Author Topic: Experimental banjo and flamenco/classical/raga guitar at  (Read 919 times)

snailhook

Experimental banjo and flamenco/classical/raga guitar at
« on: February 28, 2005, 07:24:00 pm »
Clavius Productions presents:

Friday, March 4
 611 Florida Ave NW
 Washington DC
 $5 suggested donation
 9pm
 BYOB!

Uncle Woody Sullender (from Chicago, experimental banjo)
 Otoño Brujo (from Philly, acoustic guitar soli incorporating flamenco, classical, and raga)

Uncle Woody Sullender
 Since migrating to Chicago from North Carolina in 1999, Woody Sullender has been performing improvised music on the banjo under the not-so-clever moniker of "Uncle Woody Sullender". His most recent recorded appearances include Nothing is Certain but Death, an album of banjo improvisations, soundwriting, a lathe-cut record compilation/art object, and Instant Landscape, the first studio release by Fred Lonberg-Holmâ??s large improvisation ensemble the Lightbox Orchestra. He has also recently collaborated with sound artist Maryanne Amacher, incorporating his banjo recordings into an installation scheduled for Spring 2005 at the Palacio de Bellas Artes in Mexico City. In addition to performing and composing in Chicago, Sullender is currently completing a Master of Fine Arts degree in Music/Sound at Bard College.

Otoño Brujo  (aka Eric Carbonara)
 "While studying classical Indian music at the Ali Akbar College of Music, under the guidance of Sri Arup Banerjee (disciple of Ali Akbar Khan), I became fascinated with the concept of Nada Brahma (sound god), the belief that sound is the voice of the divine, and music, being the organization of sound through time, is the language with which the divine speaks. So, for the past few years, I have tried to create music with this philosophy, with much emphasis on the space between dissonance and resonance and the malleable chaos of molecules. Sounds that I hold dear are: Terry Riley, Steve Reich, Paco Pena, Manitas de Plata, Eno, Ali Akbar Khan, and Ornette Coleman's Chappaqua Suite. I have one album entitled Selections From the Void, and three others I have yet to finish. Selections consists of two pieces created from a signal delay system similar to that of Pauline Oliveros and Robert Fripp." --Eric Carbonara

Upcoming Clavius Productions events:

at 611 Florida

3/26: Clavius' birthday show w/ Jack Rose (Eclipse/VHF Rec.)/PG Six (from NY, mem. of Tower Recordings, folk/psych)/Harris Newman (from Montreal, on Strange Attractors)/The Michael Dimmick Joy Band (from SW Virginia, featuring Mike Gangloff of Pelt)

4/17: David Gross Trio (Coltrane/Ayler-esque free jazz from Boston)/Greg Davis (Kranky/Carpark)/Keith Fullerton Whitman (Kranky)/Bird Show (Ben Vida of Town & Country)

5/8: Sir Richard Bishop (of Sun City Girls, performing solo acoustic guitar)

at Warehouse Next Door

3/6: Nitroseed (mem. of Earthride, ex-Spirit Caravan)/Valkyrie/Eldemur Krimm (stoner metal from Maine)

3/11: George Kinney (singer/songwriter/guitarist from legendary Texas psych band the Golden Dawn)/Brandon Butler (ex-Canyon)/Pagoda/

3/16: Radian (from Austria, on Thrill Jockey)/Machine Drum/Band of the Name/H8

4/12: Mono (from Japan, on Temporary Residence)/Eluvium

4/16: The Hidden Hand/Weedeater/Rwake

4/20: Franklin Delano (from Italy, File 13 Rec., new album recorded with Califone's Tim Rutili and Brian Deck)/Madagascar

4/22: My Way My Love (from Japan, on File 13 Rec.)/Gangwizard (Ecstatic Peace Rec.)/Hand Fed Babies/r_garcia

4/23: Dawn Explosion: A Tribute to Captain Beyond (featuring Dave Sherman and Gary Isom of Spirit Caravan)/Wretched/Black Manta

5/4: Psychic Paramount (ex-Laddio Bolocko/Panicsville)

5/10: Michael Columbia (ex-Bablicon/Olivia Tremor Control)/Ovo (from Italy)

and at True Vine Records
 in Baltimore on 3/13
 a special appearance by George Kinney and Kohoutek