Author Topic: Austin City Limits Festival  (Read 1491 times)

beedubyah

Austin City Limits Festival
« on: May 05, 2005, 01:25:00 pm »
(Sorry to start a new thread)

Has anyone ever been to this festival?  Good/bad experiences?  Any idea of what to expect?  Hotels, food, bars, surrounding areas?

Ive heard good things about Austin though Ive never hung out in Bush country....

This lineup has really got me goin....Really thinking about making the trip.  I just want to make sure its worthwhile.

Tom Servo

Re: Austin City Limits Festival
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 01:43:00 pm »
I've never been to the festival itself, but Austin is definitely a cool town and worth the visit.  Not too big, beautiful geography, and it's not all stereotypical Texas.  Shades of Berkeley, Portland, Madison, Boulder, etc.  I've lived all over Texas and Austin is the only city I would move back to.

sonickteam2

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 01:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by Tom Servo:
  I've never been to the festival itself, but Austin is definitely a cool town and worth the visit.  Not too big, beautiful geography, and it's not all stereotypical Texas.  Shades of Berkeley, Portland, Madison, Boulder, etc.  I've lived all over Texas and Austin is the only city I would move back to.
Madison, Wisconsin??  whoa, I'll be booking my trip tonight....

ewriter3

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 02:11:00 pm »
I went last year and loved the festival.  Although it was hot, I mean 100+ degrees after the sun went down.  However, this year it is a couple weeks later so maybe it will be a little cooler.

The festival is very well put together(IMHO).  As far as locations, it is kind of out of the way.  Usually the ticket site has a reservation site connected (but it's not up and running yet).  For bars and stuff check out sixth street area.   They will be adding more information to the site regarding travel.

beedubyah

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 02:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by ewriter3:

The festival is very well put together(IMHO).  As far as locations, it is kind of out of the way.  Usually the ticket site has a reservation site connected (but it's not up and running yet).  For bars and stuff check out sixth street area.   They will be adding more information to the site regarding travel.
Thanks for the info.  How far away are the nearest hotel/bar clusters.  Would we need to rent a car?  Looking to do this on the cheap, though I know its impossible.

ewriter3

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 02:29:00 pm »
They have shuttles that run from downtown to the festival.  Also the closest hotel to the festival I believe is the Hyatt.  But don't quote me on that.  

Downtown hotels are your best bet.  Close to the shuttles and close to bars.  

The reservation system will list the hotels and what area they are in.  

We stayed kind of far out last year and will look this year to stay closer.  If you stay further out a car is a great idea, but if doing DT, don't bother -- just take the shuttles and be patient.  

Saturday night last year was the hardest...

Bags

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 02:39:00 pm »
Sounds very much like New Orleans Jazzfest to me....  I wouldn't mind booking a hotel soon to be on the safe side.  Looks like a great time...

beedubyah

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2005, 03:58:00 pm »
  They have shuttles that run from downtown to the festival.  Also the closest hotel to the festival I believe is the Hyatt.  But don't quote me on that.  

We stayed kind of far out last year and will look this year to stay closer.  If you stay further out a car is a great idea, but if doing DT, don't bother -- just take the shuttles and be patient.  

Thanks a bunch for the help.  I believe the wheels are in motion....

thegazelle

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 04:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by beedubyah:

Thanks a bunch for the help.  I believe the wheels are in motion.... [/b]
I agree that downtown hotels are best as far as the shuttle goes. We stayed at a Holiday Inn in Town Lake last year and though the shuttle didn't go to that area directly, a cab ride after the bars downtown was pretty reasonable and easy to find. Also, we found it very easy to split a cab with other people at the hotel and just take that to the festival. It ran maybe $6/person with 3 or 4 of us and everyone was friendly and ready to chat. Not a bad way to travel.

The festival itself was verrrrry hot as others mentioned, but seemed easy after doing Coachella a few months before hitting Austin. There isn't much shade, but you could find some to cool down once in a while. The food was pretty decent and the lines moved quickly enough. Also, you're allowed to bring in two big waters per person, so that was nice. Beer had little appeal until the sun went down. Mid-day it just got warm too quickly unless you chugged.

All in all, I think it was a great event that was well run in all regards. My only little gripe was that sometimes the music at one stage would be drowned out by music from another. Elvis Costello comes to mind specifically. If you have the chance, I'd do it.

beedubyah

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005, 01:59:00 pm »
Thanks guys.  Reserved a hotel room.  Havent bought tickets (plane or festival) yet, but I think Im going to.  Stoked...