Author Topic: Lorelei/The Lodger at the Velvet Lounge, Sunday 10/28  (Read 1941 times)

snailhook

Lorelei/The Lodger at the Velvet Lounge, Sunday 10/28
« on: October 26, 2007, 02:51:00 pm »
Some of you know Lorelei.  And Public Record's pretty cool, too: a very rhythmic shoegazy band with disparate influences like Afro-beat and Northern soul, featuring Greg Pavlovcak (ex-Ropers/Saturday People).  These two bands already make a great show, but the band that should not be missed is The Lodger, a new Slumberland signing on their first American tour.  This record came out a few months ago and seems to be completely ignored, despite being one of the best new indie-pop records I've heard in recent years (think Wedding Present with a dose of The Smiths and Lush).  Everybody on this board who appreciates well-crafted indie-pop -- unless you have to work or are terminally diseased -- should be at this show on Sunday.

Sunday, October 28
 Velvet Lounge
 915 U St NW WDC
 http://www.velvetloungedc.com
 202-462-3213
 $8, doors at 9pm, 21+

Lorelei (DC, Slumberland, ex-Foundation, mem. of Chessie)
 Public Record (Philly, High Two Records, ex-Ropers/Saturday People)
 The Lodger (UK, Slumberland)

The Lodger
 http://www.thelodger.net/

The Lodger was born in Ben Siddal's Leeds bedsit flat in 2004. Encouraged by local label Dance To The Radio, Ben recruited friends for bass and drum duties, tuned-up with live shows around town and debuted in early 2005 with a track on a Dance To The Radio compilation. The band quickly followed-up with their excellent debut single "Many Thanks For Your Honest Opinion," the "Watching" 7" on Double Dragon, and a track for the hotly-tipped Wrath label's split 7" series.

2006 was when the band got their act together -- a permanent line-up of Ben, Joe and Katie was established and the band went out on the road in the UK with kindred Yorkshire spirits The Research in February. London indie label Angular Records released the band's ace third single "Let Her Go" shortly afterwards. This single won the BBC 6music's Rebel Playlist and started to pick up airplay worldwide. In the summer the band decamped to Alan Smyth's tiny little Sheffield recording studio to record songs for their debut album. Thirteen tracks were recorded in a week in September -- with the addition of "Getting Special" the result is Grown-Ups.

We don't know if it's something in the water or what, but England is fairly bursting with exciting guitar pop bands right now, and The Lodger are amongst the brightest hopes. Taking their cues from fellow northerners The Smiths and The Wedding Present, The Lodger's music is classic melodic pop, fueled by sparkling hooks and plangent lyrics. The tunes are sharp and timeless, a thoroughly modern distillation of great Britpop from the '60s right up to today.

From the summertime sing-along of "Kicking Sand" to the gorgeous "Let Her Go" and the perfect gem that is "Unsatisfied," Grown-Ups is a perfect introduction to the thrilling pop charms of The Lodger: packed with distinctive, effortlessly catchy pop tunes that burst with enthusiasm and demand to be heard.
 What??s been said about Grown-Ups

??Full of glittering gems, Grown-Ups is proof that the best things come in small packages. You won't hear a better album this year, we promise you that.? - This Is Fake DIY

??A promising debut indeed, and worth the wait - it's definitely time to treat yourself to a good Lodgering.? - Playlouder

??Grown-Ups is an album full of classy indie-pop numbers set against wistful and occasionally biting lyrical content. With this release The Lodger certainly aren't going to be moving out anytime soon. (4/5)? - Leeds Music Scene

??The beauty of this debut is how well it works as an album - if the singles have passed you by, take forty minutes out of your life to let The Lodger lament in their understated, but magnificent, way. (4.5/5)? - Clickmusic

??A very complete and accomplished album that should be an inspiration to all those who are truly operating in the world of independent releases. Buy this. (4/5)? - Manchestermusic

??It's such a pleasure to sit down with an album that delivers such a wealth of intelligence and emotional luxury with such economical precision. (9/10)? - Whisperin & Hollerin

BookerT

Re: Lorelei/The Lodger at the Velvet Lounge, Sunday 10/28
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 03:05:00 pm »
i like the lodger record, although it kinda gets on my nerves at times. still very solid, though. i actually think public record is the band not to miss on sunday. incredibly solid triple bill, though. i will be there.

snailhook

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 03:28:00 pm »
what gets on your nerves about the lodger? i do think one song is kind of annoying, but the rest (13 out of 14 songs) is indie-pop gold. we're usually on the same page with this stuff, so i'm curious to hear your opinion.

BookerT

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 03:33:00 pm »
oh, it's just a minor complaint and probably more a general twee thing, honestly. it's just like how if i listen to too much field mice i'll get a little peeved after a while. i even get that way during "george best" at times. minor quibbles. it's a very solid record.

snailhook

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 03:35:00 pm »
i hear that. as much as i love the field mice and trembling blue stars, sometimes their recordings get a bit too twee. the lodger generally has more sonic bite than those bands, though.

Sir HC

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 05:20:00 pm »
So how is the reformed Lorelei?  I saw them back in the day, they were great then.  I might be able to make this one...

snailhook

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 07:12:00 pm »
lorelei is sounding pretty good, IMO. i never got to see them back in the '90s, but i have their record. most people seem to agree they haven't lost a step.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 12:13:00 am »
Slumberland Records is still signing up bands? That's news to me. I met the owner (Mike I believe is his name) in the Bay Area a couple times at Aisler's Set shows. I believe he used to live in DC and relocated Slumberland in Oakland or Berkeley...
(_|_)

snailhook

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 05:19:00 am »
that's mike shulman. he moved to the bay area in the mid-'90s. slumberland rarely releases any new records, so when they do, it is cause for celebration, especially since the record is bound to be good. the aisler's set, the saturday people, and the 14 iced bears reissue were the last batch, about 4-6 years ago, before the lodger album.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 08:56:00 am »
sounds like a great lineup...

what time will the first band go on?

i think i can make it after the weakerthans show  :)
(_|_)

snailhook

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 12:59:00 pm »
first band will go on at roughly 9:30. i have the lodger first but they may end up playing in the middle. lorelei is definitely headlining.

BookerT

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 10:59:00 am »
another stellar clavius production!

azaghal1981

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 11:02:00 am »
I'll probably catch them and the antiques at the black cat. Liked the antiques set I saw opening for spectrum a lot.
احمد