Author Topic: Live Earth @ National Mall (Garth Brooks/Trisha Yearwood  (Read 3587 times)

alex

Re: Live Earth @ National Mall (Garth Brooks/Trisha Yearwood
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2007, 06:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
 aside: there was some sort of a gospel/religious concert on the mall itself.  my girlfriend put forth the hypothesis that it was a conservative/republican anti-live earth concert, "if we can't stop them then we'll block them with a more visible show".  *if* that was the case, didn't work.
I'm almost positive that gospel thing was scheduled long before Live Earth came to be, and is the reason that Live Earth couldn't use the mall to begin with.

wow, what a disappointment... first we're denied the main event (the one that is now at Giant stadium), and then they add insult to injury with this line-up?  what with the last-second announcement, i'd doubt that many people will show up.
What are you more worried about, the music or the message?  If the latter were the case, would having two mainstream country acts be a little better, so the message could get out to some people who might not be all that into it, rather than preaching to a chior that fills Giants Stadium?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2007, 10:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by Brandon Brendall, the thief:
  I'm almost positive that gospel thing was scheduled long before Live Earth came to be, and is the reason that Live Earth couldn't use the mall to begin with.
if that was the case, it was unfair IMO... there were 20-30 people at the gospel thing, and most of those seemed to be other performers/members of the group (they were all wearing the same red t-shirt).  the PA was tiny, but still too big for that number of people in attendance.  the live earth thingy, tucked away in a corner of the museum, was in too small a space - some people were walking away because they couldn't get a decent view/spot (i will say that it's location afforded attendees some much needed shade).  but fair is fair, if the 40-person gospel thingy (including performers) asked first, then the hundreds of live earth attendees can't complain too much.

What are you more worried about, the music or the message?  If the latter were the case, would having two mainstream country acts be a little better, so the message could get out to some people who might not be all that into it, rather than preaching to a chior that fills Giants Stadium?
i was being faceous.  of course having two big-name mainstream acts is better than nothing for getting the message out.  and i'm not sure that Giant stadium was filled with a choir of greenies - i'd bet there were a lot of middle of the road folks there for big concert, and who hopefully had their enviro consciousness raised a little.  i'm sure there were also both tree huggers and unrepentant SUV owners as well.  i feel a threadjack coming on...
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2007, 08:28:00 am »
seeing the beasties do sabotage on bravo's coverage bums me out that they are playing Vfest, which I've all but given up  on due to the Police stinking up the place so bad.  just not worth VIP money at this point, so the weather is the factor at this point...  i think that was Money Mark playing keyboards with them again.

leave it to the Police to turn a train wreck into a toxic spill by brining out Kanye West and John Mayer with them, OMG did that Stink

oh and Roger Waters seemed like he would have been worth seeing, so that makes two artists from the US show.
T.Rex

bnyced0

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2007, 09:18:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo:
  seeing the beasties do sabotage on bravo's coverage bums me out that they are playing Vfest, which I've all but given up  on due to the Police stinking up the place so bad.  just not worth VIP money at this point, so the weather is the factor at this point...  i think that was Money Mark playing keyboards with them again.

leave it to the Police to turn a train wreck into a toxic spill by brining out Kanye West and John Mayer with them, OMG did that Stink

oh and Roger Waters seemed like he would have been worth seeing, so that makes two artists from the US show.
I don't know how it came across on TV or even if it was televised but Melissa Etheridge was really solid live, as was Roger Waters, KT, and the Pumpkins.  I thought Fall Out Boy and Taking Back Sunday were the same band, so were surprised when they played twice.  

I'm not a bon jovi fan really, though I did see them on their first tour when I was in high school and thought they were pretty good but my tastes were a lot heavier so I never really followed them after that, but I didn't know they had evolved into what I imagine is on easy listening radio, everyone around me was singing word for word and when I say everyone I mean from about 12-80 years old, there were like 6 generations of one family and every male member was trying to keep the mullet alive.

By the time they (BJ) were done, I was kind of thinking perhaps if global warming could be targeted to take out certain people from New Jersey that perhaps it wouldn't be such a bad thing.

It was hot early, but everything wrapped up by 10, and I bailed on the police so I didn't see the train wreck everyone's talking about, but I could imagine, I heard early in the day Kanye was going to play with them, the news alone was enough for me to hit the road early to catch Fujiya & Miyagi.

All and all it was an entertaining day, but I don't think shit was accomplished if the people around me were any indication, half of them didn't even know what message the concert was trying to convey, it was just a chance to tailgate and see Bon Jovi and Dave Matthews, and there must have been a mass give away up there because no one I spoke with paid for their tickets.  Felt kinda like TC at Merriweather a few weeks back, where EVERYONE seemed to have backstage passes.

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 09:34:00 am »
Did it ever occur to her that people can both have religious convictions and be pro-environment?

aside: there was some sort of a gospel/religious concert on the mall itself.  my girlfriend put forth the hypothesis that it was a conservative/republican anti-live earth concert, "if we can't stop them then we'll block them with a more visible show".  *if* that was the case, didn't work.

-  

bnyced0

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 09:40:00 am »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  Did it ever occur to her that people can both have religious convictions and be pro-environment?

-  [/b]
[/QB]
Yes, an environment free of non-believers, and of course one free of those that don't share their religious beliefs...or are we talking about a different environment  :roll:

edbert

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2007, 10:06:00 am »
 aside: there was some sort of a gospel/religious concert on the mall itself.  my girlfriend put forth the hypothesis that it was a conservative/republican anti-live earth concert
Probably not, because they regularly have evangelical events down there, and have done so all throughout the Bush admin.  Many of them are representing programs getting federal grants via 'faith-based initiatives', Cha-Ching! The biggest one I encountered might've been the Louis Palau shindig, which sought to associate evangelical Christianity with Xtreme sports.  But the funniest was more recently: there was a band playing Christian Rock on this way-huge stage with a massive PA system.  There was no audience so I figured it was a warm-up for something. Then I realized that it was the actual show, and as I crossed the lawn at a distance the singer beckoned the people who where crossing the lawn to come down closer to the stage... I looked around and I was the only person crossing the lawn

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2007, 10:06:00 am »
the melissa was televised but after 20 minutes into her single song plus rant it was time to move along....
T.Rex

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2007, 11:54:00 am »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
did i write anything that should make you think otherwise?  we're talking about one specific instance, and you're taling about all religious people everywhere.

(FYI, she's very involved with her religion and is certainly one of the hippiest, greenest tree-huggers you'll come across - so she knows for a fact that the religious can be enviros since she is one)
<sig>