Author Topic: Roll Call: YLT  (Read 3833 times)

nkotb

Roll Call: YLT
« on: October 22, 2007, 09:29:00 am »
Anyone else going?  I'm making my first trip to the Birchmere.  Hooray for food.

Chip Chanko

Re: Roll Call: YLT
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 11:52:00 am »
Looking forward to it. Plus one of the Hanukkah shows this year.

snailhook

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 12:58:00 pm »
i'll be there. make sure you get there early enough to see jack rose, who will 100 times better at the birchmere than at the blowtel.

ggw

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 01:01:00 pm »
Anybody have an extra ticket?

TomJaworski

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 03:17:00 pm »
Definitely there. Always wanted to see YLT in a seated, intimate venue, but I hope they don't refrain entirely from their noise-y stuff on this storytelling tour.

nkotb

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 09:18:00 am »
Great show last night.  I went in feeling a little blah about the whole thing; I couldn't imagine the conversation and toned down feel would do much for the funk I was in yesterday, but I left with a huge smile on my face.

Managed to get a decent seat in the back just in time for Jack Rose, who was absolutely phenomenal.  I had heard his name mentioned around here by snailhook and azahgal, but didn't really know what to expect.  The guy's guitar work floored me.

YLT were perfectly suited for the Storytellers-style show.  They wound up being engaging and downright funny at times.  And they certainly didn't cut back on the rock: from the moment they ripped into "Deeper Into Movies," I know it was going to be a good night.  

The setlist was great, and had a lot of fun surprises.  "Did I Tell You" and "Black Flowers" were great, but those are two of my favorite YLT songs, so I'm biased.  And yeah, "Sugarcube" is probably one of the best songs ever, so that's a given.  But that closing cover of "Be My Baby" was probably the absolute highlight.

Good seeing GGW again, and it was nice finally meeting Snailhook.  Oh, and extra props to James McNew for naming two of my favorite Simpsons episodes as his own personal favorites: Poochy and the Radioactive Man movie episodes.

bearman🐻

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 09:23:00 am »
Did they play "Our Way To Fall"? I'm so bummed that I had to miss this.

terry

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 09:58:00 am »
I was pleasantly surprised at how quick on their feet they were with the audience. I had no idea James would be so funny. Although, the funniest line went to Ira when he couldn't get his laptop to work and someone said it was like a commercial for Apple. Ira immediately said "Not really is it." And continued to get frustrated with it until Georgia helped him out.

ggw

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 10:26:00 am »
Yeah, that YLT set delivered well above my expectations as well.  Q&A is much better than storytelling.  Jack Rose was a treat.  Thanks to snailhook for playing ticket broker.

snailhook

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 12:31:00 pm »
it was great to meet nkotb, and i'm glad i could help out ggw with a ticket. i'm just glad you guys got to finally see jack, who is at the top of his game as one of the best guitarists on earth. i have a feeling that more people will know who he is within a year.

i was completely toast after the long weekend and playing with damo on monday, so the mellowness of the first half of the YLT set had me dozing a little, but "did i tell you" was certainly a highlight. the best part of the show, however, was the encore of "my heart's reflection", which they rarely play, and "be my baby", which just killed me: one of my favorite bands playing one of the best pop songs ever. oh, and YLT were hilarious at times, too.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 12:44:00 pm »
bummed i missed this, just too many shows lately ...

i second bearman's question: did they play "on our way to fall"?  i listen to that song for about a half-hour on repeat before every exam i take, it works remarkably well as a chill-out mechanism ... such a great track ...
(o|o)

Chip Chanko

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 01:45:00 pm »
Possibly? I remember Crying of Lot G and a slow version of Cherry Chapstick but can't recall Our Way to Fall. Great show, though. YLT always delivers. Looking forward to the Saturday Hanukkah show.

For those that were suprised at their humor...read their website. Lots of hilarious stuff there.

Originally posted by Hoya Paranoia:
 i second bearman's question: did they play "on our way to fall"?  i listen to that song for about a half-hour on repeat before every exam i take, it works remarkably well as a chill-out mechanism ... such a great track ...

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 02:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by Chip Chanko:
  For those that were suprised at their humor...read their website. Lots of hilarious stuff there.
or  watch the video to sugarcube
(o|o)

nkotb

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 02:08:00 pm »
Dont' get me wrong...a lot of their site is funny, and Sugarcube (from a music geek perspective) is fucking hysterical.

I just expected more dry storytelling than the Q&A format.  GGW wasn't kidding when he said that really worked out great.

Originally posted by Hoya Paranoia:

Originally posted by Chip Chanko:
or  watch the video to sugarcube [/b]