Author Topic: CALLING COMPUTER NERDS -- advice needed  (Read 5059 times)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: CALLING COMPUTER NERDS -- advice needed
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2005, 05:46:00 pm »
These Faststor DLT Autoloaders  are nice.  They should have plenty of space for ya.

vansmack

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2005, 08:19:00 pm »
It depends on why you're backing up your data.

The cheapest and probably most reliable solution is to mirror two hard drives.  They run concurrently, but your system only uses one.  Everything you put on one is mirrored on the other automatically.  If the master fails, you put the other one as the master and replace the mirror.  If the mirror fails, you replace the mirror.  The chances of 2 hard drives failing at the same time is very slim, except in the case of fire, flood or being stolen.  Of course if you have a fire, flood or some other terrible act, your external HD probably got destroyed/taken too, and so did the 60 DVD's you just burned.  With the plummeting price of hard-drives, you could replace 2 hard drives for the same price of an external HD.

Add up the total cost of a DVD burner and 40-60 DVD-RW's and see how many hard drives you could buy for that (or better yet, how many of the actual CD's you could have purchased to have a permanent and legal back-up of your data).  

In my experience, the failure rate for external HD's is much higher than the failure rate for internal HDs.  There are a lot of factors for this, but most often it's their portability that leads to their downfall.

The other nice thing about mirroring is that it's automatic.  You don't have to do a weekly back-up - every time create a file, you have a spare copy on the mirror.  With the external and DVD solutions, you have to follow a regimen to make sure that your back up is current, and be certain that you got everything. Not a problem with mirroring.

If you do decide to use the External HD or DVD option, for god's sake, please don't store them in the same location as your data.  70% of the time you lose them both at the same time.

For the record, I now mirror 2 150 GB hard drives after going through 3 external hard drives, 2 of which I never took with me anywhere.  It's been a year now and haven't had to replace either internal hard disks (knocks on wood).
27>34

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2005, 09:27:00 pm »
interesting ... thanks a lot smackie for your input ...

in response to your DVD $$ question, I can get a good DVD writer (good speed, dual-layer, +-, RW, etc) for about $60, and DVD+RWs for about $1 a piece .... so about $110 for the DVD+RW drive and 50 DVD+RWs, about the same price as a 200gb internal HD

only problem is that I only have 1 extra slot in my mini-tower for a new HD ... I'm no computer expert and I wouldn't feel comfortable replacing my main HD, I'd rather just add one on

I also eventually want a DVD-RW for other reasons than just backing up my music, so I think it's worth it for me ... I assume there are programs that simplify the backup process (recognize which files have changed, remind you to backup), like they used to have with tape-backup stuff ...

and, yes, I'll definitely keep the DVDs somewhere else

thanks again for your help ...much appreciated ...
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2005, 09:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by ratioci nation:
  i dont really back my music up, but if it is for music, i would suggest external just because it is so convenient, you could move it to any computer easily, I keep my music on a 160gb external
usb 2.0 or firewire?  hows the transfer rate?  is there a noticeable lag when you're playing music?

the external drive is intriguing, but i've heard a lot of horror stories with them getting fucked up, like smackie was saying ... if i'm planning on keeping this PC for a while, i'm thinking internal may be the way to go...
(o|o)

ratioci nation

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2005, 11:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:
 usb 2.0 or firewire?  hows the transfer rate?  is there a noticeable lag when you're playing music?

the external drive is intriguing, but i've heard a lot of horror stories with them getting fucked up, like smackie was saying ... if i'm planning on keeping this PC for a while, i'm thinking internal may be the way to go...
it is a firewire drive hooked up to a 2nd generation imac, and the only hard drive failure I have had was the internal drive on the imac, I think I had a small problem with the firewire drive but I fixed it with disk utility software, I think the problem was exacerbated by the internal drive problems, I have had the drive for over 2 years and i know other people who have had an external drive for a couple of years with no problems

I have had no lag problems

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2005, 11:33:00 pm »

it is a firewire drive hooked up to a 2nd generation imac, and the only hard drive failure I have had was the internal drive on the imac, I think I had a small problem with the firewire drive but I fixed it with disk utility software, I think the problem was exacerbated by the internal drive problems, I have had the drive for over 2 years and i know other people who have had an external drive for a couple of years with no problems

