Author Topic: George Plimpton R.I.P.  (Read 2739 times)

ggw

George Plimpton R.I.P.
« on: September 26, 2003, 04:21:00 pm »
http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/books/09/26/obit.plimpton.ap/index.html

While he's most well-known as a writer, he did a little acting.  So we'll put him in the John Ritter column and await the third.

Bags

Re: George Plimpton R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2003, 04:25:00 pm »
This is really sad.  Plimpton was brilliant, and though he was born a blue-blood, he was a true counter cultural figure.

His book "Edie" is one of my very favorites.  Through a series of inteviews, he evokes both a real person and a narrative that is gripping and heartbreaking.

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2003, 04:30:00 pm »
Aren't most counter culture figures usually born blue bloods?

Working stiffs usually beget working stiffs. Blue bloods beget either more blue bloods or trust fund rebels...

Jaguär

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2003, 04:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by bags:
  This is really sad.  Plimpton was brilliant, and though he was born a blue-blood, he was a true counter cultural figure.

His book "Edie" is one of my very favorites.  Through a series of inteviews, he evokes both a real person and a narrative that is gripping and heartbreaking.
I just read that book about 2 weeks ago!   :D

Bags

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2003, 05:08:00 pm »
Did you enjoy it?

I read it when it first came out; I think I was a teenager!

Jaguär

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2003, 05:11:00 pm »
  Did you enjoy it?

I read it when it first came out; I think I was a teenager!
Yes, I did. It was better and much more inclusive than I thought that it would be. I've had the book for years and years but finally got around to reading it.

Have you ever seen the film Ciao, Manhattan....or whatever it's called? That woman was a total mess!!!! Not anyone to envy.

Bags

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2003, 05:43:00 pm »
Nope, I haven't seen Ciao, Manhattan.  Those Warhol movies are largely unwatchable, in my opinion.

Yeah, not a life to be envied.  Showed me at a young age that money and privilege doesn't make you happy.  Seems like that should be a no-brainer, but it sure ain't.  Why do you think all those freaks go on demeaning reality shows for a bit of fame and cash?

Jaguär

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2003, 06:07:00 pm »
  Nope, I haven't seen Ciao, Manhattan.  Those Warhol movies are largely unwatchable, in my opinion.

I think there are two of them, one by Warhol and one by someone else that I can't remember who offhand. I think that I saw the non-Warhol one but it was in the late 80s so don't remember much of it. Honestly, this film would be great to use for an anti-drug program rather than all those other ads and programs they have which only inadvertantly glamorize it as the rebelious thing to do. It really showed how sloppy it makes one and completely wrecks one life before the death factor takes hold.

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2003, 12:18:00 pm »
bilge

RonniStar

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2003, 05:27:00 pm »
From his book "Paper Lion:"

"It verified the assumption that the average fan would have about an amateur blundering into the brutal world of professional football. He would get slaughtered. ... The outsider did not belong, and there was comfort in that being proved."

He boxed with Archie Moore, pitched to Willie Mays and performed as a trapeze artist for the Clyde Beatty-Cole Brothers Circus. This tried everything, and he loved each moment.