Author Topic: badly drawn boy or british sea power?  (Read 20658 times)

Jaguär

Re: badly drawn boy or british sea power?
« Reply #105 on: November 09, 2003, 05:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by bungle bud:
  jaguar you failed to mention that you turned another person onto the charms of phaser,me, whats that 21 fans thanks to you.

:D      :D      :D  

Actually, it's much, much higher than that. The 20 were only the ones that I know for sure bought the CD.

My strangest connection is a friend from Chicester, England I made online because of Phaser who found out about them indirectly because of me. I had everyone on one board worked up about them and it spread to another board that I wasn't a part of. (Long story short.) She told me that everyone on her board (of another fine Mancunian musician, I might add) was going wild over them.

myuman

« Reply #106 on: November 09, 2003, 09:12:00 pm »
Been out of town since the BSP show, but I felt it was the best show I've seen this year... now that is only drawing from around 20, but hey, that is how I saw it.  As for the album, I think it's a great album.  The only fault I find is that they need a song or two like Beetroot or Insect life near the end of the album. But talk about smooth as glass.  I agree with the person ranking this show better than the Libertines performance.  Both were top notch, but this was the main course.  Phaser was less than stellar I felt.  Wasn't familiar with the "new" material, and it struck me as too slow.  Everything had "sway" tempo.  Life and illusion was terrible sounding from my spot.

ggw

« Reply #107 on: November 10, 2003, 10:48:00 am »
POP MUSIC

Monday, November 10, 2003; Page C05

British Sea Power at Black Cat

Even for those who didn't know that British Sea Power was one of the U.K.'s most idiosyncratic contributions to American culture since Monty Python, it was clear something strange was coming on Friday night when the band's members appeared in military camouflage on a stage liberally decorated with . . . ferns.

Skeptics might wonder whether rockers in the guise of erudite Doughboys are just working a cheap gimmick, and whether they'd have the chops to deliver a solid live show. But BSP's long set at the Black Cat was an unforgettably fearless combination of showmanship and musical passion.

BSP's lead singer, who goes by the name of Yan, looked and sounded like a paranoid young David Bowie overdosing on caffeine. Behind his scampering, sultry vocals was a caterwauling, bass-heavy rhythm section with a masterful tightness that evoked the Pixies. Steering the way melodically was the guitarist, known only as Noble, who wore baggy white winter camouflage and an eerily blank expression as his guitar alternated between pretty, tuneful picking and the shriek of feverish, off-kilter chords.

Together BSP conjured up a hilarious onstage anarchy. Yan (gently) flogged fans in the front row with a huge fern branch, and occasionally swung from low ceiling pipes. At one point keyboardist Eamon, clad in a Russian fur hat, pranced through the audience pounding a marching drum.

Fortunately, these antics didn't distract from the music. BSP raced through crackling versions of songs drawn mostly from their lone LP -- from the screechy ("Apologies to Insect Life") to the lilting ("Carrion") to the anthemic ("Remember Me."). British Sea Power may someday decline, but on this night it achieved something close to supremacy.

-- Michael Crowley

Badly Drawn Boy at 9:30

Take away the between-songs banter, and Badly Drawn Boy -- aka scruffy Brit-popper Damon Gough -- could have wrapped up Friday's 9:30 club gig in 90 minutes flat. But Gough buttoning his lip is like Don Rickles going easy on the zingers. It just ain't gonna happen.

So during a very loose and ultimately likable show, the garrulous 34-year-old, alone onstage for most of the nearly three hours, riffed on such topics as the opening act's bosom, his hatred of Coldplay, his ever-present knit cap and his children.

"I'd appreciate it if you didn't applaud everything I say," BDB admonished the spirited, capacity crowd. "Just the choice cuts."

He eventually got around to singing a few tunes. BDB's prattling may get nasty, but his mixed-genre songs (think Bob Dylan doing the theme for a Japanese game show) prove that he's a softy at heart. Equally adept at piano and guitar -- not to mention chain-smoking -- Gough opened his set with a reggae version of the Jackson 5's "I Want You Back." Then, with a gruff voice straining to be sweet, he casually worked through most of his latest album, "Have You Fed the Fish?," which deals with the perils of being a rock star and a family man.

"You Were Right," a fantasy about turning down Madonna's advances but kindly "getting her tickets for what she needs," was a jaunty rag that wouldn't have been out of place on the back end of "Abbey Road." And the night's highlight, the acoustically gorgeous "What Is It Now?," detailed the mixed emotions surrounding the "surprise" birth of his son Oscar.

After getting a little choked up at song's end, BDB took a long drag on his cigarette and, reverting to form, told the hushed crowd, "Of course, we might have given him away if we didn't like the looks of him."

-- Sean Daly

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A20568-2003Nov10.html

Relaxer

« Reply #108 on: November 10, 2003, 12:15:00 pm »
I thought it was a great show. The Cassettes were good enough that I'd see them again. Quirky but very catchy, and their stage 'look' was classic, especially the guy on the theremin. Phaser was great! And their disc is great! Good call on them. BSP was very good too, but my energy was waning since I'd been up for more than 24 hours at that point.

If there's a better deal for ten bucks, I don't know what it is.
oword

Bags

« Reply #109 on: November 10, 2003, 12:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguär:

Originally posted by bungle bud:
  jaguar you failed to mention that you turned another person onto the charms of phaser,me, whats that 21 fans thanks to you.

