Author Topic: KT Tunstall / Teitur DJ Setlist 6-8-06  (Read 1759 times)

brennser

KT Tunstall / Teitur DJ Setlist 6-8-06
« on: June 09, 2006, 10:25:00 am »
Packed house at the club last night for the Scottish songstress and the Faroean folkster

A House 'No More Apologies'
 The Raveonettes 'Attack of the Ghost Riders'
 Jens Lekman 'Happy Birthday, My Dear Friend Lisa'
 The House of Love 'The Beatles and the Stones
 Sufjan Stevens 'Chicago'
 Rosie Thomas feat. Ed Harcourt 'Let It Be Me'
 Sondre Lerche 'Two-Way Monologue'
 Andrew Bird 'Skin, Is My'
 Cathal Coughlan 'Frankfurt Cowboy Yodel'
 Angela McCluskey 'Its Been Done'
 Jim Boggia feat. Jill Sobule 'Make Me So Happy'
 Anna Waronker ' I Wish You Well'
 Thea Gilmore 'Generation Y?'
 Georgie James 'Need Your Needs'
 Matt Nathanson 'Suspended'
 The Go-Betweens 'Streets of Your Town'
 Nada Surf 'Do It Again'
 L.P. 'Wasted'
 Old 97s 'Designs on You'
 Crowded House 'Licked Out'

TEITUR

KT Tunstall controlled the board for the rest of the evening, heres what was left in the bag....Lloyd Cole, Kathleen Edwards, PH Harvey, David Bowie, Aimee Mann, Fat Lady Sings, Neko Case, Beautiful South, new Keane, Billy Bragg and more....

this and other setlists can be found  here

eltee

Re: KT Tunstall / Teitur DJ Setlist 6-8-06
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 05:10:00 pm »
How's the new Keane?
 (don't everyone jump on me about this -- in the past year I've heard them two times over grocery store PA, and just curious what is up with them...)

brennser

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 05:50:00 pm »
nothing to be ashamed of in liking Keane - I've located about 4 tracks from the new album and think they are all pretty good.....that haven't tinkered with the Hopes and Fears formula that much in my opinion

Darth Ed

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 12:44:00 am »
Nice job, Brennser. My friend loved the Crowded House song especially. I was disappointed you didn't DJ between Teitur and KT. Sounds like you had some good stuff ready to go then.

By the way, I had a lot of fun at this show. Nothing earth-shaking, but just good, solid fun.

brennser

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 01:37:00 pm »
thanks darth ed - I'll probably end up spinning alot of the extra stuff at the mason jenning gig this evening

you should have stopped by the booth to say hi - would have been nice to put a face to a (screen) name

Bags

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 10:43:00 am »
From The New York Times

June 12, 2006
 Music Review
 KT Tunstall Bridges the Distance Between New York and Scotland
 By NATE CHINEN

On the surface the ascent of the Scottish singer-songwriter KT Tunstall suggests a distinctly contemporary success story. Ms. Tunstall had her breakthrough in Britain in 2004, as a last-minute substitute on a late-night BBC music show. Her first album, released a few months later, went on to become one of the 10 best-selling albums in Britain last year, the biggest by a female artist, and the basis for a Brit Award.

When the album, "Eye to the Telescope" (Virgin), was released in the United States early this year, it came with a major promotional campaign. The engine is still humming. Last month Ms. Tunstall's lead single, "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree," appeared on the finales of both "Will & Grace" (in a one-hour series signoff) and "American Idol" (in a performance by the runner-up, Katharine McPhee). On Friday afternoon Ms. Tunstall visited Macy's Herald Square to kick off a series of appearances for Origins, the cosmetics brand.

Several hours later Ms. Tunstall seemed a shade ambivalent about all this hoopla as she led a five-piece band at Webster Hall. Spiking her onstage banter with sporadic brogue-inflected profanity, she did her best to seem like an irrepressible, unruly rocker.

That sense was strongest on "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree," a Surrealist confessional romp. Ms. Tunstall used an effects pedal to build the guts of the song in layers: first the thump of her boot on the floorboards, then a hooting cry, then the strum of her acoustic guitar. It was a simple but effective trick. All the pieces added up to a sturdy undercarriage for Ms. Tunstall's full-throated vocals.

Most of her other songs were more conventionally tuneful. Musically they harked back about a decade, evoking early Radiohead ("False Alarm"), Alanis Morissette ("Another Place to Fall") and, less expectedly, Seal ("Heal Over"). Ms. Tunstall sang them all with conviction, her voice alternately silvery or stormy. Her gusto lent gravity to her lyrics, which were often about bridging emotional distances.

On "Miniature Disasters" the distance was within herself: between the ambitious side of her personality and the vulnerable side. "I must be my own master," she sang, "or a miniature disaster will be the death of me." Ms. Tunstall may not have meant those lines as a comment on her surging career, but they provided a handy parallel.

So did her first encore, "She Don't Use Jelly." As Ms. Tunstall is surely aware, that song became a chart single for the Flaming Lips in 1995 after it was featured on "Beverly Hills, 90210." It was the only such hit for that band, which has since kept all of its quirks intact. If Ms. Tunstall wants to carve a similar path, she seems resourceful enough to pull it off.