Author Topic: where is girl power striking me dead?  (Read 1624 times)

walkonby

where is girl power striking me dead?
« on: February 03, 2005, 06:48:00 pm »
back in the day when the nine thirty was making it's way around another part of town, and i had a girlfriend who was into all those angry girl groups, i got dragged to these crazy shows by bands with names i don't remember except for two, really: bikini kill and slant-six.  then these bands grew on me, and i was like, "go go girl friend, smash your head on the punk rock and let me taste your pain."  now they are gone, i think. am i wrong?  have they all vultered underground like those crazy rave parties of the late eighties?  i work too much to research and follow every type of music i enjoy, so some help from any man bashers out there would be wonderful.  man bashers are just so darn cute and cuddly.  like monchichis

oh, and for all those people who thought the noice against fascism show sucked or was pointless, i had the greatest time spending about forty-fifty bucks total on a ticket, beer, food, three cds by bands i've never heard of, who once listened to, instantly rule, and by all the other shows i attended in two thousand and four, that's pretty fucking awesome show.  hands down to sonic tooth for creating outlet spaces for discount entertainment.  and members of the bands just walking around as if, "oh i'm band? yeah . . . but let's talk about you for a minute."  come on!  the best part of the night for me was watching lifeless people in the audience watch the future of some sound which is unexplainable at this moment.

no ha-hah is needed

ratioci nation

Re: where is girl power striking me dead?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 06:57:00 pm »
i think you have had enough ha hah

Kathleen Hanna from bikini kill is now in Le Tigre

Girl Power!

sonicdc77

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 07:02:00 pm »
Yeah, you should go check out Le Tigre on 2/22.
 Also check out Shonen Knife at the Black Cat in March.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 09:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonicdc77:
  Yeah, you should go check out Le Tigre on 2/22.
 Also check out Shonen Knife at the Black Cat in March.
I don't know if I'd throw Shonen Knife in with the Bikini Kill/Slant 6 bunch.  SK seems more like happy fun pop music.

Also, I believe part of the BK/Slant 6 crew is now in Casual Dots.  Not as tough as they used to be, but their CD is great.

Bags

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 12:27:00 am »
And, of course, Sleater-Kinney is one of the best rock bands of all time, not just girl rockers.

Jaguär

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 03:37:00 am »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:
  Also, I believe part of the BK/Slant 6 crew is now in Casual Dots.  
Yes, you are right. Not too bad either.

jkeisenh

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 10:51:00 am »
and there are still plenty of grrls, both angry and not, making some big sounds... I'm a big fan of The Gossip, The Quails, The Bangs...  
 Kill Rock Stars is still a label chock full o' great grrl bands, even though SK left 'em.

jodene

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 12:22:00 pm »
Sleater Kinney is the greatest band hands down
 err maybe The Gossip, The Quails, Errase Erata, & check out The Rogers Sister oh and Ari Up is still doin her thing too.