Author Topic: blue cheer in frederick...  (Read 1591 times)

BookerT

blue cheer in frederick...
« on: December 09, 2005, 12:24:00 pm »

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: blue cheer in frederick...
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 12:46:00 pm »
that is totally wierd.  used to love that band.

snailhook

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 01:49:00 pm »
adam heinzmann of internal void put this show together, and since internal void is based around frederick, that's where the show is. blue cheer is recording a new alum with chris kozlowski (who produced the obsessed, spirit caravan, pentagram, etc) in maryland.

if i didn't have to manage the voxtrot/antiques/ceremony show at the warehouse tomorrow, i'd be going to see if blue cheer can still kick it.

shoot ur shot

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 02:32:00 pm »
damn snailhook, a pioneering heavy psych band is playing the dc area for the first time (in ages probably) and you won't be around to witness it?

i'll be there for sure but it just won't be the same without ya man!

snailhook

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 03:13:00 pm »
tell me about it...i'm really bummed, but that's what i get for booking shows at the warehouse. if i knew this show was going to happen three months ago, i would have skipped out on booking the indie rock show.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 02:15:00 am »
Ah, Snail...

if they are recording in Maryland, maybe you can book them in a show in DC.   :D   That is, if they've still got it.

snailhook

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 04:41:00 pm »
breaking news:

looks like voxtrot won't be able to make it because of van troubles. i'll know for sure in an hour.

this means that i can probably go to blue cheer.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005, 07:53:00 am »
Did you make it to this Snailhook???  Curious if anyone knew how it was....

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 04:15:00 pm »
Yeah, I want to know about this too.

snailhook

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2005, 06:54:00 am »
blue cheer far exceeded my expectations. easily one of the best "dinosaur" bands i've seen. there were times when they sounded just as loud and intense as any vital current stoner rock band.

i found out that duck mcdonald, the guitarist, has been playing with dickie for 18 years, so he knew exactly what to do. his solos were tweaked enough as to not sound like straight-up bar blues. dickie peterson sounded great, and joe hasselvander (who used to drum for pentagram) was perfect. they sounded like the ultimate power trio; in lesser hands, the material would just sound boneheaded and dated, but in their hands, it was godlike. there were moments during "doctor please" where they got into pure sludge/doom territory. and i waited my whole life to hear "out of focus"...that shit was just completely righteous.

apparently, dickie's back in the states -- he had been in germany for 13 years -- so hopefully blue cheer will tour the states more often. they are currently recording in maryland with chris kozlowski (who produced the obsessed, spirit caravan, pentagram, internal void, etc).

the setlist (basically all of vincebus eruptum and three from outsideinside):

Babylon
 Rock Me Baby
 Out Of Focus
 Parchment Farm
 The Hunter
 Hoochie Coochie Man
 Summertime Blues
 Just a Little Bit >
 Doctor Please