Author Topic: The Gris Gris tonight at the Warehouse  (Read 1788 times)

snailhook

The Gris Gris tonight at the Warehouse
« on: September 09, 2004, 04:07:00 am »
anybody hear these guys yet? they're playing at the warehouse tonight with the cuts (who share the same label, birdman) and thee snuff project.

i got their debut album last month and it is easily one of the top five albums i've heard all year. the songwriter is a young (22 years old) guy from LA via texas, who channels the spirit of roky erickson and the 13th floor elevators. the record is drenched in reverb and mind-altering effects, and the songs range from dirty psych-punk a la the seeds and the music machine to tweaked epics in the vein of love, silver apples, and barrett-era pink floyd. i haven't been this excited for a show in a while.

the cuts have two records out and are along the lines of the more melodic wing of post-punk, like television and wire. thee snuff project are one of the best local bands, and more people should know them. they're good enough to be on in the red or sympathy for the record industry.

check it out if you're into classic psych-punk.

$8, all ages, doors at 8:30, show at 9

9pm: the cuts
 10pm: the gris gris
 11pm: thee snuff project

snailhook

Re: The Gris Gris tonight at the Warehouse
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 04:31:00 pm »
more press for this show, since it seems the demand is out of control:

the gris gris  

The place is Oakland-ish, California and the medicine-fueled dream has ended. The waking moments of young Greg Ashley find the psychedelic troubadour and guitar hero creating a new, exciting sound quartet:

The Gris Gris have arrived. A child is born, created out of the embers of all the distortion blissed-out feedback the devil birthed in Texas circa 1967. Roller coasting from the surreal goodness of Ashley's Medicine Fuck Dream to Can-flavored head-bobbing environments, to that particular corner of garage rock that testified to the Detroit losers in the guise of BACK FROM THE GRAVE and NUGGETS compilations…the Gris Gris' debut on Birmdan is a rock and roll ride that will save some and rattle the rest. The live show is breathtaking as Ashley screams with his guitar over one of the most solid, undulating rhythm sections ever put together.

With his solo debut album on Birdman, Medicine Fuck Dream, the world of Houston-turned-Oakland psych master Greg Ashley was entered and the seeds were planted. Like fellow Texan-bred Roky Erickson and Mayo Thompson, infused with a little Syd Barret and Skip Spence (and maybe even a little Jeff Mangum from Neutral Milk Hotel), Ashley creates atmospheric pop meanderings that are filled with sentimental purpose and dark fuzzy edges. On par with the workings of the mightily enigmatic Brother JT, Ashley recorded his solo album all himself, played it all himself, and sang it all himself, except for one song by his friend John.

Now with a full band, Greg Ashley's world explodes and curious vacationers everywhere can take the trip directly into the center of his mind this summer with THE GRIS GRIS -- 40 minutes and 16 seconds of truly organic psychedelic BLISS.

Greg Ashley's quartet, THE GRIS GRIS, debut with their first self-titled full-length on Birdman Records August 9th, 2004.

My record-collecting friend Jake told me recently that he's boycotting one of his favorite New York City record stores. The store and Jake had a deep love affair—the owner even kept a cache of records behind the counter just for Jake, nerd love letters waiting to be unwrapped. But lately this stockpile, containing mostly new garage rock, had burned him too many times, and now it was just easier to walk right by the store than to tell the owner, "Dude, I'm over reverb-damaged college kids with bangs." This sad story is made sadder still by the existence of the Gris Gris—the finest example of psych-rock since psych-rock entered a Texas mental hospital. Sure, the Bay Area band's new self-titled album delivers the sort of late-'60s ventriloquism the genre's nostalgists demand—all hazy atmospherics and sonic dive bombs—but it adds indelible melodies you won't forget. Think of Galaxie 500 blotter paper when the Gris Gris plays with the Cuts and Thee Snuff Project at 8:30 p.m. at the Warehouse Next Door, 1017 7th St. NW. $8. (202) 783-3933. (Jason Cherkis)

the cuts  

Modern day psychedelia — coming right at you with lightning speed. The Cuts' self-titled LP is finally available on everyone's favorite digital format! Several years ago rock scribe and all around tastemaker Mark Murman released this album on vinyl on his superb Rock'n'Roll Blitzkrieg label. The Cuts had already released a single for Lookout Records that displayed a straight-ahead punk/garage/rock'n'roll style ala DMZ or the Real Kids (and no one currently alive on Earth does not absolutely adore DMZ and the Real Kids), but by the time they recorded their first full length they had already moved on to a more psychedelic sound (by way of late '70s NYC). Did someone say "13th Floor Elevators meets Television"? The Cuts stand apart from any contemporary garage rock purveyors. Tough as nails, neurotic, simplistic, big, deep, catchy and devastating all at the same time. Genuine decathlon scorch.