:D        :D        :D    

Actually, it's much, much higher than that. The 20 were only the ones that I know for sure bought the CD.
 [/b]
As an FYI, you can put tht count at 21.  Merely from your raves on the Board, Jag, I bought "Sway" at Amoeba records this weekend.  Haven't listened to it yet -- no CD player at my hotel, and I had my iPod, but I'll give a listen this week.

Mongo

« Reply #110 on: November 10, 2003, 12:46:00 pm »
After about 5 glasses of Chiati and tons of garlic infused food at Bucca (wedding rehersal dinner)I looked at my watch and noticed that it was getting too late to try and make it to Black Cat to catch Phaser, which was the main reason I wanted to go in the first place.  Thank god they are local and I can only hope they will play again soon.  

I am luke warm on BSP after listening to thier album several times.  It's good but nothing really seems to grab my attention on it.  It sounds like the put on a great show!  Hopefully they can come back after writing some new material.  

BTW, did Phaser play Last Letter Home?  Anybody get to talk to them and ask them how the new recordings are coming along??

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #111 on: November 10, 2003, 01:05:00 pm »
Definitely a great show. Just the foliage and birds alone make me laugh, so I was bound to have a good time. Lots of energy from both the nand and crowd. Especially the last two songs. And you can't help but love the clothing and the straw crown on the bass player. I was pretty surprised at the devotion of the crowd. Clearly a lot of people were impressed at the Libertines show and returned for more BSP love. And I agree all around that BSP are much better live than on record.

I didn't find The Cassettes to be all that great -though I liked the one song where the guy jammed with the accordian (!). Otherwise, it didn't seem to work. Maybe with more practice they can work out the kinks.

And, as Jag mentioned, Phaser did play a lot of new material. I think I only knew 3 songs. I would say that the new stuff is a lot more accessible and simplistic. I enjoyed it.

And bungle bud, I was actually reaching to get the set list for you -Lol. I made the face because the girl was so grabby and practically knocked you over to get it. Nice to finally meet you, by the way.

P.S. That's a good review from WP.

ggw

« Reply #112 on: November 10, 2003, 01:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by Mongo:
  I am luke warm on BSP after listening to thier album several times.  It's good but nothing really seems to grab my attention on it.  It sounds like the put on a great show!  Hopefully they can come back after writing some new material.  

There really is a substantial difference between their live sound and their recorded sound.  The same material that sounds kind of flat on the disc sounds much more raw and powerful live.  As Jaguar pointed out, the guitars are much stronger live, and I would add say that the drums are as well.  It makes a huge difference.

Mongo

« Reply #113 on: November 10, 2003, 01:50:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Originally posted by Mongo:

There really is a substantial difference between their live sound and their recorded sound.  The same material that sounds kind of flat on the disc sounds much more raw and powerful live.  As Jaguar pointed out, the guitars are much stronger live, and I would add say that the drums are as well.  It makes a huge difference. [/b]
That really doesn't make me feel any better for missing it  :D    I definitely have to see them next time they come around.

markie

« Reply #114 on: November 10, 2003, 01:53:00 pm »
Thanks for the reviewss GGW.

So from that it sounds like you couldnt lose that night. Unusual for the paper.....

Sweetjoy

« Reply #115 on: November 10, 2003, 01:54:00 pm »
I have to say that I was disappointed by Phaser. I was really looking forward to seeing them, and I felt they just didn't deliver. And I can't even blame it on new stuff...I think that oftentimes the test of the quality of a band comes when you enjoy them even if you don't know their material. Much of it was too 'jammy' for me and with too many down-tempo songs...did not adequately get the crowd worked up for BSP's energy.

BSP put on a hell of a show. My only distraction was the couple in front of me that were grinding on each other (not even to the beat, mind you) and making out heavily for the entirety of the show. Sometimes I wonder how people like 'that' find their way into shows where the band doesn't have a hit song on the radio. To each his own, I suppose.

Dandy01

« Reply #116 on: November 10, 2003, 05:54:00 pm »
Not wholly familiar with all of Phaser's material, their songs grabbed my attention (despite the drab and dark setting).  I'm not sure that it was the right opening band for BSP energywise, but I hope it wasn't a total loss for them.  One of my friends is roomates with Paul, but I have yet to meet any of them.  As for BSP, I liked the decor and quirkiness - that last song with the pounding on the drum stayed in my head for quite a while.  I didn't have time to check the board beforehand so had no idea which board members were going, although I tried to keep an eye out from the little I've picked up.

mankie

« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2003, 02:11:00 pm »
BTW. Did anyone come up with a name for the instrumental piece BDB played and said he was open to ideas for a title??

I thought of "music for the test-card"

jpbelmondo

« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2003, 04:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sweetjoy:

BSP put on a hell of a show. My only distraction was the couple in front of me that were grinding on each other (not even to the beat, mind you) and making out heavily for the entirety of the show. Sometimes I wonder how people like 'that' find their way into shows where the band doesn't have a hit song on the radio. To each his own, I suppose.
As a participant in the drunken stomach-churning arrhythmic display witnessed by Sweetjoy, I hereby apologize to each and every audience member at the Black Cat.  I know it’s small consolation, but the consequences of this grievous error in judgment were soon visited upon me in predictably unpleasant ways.