Author Topic: Ben Folds @ Merriweather rollcall  (Read 1763 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Ben Folds @ Merriweather rollcall
« on: June 27, 2006, 04:25:00 pm »
But i suspect people on the lawn will be doing more sliding than rolling  :)

If you are planning on attending, be sure to swing by 932 for a pre-show drink as I will be on hand with the entertainment. Would a weather themed dj set be a bit to much?
T.Rex

sonickteam2

Re: Ben Folds @ Merriweather rollcall
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 04:40:00 pm »
i'll be there.  i cant wait!

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 06:23:00 pm »
i was supposed to go, and then idiot me went ahead and scheduled an art class wednesday nights which clearly coincides.  but have fun.  he's the best.  and i hear a real treat with BSO.

ccperkdog

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 10:50:00 pm »
I'll be there under the cover of the pavilion. You know, once when I was at Nissan and there was bad rain and lightning they just opened up the empty seats in the pavilion to those in the lawn. It was a safety factor. Maybe Merriweather will do that tomorrow...

lomein

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 02:10:00 am »
i was going but now i'm not sure...do you think bf will do an extra long setlist since there's no opener?

sonickteam2

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 08:28:00 am »
i dont think its going to rain tonight.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 08:36:00 am »
Today: A chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. Partly cloudy, with a high around 87. West wind between 5 and 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Tonight: A chance of showers and thunderstorms before 2am. Patchy fog after 2am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 66. North wind between 3 and 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

TimCooke

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 09:30:00 am »
I'll be there too.  2nd Row Dead Center.

Still have an extra ticket as one of my friends bailed.

Ben is Awesome with the BSO.  Now that they have played together a couple times, it should sound tight.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 09:35:00 am »
How much? Can I give you a check?? I promise it won't bounce  :)

Originally posted by CookieMonster:
  I'll be there too.  2nd Row Dead Center.

Still have an extra ticket as one of my friends bailed.

Ben is Awesome with the BSO.  Now that they have played together a couple times, it should sound tight.
(_|_)

TimCooke

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 11:16:00 am »
I'm almost to the point where I'll sell it for a couple brews at MP.  It's my first time there this year.  What are beers costing these days?

xcanuck

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 11:34:00 am »
I'll be there. We hope to be at the 9:32 for a few refreshing adult beverages before the show starts.

Kosmo - If you're doing a weather themed set, then how about the these (assuming the sun is still shining)

- Looks Just Like the Sun (Broken Social Scene)
 - I'll Bring the Sun (Jason Collett)
 - It's The Sun (Poly Spree)
 - Looking At the Sun (Matthew Sweet)
 - Warm and Sunny Days (The Dears)
 - Song for Sunshine (B&S)

ccperkdog

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 12:36:00 pm »
This was a pretty good show. My first time seeing Ben live with the BSO. The encore was rather brief but the intesity was high the entire show. He must have moved that piano about a foot onstage from banging on it so hard.

xcanuck

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 12:53:00 pm »
Also my first time seeing Ben with the BSO and I came away a little disappointed. Both my wife and I felt that the orchestral arrangements were alot like a film score. The arrangements were pretty predictable (with the notable exception of Boxing, which was nothing short of excellent). It really seemed like a waste of the BSO's talent - pretty much any university orchestra could have pulled this off.

It's always great to see Ben Folds and the show was certainly enjoyable. I'm just not sure if I got my $75 worth.

BTW - if you were watching on the screen, there was a lady in her late 50s/early 60s playing piccolo situated right behind Ben. She knew all the words to the songs and was having a great time singing along when she wasn't playing. Very cool to watch her.