"Set free after one EP and left to their own devices, The Cuts retreated to a muddy woods where they stumbled across Sky Saxon declaring himself as their own personal Yoda. Taking what they needed and ignoring his cosmic declarations they wandered back to the bright streets.… This ain't the fake 'look at my white belt” garage rock. It's dirty fuzz invented the day before psychedelic rock (the war and LSD terror, not the flowers-and-weed scene). Even when they sound like they wannna have a good time, you're waiting for someone to sneak up from behind and stick a knife in your back.” - Smashin' Transistors

thee snuff project  

"...This DC-based crew has one goal: to make rock and roll. All other things be damned, The Snuff Project has too much attitude to care about anything else, but not enough to make this fact painfully obvious. It's this attitude that drives their debut as well as their live show. With plenty of swagger and noise, Dyin' Ain't Much of A Livin' refuses to be ignored... Every Snuff Project song rages at an exhausting one hundred and ten percent, and after a full serving you'll either find yourself ready to strip, drink, fight or pass out. And that's what rock is all about isn't it? Their heroes would be proud, but this band probably wouldn't give a fuck."
 —— SUP

"It's been quite awhile since we've heard a blast of rock with as much force and presence as this DC quartet. You could say these guys know how to be sloppy inside the lines - meaning that they know how to be tight and loose at the same time, and in the best of ways... ferocity and swagger in equal measure."
 —— Time Out New York

"This four-piece throws their influences like The Stooges, The MC5, even a bit of 'Nuggets' style garage rock - into a trash barrel and lights it up with a blowtorch. When singer Scott Taylor screams 'don’t forget the cocaine' in 'A Little Strange' - you know better not to show up empty-handed at the next house party."
 —— EarCandy

"...Opening for Rocket From the Tombs was the seriously seedy Thee Snuff Project. The local outfit smashed through a set of ragged bursts of noise, taking the traditional guitar-bass-drums-vocalist and injecting it with a bad attitude, some intoxication and smart songs. Fifteen years ago, the band would have been on the AmRep label. In the decidedly un-rock District, it stands out as unaffected by trends and content to make a racket."
 —— The Washington Times

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 04:42:00 pm »
Wow...sounds way way up my alley but I can't get out tonight.  I'll have to track down some product by this band.

shoot ur shot

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 05:19:00 pm »
so whats your top 5 snaily?

i dont do lists but off the top i would say mine is something like madvillain, converge, head automatica, sunn o))), today is the day, xiu xiu, sonic youth, the un, dillinger, hella, the cure,leak bros and jolie holland. theres more but those are the ones that come to me off the top.

snailhook

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004, 05:28:00 pm »
chaz, knowing what i know from your posts, these bands are definitely up your alley.

top five records this year so far? these are all close:

ghost - hypnotic underworld
 sonic youth - sonic nurse
 mission of burma - on-off-on
 the gris gris - s/t
 josephine foster & the supposed - all the leaves are gone
 comets on fire - blue cathedral
 jack rose - raag manifestos
 pentagram - show 'em how
 wilco - a ghost is born (yeah, it's that good)
 sharron kraus - songs of love and loss
 blonde redhead - misery is a butterfly

i have yet to hear the new sunno))) and converge albums, but i bet those will be close. also awaiting the new thalia zedek, landing, and paik albums.

Jaguär

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 11:54:00 pm »
Man, why can't this show be Saturday night?

3WK.com (Underground) has been playing the Landing song called Fluency Of Colors. Not positive if that's new or not but it's good. I've got the Centrifuge EP and it's not on there. Centrifuge is much more laid back and ambient compared to Fluency Of Colors which is a little more accesible and, well, lively.

I also have the new one by Paik called Satin Black and it's very good; however, I'm thinking that I may still like The Orson Fader a little better. Need to listen even more but it's a toss up. You'll definitely like it.

Can't wait to get my hands on a real copy of the new Air Formation CD. It's very good. That and a copy of Codename Dustsucker by Bark Psychosis which is their latest work. First in years, in fact.

shoot ur shot

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 02:18:00 am »
oh yea the microphones lp is pretty amazing

snailhook

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004, 04:24:00 pm »
well, the cuts cancelled to gear up to open for the black keys this month, so last night was only the gris gris and thee snuff project. the gris gris played for 35 minutes and it was one of the most exhilarating sets of intense psych i've ever experienced. greg ashley sang through a reverb-drenched vintage '60s mic and played an acoustic guitar with distortion as well as a couple of beautiful vintage electrics. the keyboardist played a farfisa (or some other classic analog synth) and spent the whole first song sculpting feedback from the amps. the rhythm sections was tight, and their music came off as its own thing; though the gris gris pay homage to plenty obscure/seminal psych bands, they regurgitate it in such a way that it stands on its own.

thee snuff project kept it short and sweet as well, offering up about six songs of furious bent garage.