Author Topic: German Footie scandal  (Read 1070 times)

Sir HC

German Footie scandal
« on: February 02, 2005, 08:56:00 pm »
Was in Germany, didn't understand a word other than on CNN, but seems that there was a lot of game fixing going on in Germany.  Refs, players, the lot.  Cool.

HomesickAlien

Re: German Footie scandal
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 01:06:00 pm »
what is going on in Germany? I am from there..

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 01:14:00 pm »
Arsenal have been doing it for years in England!   :D  

The German scandal is that a ref was betting on games then fixing them to his benefit. I think that's the gist of it anyway. If I can find a link to the story I'll post it.

German police target referee trio  

German ref Robert Hoyzer admitted receiving bribes
 Police have raided the homes of three referees implicated in the match-fixing scandal which has hit German football, according to reports.
 Referees Juergen Jansen, Felix Zwayer and Dominik Marks are among 25 people under investigation on suspicion of manipulating 10 matches.

The move came as more than 150 police raided 32 premises in 10 German states on Wednesday.

The scandal began when referee Robert Hoyzer admitted he had rigged matches.

Hoyzer, 25, admitted match-fixing charges in January and has promised to co-operate fully with an ongoing investigation.

A total of 14 players are among those under investigation, although the Berlin prosecutor's office has not named them.

The scandal was ignited when Hoyzer's role in second division Hamburg SV's 4-2 defeat by regional side SC Paderborn came under suspicion.

Jansen, who normally referees matches in the Bundesliga's top division, was pulled from Sunday's Bundesliga match between Werder Bremen and Hansa Rostock.

He has previously denied any involvement in the match-fixing affair.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4229671.stm

Guiny

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 01:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by O'Mankie:

The move came as more than 150 police raided 32 premises in 10 German states on Wednesday.

150 Police???? It's only soccer, real crime must be taking the month off.

Sir HC

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 10:46:00 pm »
It was all over the news.  If I spoke or understood German I could say more, but it was continuously on (I had no clock but the morning news did so I kept it on).