Author Topic: MIA/Justice@Terminal 5/ NJT/NYT  (Read 1939 times)

bull930

MIA/Justice@Terminal 5/ NJT/NYT
« on: October 22, 2007, 12:20:00 am »
Went to both shows at Terminal 5. Must say that this is a pretty cool place by NY standards(could still smell the fresh coat of paint!) They have 3 floors and if you get there before the headliner you should be able to get a seat. No food and $5 a pop for drinks so eat before or after the show.

MIA was great!!! She did all of her songs from the new album and old album. The opening act(The Cool Kids) were good too!

Justice was the next night and they were great too! This was more of a rave/light show but still good. I was very suprised they did their hit D.A.N.C.E in the middle and not at the end. The funny part was they came out for an encore and then left but the crowd thought they were coming back out. You know the show is over when they start breaking down equipment. The opening act Midnight Juggernaut were good, very Prince 80's inspired.

Now on to the trains up there. They are crazy. They remind me of the trains in Japan. You can't say blue line or red line because they'll look at you crazy. They also have an unusual odor on them too. Must say that there is nothing like the good old DC Metro.

All in all a good trip. I would recommend the MIA show @ 930. It is definitely going to be alot more intimate.

If you going to stay up there I would recommend staying in NYC and not out by the Newark Airport. It is too much of a hassle to go back and forth.

helicon1

Re: MIA/Justice@Terminal 5/ NJT/NYT
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 03:14:00 am »
Congrats on what sounds like your first NYC show trip. Back in the day, it was always such an adventure for me.

Yes, the NYC subway system uses an alphanumeric system and smells like hot garbage, but thats part of the charm.

If you want an extremely cheap place to stay in the city, try the Hotel Pennsylvania right across from Madison Square Garden. Don't expect anything swanky; in fact don't even expect clean sheets. But if you just need a place to lay your head for a couple hours, you can't beat the price.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 12:45:00 pm »
funny - if you had taken the time to read my post - youd have noted i said do NOT refer to the lines by the colors. no one uses them. By the way - the subway was on weekend schedules. They are normally fine but weekends are nightmarish.

i think terminal 5 is the worst venue out there. midnight juggernauts were plagued with sound problems. sightlines are hit or miss. way too much of the VIP area. I'd take Webster Hall anytime over this mess. Its still not finished and has the fresh paint smell. Most Bowery clubs do not have food. But there are so many places nearby, its not hard to find.

Justice played an awesome set and I had an amazing view on the 3rd floor. Met up with sweetcell which was cool - as he secured a prime spot. Great set, but felt a bit short. The first DJ was pretty awful and I felt like it was just a waste of time. The plus was its about a 5 minute walk from my apartment, and I did enjoy that. Getting out of the club was a nightmare.

All in all, its not high on my list to go back to. Ill be seeing The Decemberists there, so I'm curious how it will be in another few weeks. I think Midnight Juggernauts would have fared better having played one of the smaller shows at CMJ.
HeyLa

bull930

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 01:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by xneverwherex:
  funny - if you had taken the time to read my post - youd have noted i said do NOT refer to the lines by the colors. no one uses them. By the way - the subway was on weekend schedules. They are normally fine but weekends are nightmarish.

i think terminal 5 is the worst venue out there. midnight juggernauts were plagued with sound problems. sightlines are hit or miss. way too much of the VIP area. I'd take Webster Hall anytime over this mess. Its still not finished and has the fresh paint smell. Most Bowery clubs do not have food. But there are so many places nearby, its not hard to find.

Justice played an awesome set and I had an amazing view on the 3rd floor. Met up with sweetcell which was cool - as he secured a prime spot. Great set, but felt a bit short. The first DJ was pretty awful and I felt like it was just a waste of time. The plus was its about a 5 minute walk from my apartment, and I did enjoy that. Getting out of the club was a nightmare.

All in all, its not high on my list to go back to. Ill be seeing The Decemberists there, so I'm curious how it will be in another few weeks. I think Midnight Juggernauts would have fared better having played one of the smaller shows at CMJ.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....i was on the 3rd floor too.....you can always get seats up there!!!!!

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 01:16:00 pm »
Oh, Justice.

:(
‼‼?‼‼

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 06:49:00 pm »
THE MUSIC: justice was indeed a lot of fun.  me, the GF and xneverwherex were up on the third balcony, dead-center - great bird's-eye view of the stage and dancefloor which was going bonkers.  never thought i'd see crowd-surfing at an electronic music show...  the sound was french house meets heavy metal (expected), bordering on trance at times (unexpected).  in typical fronche fashion, the justice guys were smoking throughout the show.  after the encore, demanding more, the crowd started chanting the words to "we are your friends" over and over.  sounded awesome.  the two dudes from justice came back out on one of the stage balconies and acknowledged the love.  you could tell they wanted to play more but the venue had pulled the plug.

justice put on a very good show, but i kept thinking that they have the potential to put on a great one.  watching two guys tweak MIDI controllers and stare at a laptop doesn't make for a compelling show, although justice did it as well as possible (lots of fist pumping, jumping around between mouse clicks, etc).  daft punk and chem bros *need* the over-top laser/light show because they aren't doing anything up there, visually.  while acceptable for a small club/party/rave, a stack of marshalls and powerful strobes just aren't enough for a concert.  a few cell-cam pix

THE VENUE: terminal 5 is aptly named as it had all the charm and personality of shiny new airport terminal or a new strip mall.  lots of cold steel.  half of the second balcony was reserved for VIP.  lots of bars which is nice, and the floor is huge - i'd say about twice the size of the 930.  lines of sight are pretty bad for the most part.  can't say i'm a fan, but i bet it would be good for a non-sold-out show were you could move around a bit.

Originally posted by bull930:
 If you going to stay up there I would recommend staying in NYC and not out by the Newark Airport. It is too much of a hassle to go back and forth.
depending on your budget and need for creature comforts, the price difference can be tough to overlook.
<sig>

bull930

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 09:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  THE MUSIC: justice was indeed a lot of fun.  me, the GF and xneverwherex were up on the third balcony, dead-center - great bird's-eye view of the stage and dancefloor which was going bonkers.  never thought i'd see crowd-surfing at an electronic music show...  the sound was french house meets heavy metal (expected), bordering on trance at times (unexpected).  in typical fronche fashion, the justice guys were smoking throughout the show.  after the encore, demanding more, the crowd started chanting the words to "we are your friends" over and over.  sounded awesome.  the two dudes from justice came back out on one of the stage balconies and acknowledged the love.  you could tell they wanted to play more but the venue had pulled the plug.

justice put on a very good show, but i kept thinking that they have the potential to put on a great one.  watching two guys tweak MIDI controllers and stare at a laptop doesn't make for a compelling show, although justice did it as well as possible (lots of fist pumping, jumping around between mouse clicks, etc).  daft punk and chem bros *need* the over-top laser/light show because they aren't doing anything up there, visually.  while acceptable for a small club/party/rave, a stack of marshalls and powerful strobes just aren't enough for a concert.  a few cell-cam pix

THE VENUE: terminal 5 is aptly named as it had all the charm and personality of shiny new airport terminal or a new strip mall.  lots of cold steel.  half of the second balcony was reserved for VIP.  lots of bars which is nice, and the floor is huge - i'd say about twice the size of the 930.  lines of sight are pretty bad for the most part.  can't say i'm a fan, but i bet it would be good for a non-sold-out show were you could move around a bit.

Originally posted by bull930:
depending on your budget and need for creature comforts, the price difference can be tough to overlook. [/b]
we all saw each other but didn't know. wonder who else was there from the forum?????