Author Topic: Magic Numbers / The Elected Rollcall  (Read 3817 times)

Tom Servo

Re: Magic Numbers / The Elected Rollcall
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2006, 06:13:00 pm »
Pretty good show.  I enjoyed both acts.  The Elected really rocked there at the end. I liked the back and forth between the guitarists.  They also did a good job with the "payoff" jam after the 5 full minutes of energy buildup.  The guy has an interesting voice, really nice in spots.  

The Magic Numbers were fun, you could tell that they are enjoying every minute.  That last song even they didn't want to end.  I agree that the guitarist made it look effortless, it looked like he was leading a group of campers in a singalong.  Not really sure the melodica adds a lot to their sound.  The highlight for me was the duet.  That girl should put down the melodica and do more lead vocal, she was dynamite.  

It was great to meet some of the 9:30 A-List, Kosmo, Bags, and Darth Ed.

Darth Ed

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2006, 02:18:00 pm »
Yeah, she's very good. I wouldn't mind her taking the lead on a few songs. Probably the reason why I like the Magic Numbers so much is their male/female harmonies. I have a soft spot for bands with male/female harmonies, I suppose.

May I complain about the CD prices again? The Magic Numbers CD was $20 at the show!! That must be a new all-time high for for the price of a non-autographed, non-limited edition CD at the 9:30 Club. Must have been due to a poor dollars-to-pounds exchange rate or something....  ;)

Bags

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2006, 03:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
 Audience D-

Seriously was the Black Cat sold out or something? The volume of chatter almost drown the MNs out during the quiet bits of which there were numerous... Just because a group has a sense of dynamics doesn't automatically grant the right to chatter.  Tis nice to know there are bands that do not require my ears to bleed for the sake of their art, shame the audience didn't return the favor.  Maybe they'll play the Sushmere next time...
I coudn't agree with you more -- what was the issue?!?!?  I don't know that I've ever been to a louder show at 9:30, in terms of audience chatter.  And I was very close up front, so if I heard so much chatter from there, there was a frickin' lot.  I was trying to figure out why -- it was a Thursday show, but not sold out, so were there that many folks just casually checking out the band?  Really pissed me off, and I was tempted to yell "shut up," but didn't have any beer in me.   ;)

I enjoyed the show more than I thought I would -- I'd seen the Magic Numbers do a 40 minute daytime set at SXSW, which was good, but they had better energy at the club.  I think the bigger crowd was a help (there were about 30 people watching the band at the Austin show I saw).  If you discount the goddamn chatters all around the perimeter, folks near the stage were really in to the band and sending love their way.  I was fully planning to leave early, but stuck it out as the final third of the show was the best (and I had made it through the mellow middle).

The Elected didn't grab me, though there were a couple songs I enjoyed -- both with horns, by chance.  

Glad to say hi to Kosmo and Darth, and meet Tom Servo.  Hi!!

shtee223

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2006, 05:47:00 pm »
does anyone have the setlist of either of the bands by any chance? unfortunately i wasn't able to go so i'd like to know the setlists.