Author Topic: Nikko Case at Ram's Head Live  (Read 3188 times)

Sir HC

Nikko Case at Ram's Head Live
« on: February 16, 2005, 02:18:00 am »
Just got back from there.  She and the Sadies were great.  Missed the first band (except the last song).  Overall very unimpressed with the club.  

First, that is a horrible room to hang a line array in.  The entire house right stack is blocked from the main floor by a jutting out second floor balcony.  That stack is then in the faces (you could almost touch it) of the balcony people.  Very weird room shape, and a lot of the area would be very suboptimal to see a show as there is no slope to the second story, and the first story has a lot of way off to the side bar area.  They have a lot of poor sight lines in the room, very much not made for music.  The stage, too wide, and getting on and off the bands almost clock themselves on the low ceiling there, not very good.  Needs a backdrop behind the stage, right now it looks like there is this open room up there and with the walls painted brown and tan the lights are all hosed by that wall.  Finally, their staff have to learn, don't talk loud during a quiet show.  They were talking by the entrance which was very audiable in the crowd who were otherwise quiet and listening to the show.

So, there are a lot of bugs there, maybe they will get it sussed out, maybe they are content with the way it is.

Oh, and way too many tvs.

K8teebug

Re: Nikko Case at Ram's Head Live
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 08:54:00 am »
Thanks for the review. I really wanted to go last night, but I got back really late from a job interview.  At least I got the job, so the night wasn't totally wasted.

My friend went and said it was good.  he was swooning over her in the front row.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 10:32:00 am »
i will also add that the bartenders are fucking horrible.  they dont know what the hell they are doing.

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 10:37:00 am »
Why was this show not booked at a DC venue as well?

Does Rams Head make artists sign some sort of exclusitivity (sp?) pact? Does the Black Cat really think they can sell more tickets to MOTHERTONGUE: Womenâ??s Spoken Word $7 than they would have with a Neko/Sadies show?

poultrynow

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 10:41:00 am »
Agree partially with the review of venue.  So many TV's I felt like I was in ESPNZone...the opener was even on stage watching herself on TV, when she wasn't rambling so much someone yelled "Shut up and play."  The sound, after seeing shows at the BC the past few months, was incredibly sharp and deep, but they had some problems with reverb on Neko's voice....oh what a singer!!! she ranged from loretta lynn covers to her mournful tunes on Blacklisted to new Sadies/Neko tunes...very poor turnout though which made me wonder if she would have sold more tix at 9:30 or BC.....but hey, at least there weren't a bunch of tools yakking over the band.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 10:45:00 am »
Didn't she just play DC a couple months ago?

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 10:46:00 am »
no

Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:
  Didn't she just play DC a couple months ago?

Sir HC

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 12:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sam Pulsize:
  Why was this show not booked at a DC venue as well?

Does Rams Head make artists sign some sort of exclusitivity (sp?) pact? Does the Black Cat really think they can sell more tickets to MOTHERTONGUE: Womenâ??s Spoken Word $7 than they would have with a Neko/Sadies show?
Could be that often they will try to separate the Baltimore and Washington dates so that the crowds go twice.  Twangirl would know all.

K8teebug

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2005, 04:23:00 pm »
Lately, the sound at BC shows has been subpar.

Keep in mind too that Rams Head Live is part of Power Plant Live.  This is the ultra-touristy ultra-frat guy part of Baltimore where people dance on bars for free drinks.  

That may have something to do with all the tv's and the poor bartending.

Sir HC

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2005, 04:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by K8teebug:
  Lately, the sound at BC shows has been subpar.

Keep in mind too that Rams Head Live is part of Power Plant Live.  This is the ultra-touristy ultra-frat guy part of Baltimore where people dance on bars for free drinks.  

That may have something to do with all the tv's and the poor bartending.
I've been bummed about the BC since I heard they got rid of their Soundcraft 800B console.  That was a really fun board.  I haven't really seen what the new board is but that could have some affect on the sound there.

Yeah, where Rams Head Live is is 2 blocks from "the block" and in drunken frat boy land.  I have almost killed about a dozen people when driving by that area (me in a car coming from Fells Point) who just walk in front of you against the light.

Jaguär

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2005, 06:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sir HC:
   I have almost killed about a dozen people when driving by that area (me in a car coming from Fells Point) who just walk in front of you against the light.
Yeah, that's Baltimore for you! Especially within the Inner City. It's a power trip kind of thing for them to do. What's worse is that they will often walk out in front of you, slow down just to prolong their power and give you very dirty looks while turning their noses up in the air. Took me awhile to realize that it was a power play on their part rather than that I was just frustrated by rude pedestrians. Sonick probably knows what I'm talking about.

As far as DCites at the Nikko show, you are forgetting that the average DC showgoer won't bother to go up to Baltimore. In their favor, it was a work night so that is going to cut into any kind of showgoer but especially if an out of town (sort of) trip is concerned.

Sir HC

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2005, 06:05:00 pm »
Fun to skid as you near them.  Then they do move.  Worst was the time you could see the gun in the belt as the guy slowly walked in front of the cars on a green light.  No one honked...