Author Topic: Club Pixxx  (Read 2405 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Club Pixxx
« on: November 11, 2004, 12:22:00 pm »
any egregious omissions?

FRIDAY

John Fogerty, lead singer/songwriter of the legendary Creedence Clearwater Revival, makes a rare â?? and sold out â?? appearance at 930 Club.

Donâ??t be turned off by their overtly Christian themes. Pedro the Lion, at Black Cat, creates excellent soul-baring indie rock for all stripes.

Soulive, at The State Theatre, refuses to be pigeonholed as a jam band. Their innovative fusion of jazz, funk, and soul is top-notch.

The newly formed Liberation Dance Party, at DC9, is making a name for itself by spinning the hottest indie rock, electronica, and hip-hop.

SATURDAY

Catch renowned Grateful Dead cover band Dark Star Orchestra at one of their three acoustic gigs this weekend at the Birchmere.

Matthew Sweet, one of the best songwriters of the 90s, plays an early 7pm show at 930 Club.

Earlimart brings their critically acclaimed indie pop stylings to whatâ??s sure to be a jammed Velvet Lounge.

Mousetrap, Black Catâ??s monthly Britpop dance party, remains one of the best places in the city to hear new music and old favorites.

SUNDAY

Itâ??s a big night for alternative rappers at local schools. While The Roots are at Cole Field House at UMD, Black Eyed Peas take their advertiser-friendly beats to GWU.

The Delgados, at Black Cat, are the kings of modern Scottish pop music. Donâ??t miss openers Crooked Fingers, featuring ex-Archers of Loaf frontman Eric Bachmann.

Industrial metal trailblazers Fear Factory, at 930 Club, co-headlines with Lamb of God, a more traditional death metal group from Richmond.
(o|o)

Bags

Re: Club Pixxx
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 01:09:00 pm »
I think you should mention Velvet Crush opening for Matthew Sweet -- makes for an excellent power pop bill.

Also, no mention of the late Blues Explosion show?

QUESTION -- anyone think Delgados will sell out?

eltee

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 02:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  I think you should mention Velvet Crush opening for Matthew Sweet -- makes for an excellent power pop bill.

Same questions as Bags. Also, I would delete the time for Matthew Sweet. Stick w/ "early". (It's inconsistent since you didn't provide times for other shows. Besides, it's 6 pm doors. )

eltee

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 02:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:
  Donâ??t be turned off by their overtly Christian themes. Pedro the Lion, at Black Cat, creates excellent soul-baring indie rock for all stripes.
Exit Clov and Starflyer will be there too.  :D

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 03:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sugartastic Tee Silk:

Same questions as Bags. Also, I would delete the time for Matthew Sweet. Stick w/ "early". (It's inconsistent since you didn't provide times for other shows. Besides, it's 6 pm doors. ) [/b]
good points all around ... i sent them along to my editor ...

re: blues explosion -- there's only so many 930 club shows I can list in here, two on saturday and one each on fri/sun is pushing it, so i made the choice to go with m.sweet ... plus i never have enough metal in there   :D
(o|o)

ggw

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2004, 03:56:00 pm »
Then why don't you drop Fogerty, since it's already sold out.

For whom do you write?

re: blues explosion -- there's only so many 930 club shows I can list in here, two on saturday and one each on fri/sun is pushing it, so i made the choice to go with m.sweet ... plus i never have enough metal in there    :D  

eltee

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2004, 04:12:00 pm »
... re: blues explosion
If people go to Matthew Sweet, they will probably stick around the club anyhow. (9:30 email late show offer:)) and Blowoff in the Backbar at 10 PM.
 Shall be quite the evening...

eltee

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2004, 04:40:00 pm »
  I think you should mention Velvet Crush opening for Matthew Sweet
They will also be his backing band.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2004, 04:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?˘:
  Then why don't you drop Fogerty, since it's already sold out.

For whom do you write?

re: blues explosion -- there's only so many 930 club shows I can list in here, two on saturday and one each on fri/sun is pushing it, so i made the choice to go with m.sweet ... plus i never have enough metal in there     :D  
[/b]
Because it's Fogerty!! I just try to give people a diverse list of cool things going on, I've found out about a sold-out show before and miraculously gotten tickets (good ole craigslist).

Washington Post Express.
(o|o)

Jaguär

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2004, 09:01:00 pm »

Exit Clov and Starflyer will be there too.        :D       [/b]
Starflyer 59        ;)    

Also, Giant Sand with The Handsome Family at Iota on Sunday.

And then there's Elefant, Hail Social and Battersea at The Ottobar on Saturday but that's in Baltimore which is probably out the area that you intend to cover.

You should also include Saccharine.

brennser

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2004, 09:12:00 pm »
QUESTION -- anyone think Delgados will sell out?  
I completely forgot they were playing here again so soon - has anyone got an opinion on their new album - as for selling out I doubt it - was plenty of room the last time they were here

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2004, 11:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguär:

Exit Clov and Starflyer will be there too.         :D        [/b]
Starflyer 59         ;)      

Also, Giant Sand with The Handsome Family at Iota on Sunday.

And then there's Elefant, Hail Social and Battersea at The Ottobar on Saturday but that's in Baltimore which is probably out the area that you intend to cover.

You should also include Saccharine. [/b]
Too late to get saccharine in ... also looks pretty similar to DC9 on friday ... anyone know which will be better?

never heard of between friends, did a search for it and it just came up in gay bar guides.
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2004, 11:15:00 pm »
by the way, is there any comprehensive listing of dj nights (especially indie stuff) around the city? seems like there's a lot of good shit going on (marx cafe, saint-ex, etc), but it feels like it's always a struggle to figure out what's going on.
(o|o)