Author Topic: Mars Volta  (Read 2470 times)

paul3mac

Mars Volta
« on: March 08, 2005, 10:09:00 am »
Why no 9:30 (or any DC date for that matter)? arf.  Any chance one of those holes in the schedule gets filled by a DC date?

distance

Re: Mars Volta
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 10:34:00 am »
i may have to hit up the toronto date.  it's 2 days after the toronto autechre show.

jsnow2

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 03:36:00 pm »
I hear you.  Maybe it's time to face the reality that DC sucks.  There are so many bands that play in Richmond, or Baltimore and skip over DC altogether these days.  It blows.  I really hope that the Volta add a date.  Otherwise I am heading to Philly I suppose.

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 03:41:00 pm »
I'm sure the people in Baltimore or Richmond would disagree with you.

Originally posted by jsnow2:
  I hear you.  Maybe it's time to face the reality that DC sucks.  There are so many bands that play in Richmond, or Baltimore and skip over DC altogether these days.  It blows.  I really hope that the Volta add a date.  Otherwise I am heading to Philly I suppose.

sonickteam2

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 03:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by distance:
  i may have to hit up the toronto date.  it's 2 days after the toronto autechre show.
is autechre playing here too?

pip

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 04:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:
 is autechre playing here too?
May 6th at the Black Cat

distance

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 08:34:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

Originally posted by distance:
is autechre playing here too? [/b]
yeah.. someone just quoted the date.. i think i'd posted it in the just announced thread before, but i could be wrong.
 they went on sale on 2/11.
 i just plan to go to more than one show this tour.

i did end up buying a ticket for mars volta in toronto in the presale, so i suppose i'm going up there again.

distance

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 08:35:00 am »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes, Japanese Golfer:
  I'm sure the people in Baltimore or Richmond would disagree with you.

[/b]
being in richmond i would definitely agree that i disagree.  practically nothing i like plays richmond and i always have to drive _at least_ to dc if not farther.
 the only band i can think of that i have seen/really wanted to see that hasn't played dc and has played richmond in the past 3 years is explosions in the sky (who last played dc in oct 01, but played richmond in apr 02).

jsnow2

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 02:16:00 am »
Well - agree to disagree.  It's all your perspective.  But DC used to get what, in my opinion, were sick shows.  The Ottobar gets mad shows.  I will rephrase my statement - and limit it to Baltimore and Philly.  They seem to get the better shows.  I am excited for Trail of Dead, Bloc Party, the Kills, Death from Above 79 and Slint.  But overall I feel likeDC gets slighted.  If you like the current bill at 930 or black cat, good for you.  It's all relative.  I think the fact that the Volta is passing DC is painful.

Jaguär

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 02:59:00 am »
  I will rephrase my statement - and limit it to Baltimore and Philly.  They seem to get the better shows.  I
:roll:    :roll:    :roll:  

I challenge you to move to Baltimore and then see what it feels like regarding who gets what shows.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 11:11:00 am »
i'll preface this by saying that i have nothing against mars volta.

that said, how is it possible that they get ridiculous media coverage and radio / mtv play when they're such an inaccessible band?

i can think of dozens and dozens of other groups that would be so much easier to promote in the mainstream than these guys

is it their at the drive in pedigree? was at the drive in really that big?
(o|o)

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 11:15:00 am »
It's the hair. And the fact that they're non-White. If they were British, they'd have the triple crown of hip (like the guy from Block Party). But two out of three aint bad. These are very big marketing tools.

Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:
  i'll preface this by saying that i have nothing against mars volta.

that said, how is it possible that they get ridiculous media coverage and radio / mtv play when they're such an inaccessible band?

i can think of dozens and dozens of other groups that would be so much easier to promote in the mainstream than these guys

is it their at the drive in pedigree? was at the drive in really that big?

ratioci nation

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 11:22:00 am »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes, Japanese Golfer:
  It's the hair. And the fact that they're non-White. If they were British, they'd have the triple crown of hip (like the guy from Block Party). But two out of three aint bad. These are very big marketing tools.

its The Block Party damn you

uhhhhh, wait, no its not, sorry, it is Bloc Party, no k!