Author Topic: For those don't like "talkers" at shows...  (Read 1841 times)

paul3mac

For those don't like "talkers" at shows...
« on: April 11, 2006, 02:27:00 pm »
I think Neko Case has a pretty good view...

Pitchfork: Your live show is a weird mix of stark seriousness during the songs and goofball bathroom humor in between, can you explain the dichotomy?

Case: I have a hard time taking myself seriously, so anything serious that does come out is in the songs. My band doesn't take me seriously, which is why I love them. We can't stand up there and pretend. What we're doing is really important to me and it's my job and I love it, but I can't just stand there unflinchingly noble in front of the audience.

I just think of my own experiences going to see shows. For example, I went to see Lucinda Williams in Vancouver and there was this Australian woman opening the show. Nobody had ever heard of her and she was all right, but there were people talking and she just started bitching them out like, "I can't believe you're talking! You don't love music!" I thought, "These people just paid to get into your show and they came to see Lucinda Williams, so if they're gonna talk a little bit, fucking get over it." It would kill me if people felt like that at my show. A live show is one of the last holdouts of a thing that makes you feel a part of a community, where you'll go and maybe meet your future wife or boyfriend, or you're taking your sister to her first show. These are the things that you remember later in your life. So bands shouldn't come and act like, "You're here to stand and be quiet while we do our thing and it's fucking important!" That shit is laughable, arrogant, and stupid.

Re: For those don't like "talkers" at shows...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 02:35:00 pm »
I disagree, but that argument has become boring.

The Australian singer she is referring to is Kasey Chambers.

Sir HC

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 05:08:00 pm »
What about people talking during Lucinda Williams, she doesn't really address that possibility.

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 05:10:00 pm »
Do you mean talking during the headliner, as opposed to someone who is merely the opener?

Originally posted by Sir HC:
  What about people talking during Lucinda Williams, she doesn't really address that possibility.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 06:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by paul3mac:
 These are the things that you remember later in your life.
I can't remember the last 5 shows I've been to, let alone remember them "later in life"
(o|o)

Sir HC

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 06:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakajima, Fired by Mascis:
  Do you mean talking during the headliner, as opposed to someone who is merely the opener?

Originally posted by Sir HC:
[/b]
Yes, as she says:

"These people just paid to get into your show and they came to see Lucinda Williams, so if they're gonna talk a little bit, fucking get over it."

So if they talked during Lucinda would that change things as that is who they supposedly came to see.

To me the limit was Cracker years back where the band was drowned out by the talkers, I left.

paul3mac

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 07:40:00 pm »
I do agree that the 'we paid, we can do whatever we want' argument is old and boring.  Its a favorite of hecklers at baseball games [and I'm sure other venues as well]... or they make millions or we pay their salaries, so they deserve to be obnoxiously heckled and not be allowed to say anything back

anarchist

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 08:37:00 pm »
talking is like smoking is like eating popcorn at a movie theatre.  it annoys the people next to you but you have the right to do it.  if it bothers you, you can always move.