Author Topic: Jon Dee Graham @ The O St Mansion, Sunday June 8  (Read 1966 times)

brennser

Jon Dee Graham @ The O St Mansion, Sunday June 8
« on: June 06, 2008, 10:51:00 am »
A little Friday morning street teaming from brennser   :D  

Come celebrate Sunday night at the  O Street Mansion in Dupont Circle with singer songwriter extraordinaire and roots rock eminence grise  Jon Dee Graham at the release party for a new  DVD documentary made by my good friend Mark Finkelpearl.

For anyone who likes country/alt-country/roots rock/americana or just likes to see great live music Jon Dee Graham is a must.

Some reviews of the DVD here:

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2008/05/16/030857.php

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=60324

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/music/reviews/59044/jon-dee-graham-swept-awaya-rock-and-roll-documentary/

thirsty moore

Re: Jon Dee Graham @ The O St Mansion, Sunday June 8
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 10:53:00 am »
I went to O St Mansion once for a wedding reception.  The place felt like a Christmas Mouse shop.

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 11:13:00 am »
Jon Dee Graham is also opening for Squirrel Nut Zippers at the Birchmere. Maybe the show has already happened, I dunno.

brennser

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 11:15:00 am »
It was June 5

Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  Jon Dee Graham is also opening for Squirrel Nut Zippers at the Birchmere. Maybe the show has already happened, I dunno.

earlx

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 11:28:00 am »
I thought (okay, hoped) the Squirrel Nut Zippers were dead.

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 11:48:00 am »
Why? They were a smokin' live band back in the day (I saw them at Fletcher's and the old Black Cat in 95-96, and later in their hometown when I moved to Chapel Hill in '96). And their first two albums were excellent (Not sure about the albums after that, though the Xmas album is played annually at my house). Jimbo Mathus and Catherine Whalen have both done good solo work.

I'll take them over the Smithereens, Gin Blossoms, Everclear, and all the other 90's hangers ons.

Originally posted by earlx:

I thought (okay, hoped) the Squirrel Nut Zippers were dead. [/b]

earlx

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 12:16:00 pm »
  Why? They were a smokin' live band back in the day (I saw them at Fletcher's and the old Black Cat in 95-96, and later in their hometown when I moved to Chapel Hill in '96). And their first two albums were excellent (Not sure about the albums after that, though the Xmas album is played annually at my house). Jimbo Mathus and Catherine Whalen have both done good solo work.

I'll take them over the Smithereens, Gin Blossoms, Everclear, and all the other 90's hangers ons.

[/b]
I found the '90s swing revival pretty bizarre and annoying.  To be fair, however, I did prefer the SNZ's single to "Zoot Suit Riot" or anything by the Royal Crown Revue.

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 12:26:00 pm »
Fair enough. I didn't really consider them a part of any "swing revival." I don't think I've ever even heard any of the other bands that were. So perhaps my view wasn't colored by a disdain for a genre revival.

I remember seeing SNZ on a co-headliner bill with Wilco on Halloween, 1996 in Raleigh. I think Wilco played first, and all of the members except Jeff Tweedy played the show in drag.

Another note of mention: Andrew Bird got his start playing violin with the Squirrel Nut Zippers. Now, he's touring with Wilco and sometimes playing violin with them.

[/b]
I found the '90s swing revival pretty bizarre and annoying.  To be fair, however, I did prefer the SNZ's single to "Zoot Suit Riot" or anything by the Royal Crown Revue. [/b]

thirsty moore

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 01:01:00 pm »
Rhett gave the Cherry Poppin' Daddies a positive review in his zine.

anarchist

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 05:49:00 pm »
i have seen jdg open for james mcmurtry many x's in austin.  jdg played the birch 6/5 and mcmurtry is playing 6/6.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 07:09:00 pm »
90% of the 1990s swing revival was due to people who saw "Swingers" and thought those guys were cool.

And the O Street Mansion has kind of a creepy feel, you can imagine the Rolling Stones having an orgy there.
_\|/_