Author Topic: Red Chair Software  (Read 3870 times)

ratioci nation

Re: Red Chair Software
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2005, 02:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by tenfifteen:
  Hmmm... let's see...

Right-click a folder/mp3/playlist->Send To->iPod. Pretty sure iTunes doesn't do that.

Convert to mp3 from [insert other format here] on the fly. iTunes == No.

Browse the contents of my iPod from a Windows Explorer front-end.

Browse the contents of my music library without having to create a massive XML database (in my case at over 110GB of mp3s, this is a significant issue).

I could continue... whatever its graces on the Mac, iTunes for Windows is a dog.
ok, I never really use itunes for windows, and I am not doubting you, I really am curious, dont know what I am missing, I dont get your point of browsing the contents of your music library though, what are you looking for

as for the right click to playlist and send to ipod, that doesnt come in to play for me, I keep everything in playlists that autosync with the ipod whenever I plug it in so I can keep the play stats in the itunes library

i have over 125gb in my library and dont run into any organization issue, I have a ton of playlists, which is also why I dont find the left side to be a waste of space, it runs long with the list of my playlists

tenfifteen

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2005, 03:00:00 pm »
This is heading towards Mac v. Windows. It's easy: iTunes doesn't do what I want it to do. Red Chair does.

Over and out.

ratioci nation

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2005, 03:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by tenfifteen:
  This is heading towards Mac v. Windows.
not from me it wasnt, I only use Mac for my music, all my work is done on PCs

ratioci nation

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2005, 03:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
 It's not about what you can and can't do - it's about how you do it.  And having used Napster, Windows Media Player, MusicMatch, RealJukebox and a plethora of others, I was surprised at how linear the thinking was for iTunes, especially given it's popularity.  
I am not sure how users look for music these days, I find that my younger coworkers who are still in college have a completely different outlook on their libraries, it is all downloaded it seems and may be just a song or 2 from any given album.  My guess is apple was trying to be as simple and straightforward as possible since they are going for as large an audience as possible.  So when you open Itunes you see ALL of the music right there.  Including if you have clicked on some stream from the web.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2005, 03:26:00 pm »
This one didn't jump right out at me so I'll ask... Does Red Chair catalog CDs as well MP3s? Not everything I owe would every be ripped to an MP3 so it would be nice to have a catalog of CDs as well.  I know there are tons of those for the PC and I've already got at one I'm not overly jazzed about.  So it would be great if Red Chair handled the cataloging of both
T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2005, 04:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  This one didn't jump right out at me so I'll ask... Does Red Chair catalog CDs as well MP3s? Not everything I owe would every be ripped to an MP3 so it would be nice to have a catalog of CDs as well.  I know there are tons of those for the PC and I've already got at one I'm not overly jazzed about.  So it would be great if Red Chair handled the cataloging of both
A GREAT recommendation!  A catalog of both your MP3s and your CDs in one spot?  Why hasn't this been done?
27>34

ratioci nation

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2005, 04:17:00 pm »

A GREAT recommendation!  A catalog of both your MP3s and your CDs in one spot?  Why hasn't this been done? [/b]
it has

www.mulling.net/music.asp

:D

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2005, 04:21:00 pm »
Actually it's been... Wen Software's Music Library program will do both, however I found it really difficult in the end to do somethings I thought it could do.  And I wouldn't recommend it because the last update to the program was done 2003.  It would appear the develope is coasting and the discussion board for bug reporting vanish.

However, wouldn't it be nice if Red Chair did the CD cataloging and MP3 transferring.  One program less database, MP3 tag editing to deal with.  

It's a shame iTunes doesn't provide this, seeing as the information is already there.  Everytime you put a CD and the info is retrieved from CDDB it's stored in a local file.  So pulling that data into iTunes should be a problem.  Trying to find CD cataloging software for a MAC proved fruitless....
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2005, 04:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by ratioci nation:

A GREAT recommendation!  A catalog of both your MP3s and your CDs in one spot?  Why hasn't this been done? [/b]
it has

:D  [/b]
So what software are you using for this... I actually thought at one point that a web based catalog system would be the way to go to solve my problems.  That way it's access with anything with a browser.  And actually how cool would it be to have this and be able to get to via a web phone.  

It would certainly solve that problem of being able to know how many songs I already own when looking at XMAS comps.  Because as you know there were only about XMAS 100 songs released and the overlap between comps is incredible.  So finding a comp with a few new songs is always a feat of trying to remember what you already own.  For instance the Ravonettes XMAS song showed up on at least three new comps this year...
T.Rex

ratioci nation

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2005, 04:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
 So what software are you using for this... I actually thought at one point that a web based catalog system would be the way to go to solve my problems.  That way it's access with anything with a browser.  And actually how cool would it be to have this and be able to get to via a web phone.  

it is all my own programming, practice for my work, data is being pulled from a microsoft access database with the itunes data being imported from itunes.xml

vansmack

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2005, 06:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by ratioci nation:

A GREAT recommendation!  A catalog of both your MP3s and your CDs in one spot?  Why hasn't this been done?
it has

:D  [/b]
For you and me, yes.

For the lay man?  

Smackette is tired of my programming solutions, mostly because I can never leave them alone.
27>34

ratioci nation

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2005, 06:18:00 pm »
  For you and me, yes.

For the lay man?  

Smackette is tired of my programming solutions, mostly because I can never leave them alone.
yeah I know

and I also know what you mean about never leaving them alone, I am about to start mine over from scratch