they also have 2 girls with them now who do a lot of the drumming/synchonized moves (they also sing) which is very cool.

They did a fair mixture of older and newer songs (offhand the songs I remember are In The Army, Dogs Of War, Alle Gegen Alle, God Is God, Tanz Mit Laibach, Geburt Einer Nation, and Life Is Life).  I enjoyed everything.

I would definitely suggest you go to Philadelphia if you can.  This band tours SO infrequently that it is worth it.

I'm sorry I can't write a full review now, but hopefully what I have said will suffice for the moment.  :)

I am planning on writing more and including a setlist but unfortunately, I'm on my way out again.

If you go, please post and let us know how it is!  :)

Cheers

DJ Medusa.

Medusa

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2004, 09:29:00 pm »
For over two hours this past Thursday night at Nation, Laibach proved that they are still one of the most fascinating, dramatic and powerful acts still performing.

Beginning with a 15 minute classical introduction featuring music from Tchaikovsky, Laibach took to the stage clad in jodhpurs and trademark military dress.  All members had matching black leather bracelets on both wrists, fastened with silver buckles.

Smoke filled the stage and the visuals began.  The band played a short introductory song and then lead singer Milan came on stage, wearing a black leather skirt apron, sleeveless gray vest, belt with the Laibach symbol in the middle and trademark black hat.  They then launched into "In The Army."

Milan's voice was as gripping and sinister as ever, his eyes piercing and his stances dramatic.  He had definitely aged since the last concert I saw in 1997 - flecks of gray now in his beard, but he was as moving and beautiful a presence as before.

After "Alle Gegen Alle," Milan exited the stage and the band members launched into their second instrumental of the evening.  When "God Is God" ("You shall see hell/You shall see darkness") started, Milan returned shirtless, as he usually performs.  Around his neck was a silver medallion in the shape of the Laibach symbol, which reached to his waist.  During the song, he struck several Christ-like poses.

"Tanz Mit Laibach," the most well-known track from their new album, was up next.  Unfortunately I felt that this song sounded much better recorded than the version they presented live.  However, it was during this song that the next "phase" of the concert began - one which certainly provided a lot of the entertainment for the rest of the night.

Right at the beginning of the song, two girls entered wearing brown-colored military dress (jodhpurs, hats, tall black boots and brown t-shirts with Laibach symbol on).  One girl (Eva) had blonde hair worn in two braids; the other girl had brown hair also worn in braids.  They looked identical in dress, hair style and make-up (red lips and smoky eye shadow).  Both began the task of beating drums completely in sync - obviously routines that required much practice and physical strength, considering how long the songs lasted.  Occasionally they sang as well, augmenting Milan's voice with their own harmonies.

"Hell:Symmetry" (also from the new album) was one of the more poignant songs during this time.  Milan was so focused, as were the girls on either side.  The lyrics "I will take your thoughts/I will make them mine ... Love me, love me not ..." were sung most intensely.

A few songs later, the two girls left and then reappeared back on stage minus their hats, but having changed into skirts.

"Wat" was another foray into extreme intensity.  Smoke, visuals and the austereness of the band all seemed to swirl together, and I was drawn into the spectacle being presented before me.  All was quiet, except for Milan's haunting, deep gravely voice, when he sang "But when our beat stops/And the lights go out/And when we leave this place/You will be left here all alone/With a static scream locked on your face."  You could hear a pin drop, and a shiver ran up the back of my spine.

"Mama Leone" was the only deviation (in terms of sound) from the rest of the setlist.  If you had walked into the concert right at this time, you might have been confused.  For "Mama Leone" is a very soft-sounding classical anthem sung in Italian, featuring sweetly and innocent-sounding singing female voices.

"Ohne Dich" featured some of the most interesting visual footage of the evening.  A vintage black and white slowed-down gymnastic routine (showing a man on the parallel bars) provided the backdrop for this song.  Everything seemed to fit together perfectly.

When the next song began, the two girls took their braids out (now long and flowing hair appeared, with Eva's hair blond with dyed black ends) and began the most intense drum-beating sessions of the night.  Their hair cascaded over their face and shoulders, and back again, as in exact opposition to one another, they moved up and down in their routines.  The mood was wild, powerful and primal.

"Geburt Einer Nation" (one of my favorite songs) proved another of the most powerful.  During "Opus Dei" the visuals intensified once more, featuring Laibach's symbol in flames the whole time.

At the very end, when Laibach left the stage for the final time, they didn't just do so to the cheers of the crowd.  The mood was only heightened because a very dancey, upbeat remix of "Tanz Mit Laibach" kept the energy and excitement going.

Here is the track listing:

1. (Intro)
 2. In The Army
 3. Dogs Of War
 4. Alle Gegen Alle
 5. (Instrumental)
 6. God Is God
 7. Tanz Mit Laibach
 8. Du Bist Unser
 9. Now You Will Pay
 10. Hell:Symmetry
 11. The Great Divide
 12. (Instrumental) (Sung in German)
 13. Achtung!
 14. Das Spiel Ist Aus
 15. WAT (We Are Time)
 16. Mama Leone
 17. Ohne Dich
 18. ?
 19. Sympathy For The Devil
 20. Geburt Einer Nation
 21. Opus Dei (Life Is Life)
 22. (Outro) (Remix of Tanz Mit Laibach)

(End note: I was lucky to encounter the keyboardist later, and completely unexpectedly, he gave me a pass to go backstage.  I did so, and met the two girls, one of the guitarists and later the keyboardist was there too.  Unfortunately I didn't get to meet Milan, but when I heard the band had just flown in from Europe the night before, I completely understood why he wouldn't want to hang around after the concert.  It made the striking performance all the more amazing, considering how little sleep these people had gotten).

Cheers

DJ Medusa.

Medusa

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2004, 12:23:00 pm »
Twangirl -

Did you go to the show in Philadelphia?

Cheers

DJ Medusa.

Jaguär

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2004, 11:23:00 pm »
Great review!
 Wish I could have seen the show. Sounds like it was very good.

Medusa, I have to tell you a secret. When I first saw the picture of them, I was thinking that it sort of looked like you and I with the band.   ;)  Now that would be very cool.

Medusa

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2004, 12:12:00 am »
Originally posted by Jaguär:
 When I first saw the picture of them, I was thinking that it sort of looked like you and I with the band.   :)  

;)

Cheers

DJ Medusa.

Jaguär

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2004, 01:44:00 am »
That's okay. He's all yours as I don't think he's my type. Too macho for me.

Forgot to mention, Doomie is in the band too.     :D  
 Just not sure who can play the other 2 characters.

Medusa

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2004, 02:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguär:
 That's okay. He's all yours as I don't think he's my type. Too macho for me.
Cool.  :)   Didn't look macho in person to me, however - just ... HOT.

Forgot to mention, Doomie is in the band too.  :D
Yes, when I met the keyboardist I was thinking the same thing - they do look VERY much alike.

Thoughts, Doctor Doom, about your (possible) double?

Cheers

DJ Medusa.

Dandy01

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2004, 03:25:00 pm »
I see the resemblance with Doom!  he just has to perfect that pout, lol.