I have had no lag problems
cool, thanks for the low-down ...

if anyone cares (and i have no illusions that you do), i went with:
  NEC 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Drive
  Seagate 200GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive
(o|o)

Jaguär

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2005, 11:40:00 pm »

I have had no lag problems [/b]
Did the other people have Firewires or USB? This is an issue that I've contemplated myself. Also, I have to consider that I'm not enough of a nerd to work with anything too techy because I'll have no idea what I'm doing or how to get around even some sometimes simple issues. Had planned on saving up for an external but now I'm not all that sure.

ratioci nation

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2005, 12:13:00 am »
Originally posted by Jaguär:
  Did the other people have Firewires or USB? This is an issue that I've contemplated myself. Also, I have to consider that I'm not enough of a nerd to work with anything too techy because I'll have no idea what I'm doing or how to get around even some sometimes simple issues. Had planned on saving up for an external but now I'm not all that sure.
the other people had firewire drives

BLACKSTORM

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2005, 01:31:00 am »
  thanks for the advice ... on second glance, it looks like there's some good deals in external HDs on newegg.com ... anyone know anything about SimpleTech?
  Simpletech 250GB 7200RPM USB2.0 External Hard Drive, Model STI-USB235/250

$145 after rebate...
Don't buy anything made by Simple Tech. It's crap. There is no padding inside the casing which means, if you tap on hard enough it will break. I mean tap, not hit or drop. A waste of money.

Western Digital makes some of the best external hard drives. May cost more but worth it.

easement

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2005, 12:44:00 pm »
from slickdeals: slick deals
 250GB 7200RPM HD $70 Shipped AR B&M @ CompUSA

other good places to find deals:
 bens bargains

fatwallet hot deals

vansmack

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2005, 02:13:00 pm »

in response to your DVD $$ question, I can get a good DVD writer (good speed, dual-layer, +-, RW, etc) for about $60, and DVD+RWs for about $1 a piece .... so about $110 for the DVD+RW drive and 50 DVD+RWs, about the same price as a 200gb internal HD
That's pretty cheap.  And yes, a DVD burner is much more valuable than for backing up so it has extra value.  I can barely remember living without one, which is ridiuclous.  

only problem is that I only have 1 extra slot in my mini-tower for a new HD ... I'm no computer expert and I wouldn't feel comfortable replacing my main HD, I'd rather just add one on
You don't have to replace the original unitl it is filled.  The drives don't have to be the same size, so you can keep your current drive and as long as the second HD is larger, you can use that one as the mirror.  When you fill the original drive up, you can switch the mirror to the master and buy a new mirror.  My first drive was 40GB and then I bought a 150 GB to use as the mirror.  When I filled the original drive, I simply bought a second 150 (for the half price, of course) and made it the mirror, switching the original 150 GB drive to the master.  Within two hours the new mirror had automatically been copied.  Seamless and painless backup, and my machine is never down.
27>34

bellenseb

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2005, 02:15:00 pm »
How do you turn a second hard drive into a mirror? Do you need software?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2005, 03:03:00 pm »
Mirroring is standard with most Network OSs. i.e. Windows Server, etc.

XP Pro supports it because I just checked my work pc.  Don't know about XP Home, Me, etc.  The standard version of OS X appears to require seperate sw based on a very quick google.
T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2005, 03:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by bellenseb:
  How do you turn a second hard drive into a mirror? Do you need software?
I can only speak for Windows based machines, but mirroring is commonly referred to as RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks).  There are varying options, RAID1 is mirroring, RAID0 is striping.  For a  good intro on RAID, read this.  

You can RAID via Hardware (more expensive, IDE or SCSI) or via software (the likely choice for a home machine, mostly IDE).  Server OS's have great RAID built into them.  RAID1 is built into Windows 2000 and XP Pro (but can be very confusing to set-up).  Some new IDE Hard Drives come with Seperate Software RAID.

There are many inexpensive third part products like  this one or  this one that are virtual RAIDS.  They are highly recommended for novice computer users.
27>34