Author Topic: Virgin Festival set times?  (Read 2932 times)

PigIron

Re: Virgin Festival set times?
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 03:50:00 pm »
Who the hell is MIA?

And if it says Crystal Method "DJ Set", what does that mean?  I like Crystal Method but I'm not an expert on the science of electronic music.  Does that mean that they won't be playing their own songs? Someone help here.

Bags

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2007, 01:36:00 pm »
I'll be in Chicago, but I gotta say, that Fountains of Wayne/Cheap Trick back to back lineup would be AWESOME.  Of course, I'd likely never get out there on time to catch all of FoW.

sonickteam2

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 02:32:00 pm »
i know this festival happened last weekend but i have been reading about what i missed and i want to say that this lineup is awesome.

soooo much better than last year where all the big bands played on one stage and the little guys (save the flaming lips) played on the other.  

it really made for a stagnant crowd, not much going from stage to stage.  i bet more than 1/2 the crowd just came in and parked it in front of the big stage.

this year seems to be designed to keep people moving around and therefore a much better experience.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 02:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by nkotb:
  See, I'd think the Pumpkins would be skip-able, due to the fact that you saw a full set on a much smaller stage.  If you've never seen MIA, seems an easy choice.
indeed - mia gets boring after about 10 minutes   :)    did anyone catch her set?  did you like it?  i walked away from her show at lolla after 15 minutes, i just couldn't get into it.

Originally posted by PigIron:
 And if it says Crystal Method "DJ Set", what does that mean?  I like Crystal Method but I'm not an expert on the science of electronic music.  Does that mean that they won't be playing their own songs? Someone help here.
for future reference: generally, electronic musicians' performances fall into two categories, "live PA" and "DJ set".  

a live set implies that they'll have computers & possibly syntheziers on stage with them and will be "performing" their music "live" (i use the quotes since the music wasn't written live and isn't meant to be performed live, so they make up an on-stage approximation).  during a live set, they generally play only their stuff.  a synonym might be "live remixing".  live drumming, guitars, vocals, etc can also be incorporated.  depending on the act, putting on a live set can be a pain - dragging out lots of equipment, big set-up time, and plenty of opportunities for things to go wrong (like computer crashes) and ruin the set.  

a DJ set, as the name implies, means that the artists will be spinning CDs and/or records.  while this allows the flexibility to incorporate other artists' work into the set, some acts (and i'd suspect that the chemicals are in this camp) will still only spin their own stuff.  expect to hear unreleased remixes of familiar tracks.
<sig>

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2007, 02:54:00 pm »
Sweet - Both TheDirector and I caught M.I.As set. She brought it.

I can honestly say I danced for her entire set, but then again, I probably like her music (and style) a lot more than most on the board. Her voice was beginning to give toward the end, but she recognized it and still kept on.

Short of the guy in front of me in the Bob Marley shirt with glow sticks who was prepared for a rave, it was a blast and I think I made the right decision with her over SP.

Also, as a result of her set, I've detemined I too need a 'hype girl' to follow me around and dance and shout in the background.
nothx