Author Topic: Lame time for SY show  (Read 4265 times)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: Lame time for SY show
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2006, 01:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  very hypothetical question... how would you have felt if they moved the show to a larger, possibly less desirable, location in order to meet ticket demands... plus why put all the blame on the venue, surely Sonic Youth played some part in the decision to do two shows in order to keep their fans happy.
I feel when I buy tickets to an event, I am buying the right to see the band, at said venue, at said time. I consider all three of those things prior to purchase price, and I put them in that order of priority. If I don't like DAR, for example, I will not buy a ticket to see a band there. If the band sells 930 club tickets then "changes the venue to meet ticket demands" I think a refund is in order.

So, I agree changing the start time is a less horrendous solution then changing the venue, but it's still pretty sucky. I wish when Sonic Youth and B&S play two shows in a night they'd announce both at once. Or when Air or Thievery Corporation play 2 or 3 night stands, again, reveal that up front so we know. I know 930 club only announced one Air show in 2004 and I nearly bought THursday tickets until I found on Astralwerks that a Friday show was already planned. I think not telling us of other shows booked simply to sell tickets to the less desirable night/time is disingenuous.

That said, I think once Seth offered refunds (as he did in this particular case), no one had any right to complain. They could have taken the refund and bought the late show tickets. Anyone who did otherwise made their own choice.

Guiny

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2006, 01:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by bearman:
  True Kosmo...but as us Sonic Youth fans get older and more curmudgeony, we also have stricter schedules with more responsibilities.
That doesn't sound very Indie.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2006, 01:37:00 pm »
i didnt buy tickets for this show, but i would have been MORE inclined if i knew i would have been out of there by 9...

jus sayin
o/\o

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2006, 01:39:00 pm »
:D
T.Rex

bearman🐻

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2006, 01:42:00 pm »
I know...what can I say. Though now that Sonic Youth are touring around their kids going off to school, that ain't too indie either  ;)

Bartelby

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2006, 02:13:00 pm »
...I've been forced to give my tickets away at the last minute due to a business commitment that wouldn't let me leave Virginia until after 6:30.  I didn't expect a refund, but an offer to switch 'em to the later show might have been considerate. I'm bummed.  :mad:

walkonby

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2006, 02:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by The Cooler:

Originally posted by walkonby:
 . . . i appreciate an early show-early over-early home.
Huh? I'm sleepy. [/b]
what?  i'm doc.

sonickteam2

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2006, 08:08:00 am »
In california, they added a second night.

Tonorro

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2006, 06:39:00 pm »
Here's a late entry into this forum, if anybody is still reading.

I didn't mind being moved to an early time but I did feel a little cheated because the show was barely an hour long.  Would it have been longer if they had done only a single set?  I think so.  Every other time I've seen them, they have played for much longer.

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2006, 07:52:00 pm »
that's how i felt too.  the show was still fucking awesome, but yeah.  bitching about it now won't do anything.

Darth Ed

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2006, 01:41:00 am »
Anyone know if NPR webcasted the early show or the late show? I just downloaded it and converted it to MP3, and the webcast is almost an hour and a half, just for the record.

EDIT: OK, having listened to it some, I'm fairly convinced it's the early show.

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2006, 07:37:00 am »
the band asked us if they could add a late show and we said sure why not

I don't honestly believe it affected the quality of the show

I did have a few people contact me about getting a refund, which I obliged

I do believe, yes, that a show should be presented at the original times promised...how much was it off here? (typing this too early to ask my people)

andyrichter

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2006, 11:54:00 am »
Originally posted by Darth Ed:
  Anyone know if NPR webcasted the early show or the late show? I just downloaded it and converted it to MP3, and the webcast is almost an hour and a half, just for the record.

EDIT: OK, having listened to it some, I'm fairly convinced it's the early show.
You think you could pm me that mp3?  I would love to get that show and NPR is only streaming the show and won't let you save it.

andyrichter

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2006, 12:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by Tonorro:
  Here's a late entry into this forum, if anybody is still reading.

I didn't mind being moved to an early time but I did feel a little cheated because the show was barely an hour long.  Would it have been longer if they had done only a single set?  I think so.  Every other time I've seen them, they have played for much longer.
You sure about it being only an hour?  I went to both shows and I don't think they were that short.  I think they were pretty much the same, both approaching 90 minutes (give or take 5) as the NPR webcast also shows.

Darth Ed

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2006, 12:18:00 am »
Originally posted by andyrichter:
 You think you could pm me that mp3?  I would love to get that show and NPR is only streaming the show and won't let you save it.
It's 160MB, so it's too big to e-mail. I didn't have any problem saving it; you just need the right software. I use MPlayer. If you have a Mac or use Linux, I can give you precise instructions on how to do it. If you use Windows, then maybe someone more knowledgable about Windows can help you.