Author Topic: more fun with pay what you want.  (Read 2595 times)

sonickteam2

Re: more fun with pay what you want.
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2007, 01:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  I'm pretty sure I mentioned this here...
maybe no one wanted to read your long ass article!

vansmack

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 01:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by le sonick:
It was the second, shorter article about Trent Reznor, but you're probably right.
27>34

Cali

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2007, 04:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by le sonick:
that made me chuckle

Darth Ed

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2007, 01:20:00 am »
Jane Siberry (Issa) has been doing this since 2005 with her independent record label, Sheeba Records:

http://www.sheeba.ca/store/index.php?cPath=21

Wikipedia says the following:

In 2005, Siberry pioneered a self-determined pricing policy through her website on which the purchaser is given the choices of: standard price (about $0.99 USD/track), pay now - self-priced, pay later - self-priced, or "a gift from Jane". Her music is now only available in mp3 format in order to eliminate plastic waste. In an interview with The Globe and Mail, Siberry confirmed that since she had instituted the self-determined pricing policy, the average income she receives per song from Sheeba customers is in fact slightly more than standard price.

yohansen5b

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2007, 10:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by mbg73:
  I still don't see what's so revolutionary about Radiohead selling their album via download a couple months before the CD's for sale, even if they let you pay what you want.  Isn't it more or less the same as when Wilco put YHF up as a download prior to the CD being released, only they didn't charge at all?  
that's what i've been saying since i first heard about this.  wilco has released their last THREE albums for free long before they're ever released in stores.  i think it's very cool that radiohead did what they did but wilco did it several years earlier and several times more.