Author Topic: Stone Roses reunion rumors surface again  (Read 23189 times)

hutch

Re: Stone Roses reunion rumors surface again
« Reply #105 on: October 21, 2011, 06:07:04 pm »
I'd say the chances of them playing the 930 club are zero

From what I understand they sold 220,000 tickets at 77 pounds apiece to their three Manchester shows..in a few hours..

Christine Moritz

« Reply #106 on: October 22, 2011, 01:10:29 am »
I'd say the chances of them playing the 930 club are zero

From what I understand they sold 220,000 tickets at 77 pounds apiece to their three Manchester shows..in a few hours..

That's the UK, though.

A fair number of UK acts who've played at the 9:30 Club typically play at much, much bigger venues in the UK.

Demand to see them in the U.S. is probably greater now than it was in the early 1990s.  (My Bloody Valentine were certainly playing bigger venues on their reunion tour than they were when touring for "Loveless.")  But I don't think demand for the Stone Roses in the U.S. has grown to the point where they'd be playing enormous venues here, just good-sized ones.

Mark_Read

« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2011, 08:40:07 am »
I think if they play in this area it will be one night at DAR or two nights at 930. If they skip this area all together and play one night at MSG I wouldn't be surprised.

TheREALHunter

« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2011, 11:07:18 pm »
Oasis did a wonderful thing by breaking up. When they come back in 8 years, 90's nostalgia will be at peak. They can celebrate 25 years of "Definitely Maybe". Mark my words...

I'm sure Oasis will get back together and cash in..

The difference for me is that I admire, enjoy and like the Stone Roses.. whereas Oasis for me always seems to be a band with a handful of good songs and like 5 crap albums- at least- in a row now...I'm not sure how people can keep cutting them slack just because of Definitely Maybe and Whats the story..

There's a short interview with Noel in the newest Details and from what he was saying he seems to think the 1st two albums are the only ones of note as well haha

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2011, 11:19:55 am »
Most people are thinking it'd be Hammerstein up here. I dont think The Roses are that big in the States to play MSG. Maybe back in the day - but Hammerstein or Roseland would be more than likely.

I think if they play in this area it will be one night at DAR or two nights at 930. If they skip this area all together and play one night at MSG I wouldn't be surprised.
HeyLa

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2011, 11:27:28 am »
Most people are thinking it'd be Hammerstein up here. I dont think The Roses are that big in the States to play MSG. Maybe back in the day - but Hammerstein or Roseland would be more than likely.

i'd put my money on T5, or the MSG theater.
<sig>

bearman🐻

« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2011, 11:33:23 am »
Didn't Oasis play MSG? Wasn't there another UK band recently who played there too and got a fantastic turnout? Don't forget how many expatriates are in the NYC area. They will play relatively large venues in certain cities, and MSG is not that huge a venue considering the population of the NY metro region. Many people never got to see the Roses. They'll play pretty decent size venues. If they don't get sucked into some festival type thing here, I could see them doing the Patriot Center. I'll bet good money they'd sell out 2 nights at Constitution Hall in a flash.

hutch

« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2011, 12:03:37 pm »
If I were betting I'd guess something like Coachella, Lolla, Bonaroo and a night at MSG\

if PHoenix and LCD can do MSG so can the Stone Roses

They are not going to do theaters.. come on... they sold 225000 tickets in 50 minutes... gross of over 12 million pounds! if the market is not there in the US they'll just play Manchester again..this reunion is all about money pretty much as they all are.

betao

« Reply #113 on: October 24, 2011, 06:45:06 pm »
I think you guys are kidding yourselves if you think the Roses are that big here. Those 225,000 tickets were in their home territory that knows them like the back of their hand. Now fly across the pond to the states, sure they have their following here, but drop their name here infront of your indie hipsters here and I'll bet the number of blank stares will greatly outnumber the excited responses.

The britpop scene here is too small for an MSG gig. I mean, at Coachella, Suede played to a barely half empty tent. I know the Roses are a bigger name than them, but not by THAT much.

in NYC, they'd play Roseland or Beacon. That's my guess.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2011, 08:23:57 pm »
What's with all the debbie downers here, some of us are positive patties that are hoping that The Stones Roses are more popular than overhyped putzs Mumford and Sons and Vampire Weekend
T.Rex

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #115 on: October 25, 2011, 02:32:27 pm »
Couldnt have said it better myself. I thought Verve was quite huge, and even they only played The Theater at MSG. Although Happy Mondays did play Roseland and I would have thought Verve was bigger. Either way - I dont really see the Roses playing MSG.

And the LCD comment is too funny. Its the bands hometown and it was their last show EVEr (until they need $$/reform). Brooklyn loves their LCD SS along with the rest of the city. The hype alone on that was insane.

I think you guys are kidding yourselves if you think the Roses are that big here. Those 225,000 tickets were in their home territory that knows them like the back of their hand. Now fly across the pond to the states, sure they have their following here, but drop their name here infront of your indie hipsters here and I'll bet the number of blank stares will greatly outnumber the excited responses.

The britpop scene here is too small for an MSG gig. I mean, at Coachella, Suede played to a barely half empty tent. I know the Roses are a bigger name than them, but not by THAT much.

in NYC, they'd play Roseland or Beacon. That's my guess.
HeyLa

Christine Moritz

« Reply #116 on: October 26, 2011, 10:36:39 am »
What's with all the debbie downers here, some of us are positive patties that are hoping that The Stones Roses are more popular than overhyped putzs Mumford and Sons and Vampire Weekend

I don't mind if they're more popular than I think they are, but I don't want them to be so popular that I'd have to see them in a huge, cavernous venue.

I don't think the Oasis/Stone Roses comparisons are apt.  Oasis were HUGE back in the day, whereas the Stone Roses were big only in college radio/underground-type circles.

I think venue sizes for the Stone Roses if they were to come to the States now would be roughly on par with those for My Bloody Valentine 2-3 years ago... bigger than the venues they played back in the day, but not Madison Square Garden-sized.