Author Topic: New Snow Patrol date.  (Read 2835 times)

vansmack

Re: New Snow Patrol date.
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 06:25:00 pm »
I could easily agree with the Governator point.  And I'm not trying to convince you to move to CA - people live all over the place for a variety of reasons.  It's more the reasons you have expressed as to why you wouldn't move.

Not knowing how old you are, I'm willing to bet that more people have died in your lifetime from snow/ice related accidents in the DC area then folks that have died from natural fire, flood and earthquakes combined in San Francisco (even the Bay Area) during that same time. It's a question of what daily/yearly risks you accept and what less frequently occurring risks you avoid because they are, I would contend, over hyped - like fire, floods and earthquakes in CA.  

Yet somehow CA disasters are described as unnecessary and avoidable, but knowing that it's going to be icy nearly every year in a congested major metropolitan area with ill-equipped residents is not questioned.
27>34

Venerable Bede

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2006, 06:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by Shadrach:

I'll put it this way; say you're driving someplace when you come to a fork in the road. Both roads lead to where you want to be and each one takes roughly the same amount of time. However, one road is smoothly paved and mostly safe. While the other road is covered in potholes, has falling rocks, icy bridges and a number of speed traps. Which road are you going to take? If you're sober and thinking rationally you're going to take the safe road. It has nothing to do with being afraid, but more to do with avoiding unnecessary risks.
i don't know about that.  life is a journey, and if you haven't experienced it (i.e., safe way, "avoiding unneccessary risks"), then how do you know what type of life you have lived?  its about the experience of living and trying things you never thought you would.  how many other cliches can i throw out there?  

mind you, the caveat is that i don't know what you have done or seen. . .but am simply basing it off of your statements above.
OU812

Shadrach

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2006, 06:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  I could easily agree with the Governator point.  And I'm not trying to convince you to move to CA - people live all over the place for a variety of reasons.  It's more the reasons you have expressed as to why you wouldn't move.

Not knowing how old you are, I'm willing to bet that more people have died in your lifetime from snow/ice related accidents in the DC area then folks that have died from natural fire, flood and earthquakes combined in San Francisco (even the Bay Area) during that same time. It's a question of what daily/yearly risks you accept and what less frequently occurring risks you avoid because they are, I would contend, over hyped - like fire, floods and earthquakes in CA.  

Yet somehow CA disasters are described as unnecessary and avoidable, but knowing that it's going to be icy nearly every year in a congested major metropolitan area with ill-equipped residents is not questioned.
You're only helping to prove my point.

When it's snowing or icy out I have a choice as to whether on not I want to risk driving. And because of where I live I also have the choice of taking public transportation. However, natural disasters can strike anytime without warning leaving me without the choice of having to deal with said disaster. No one issues earthquake warnings. You can't move your house out of the path of wild fire or mud slides. These things happen and not only take lives, but cause massive property damage.

I don't fault anyone for living anywhere. California is beautiful. New Orleans is full of rich character. Kansas... well Kansas has a military prison. I'm just saying that for my dollar I feel pretty good about living in Maryland and still being able to visit any of these great places.
   :D

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2006, 03:45:00 pm »
but there is always the risk of terrorists (not saying it doesnt exist anywhere), but hell you're close enough to DC (well depends where in md you are, and where the bombers are aiming).

im right in New York City and I'm constantly reading about the lack of funding NYC got. now thats just a scary thought. maybe its time to move back to california. ill take my risks with earthquakes. survived a chunk of them so far.

ok better stop thinking morbid thoughts as im sitting on the 26th floor of a high rise. but i am prepared with a whole kit in case WWIII strikes.
HeyLa

Bags

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2006, 04:33:00 pm »
So Pollstar has all three bands re-scheduled for June 23.  This can't be, can it?  With 11:00 p.m. doors?  While I was very in to seeing The Duke Spirit, I hope to god S.Patrol is playing alone...