Author Topic: The RIAA Does the right thing?  (Read 3865 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The RIAA Does the right thing?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 04:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  How many hours a week does a full time musician work?
because "musician" has a one-size-fits all definition...

also, didn't you answer your own question? (re: full-time musician).  work less than 40 hours, you're a part-time musician.  work more, and you're an over-time musician.
<sig>

Sage 703

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 04:41:00 pm »
EDIT - see fuller post below.

Sage 703

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 04:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo:
  first of this might be of interest to some of you   :)  

Last.fm is paying royalties to indie artists

Ok, so here's a good overview of the effect the most recent royalty rates will have on internet radio broadcaster.  The bottom line being that a broadcaster could essentially be paying 100%
 of total revenues just to pay the SoundExchange royalites, also due would be composer fees.  This assumes that the broadcaster is seeing any real revenue from banner ads, etc.

http://www.kurthanson.com/archive/news/030207/index.shtml
Hopefully this doesn't double post, as it looks like my post got lost somewhere in cyberspace...

My understanding of your argument is that these new royalty rates are going to put hobbyists out of business.  First - I pay for my hobbies.  Why should hobbyists be entitled to use other people's art free of charge?

Second - the article you linked to says:

"In 2006, a well-run Internet radio station might have been able to sell two radio spots an hour at a $3 net CPM (cost-per-thousand), which would add up to .6 cents per listener-hour."

It goes on to say that with added revenue from gateway ads and so forth, this essentially can cover the royalty fees using 100% of the income from the website.  If you're a hobbyist, I think that's more than fair - you're making enough money off of your hobby so that it is free and you can sustain it.

The biggest internet radio providers - WOXY, KEXP, etc - likely charge more than a $3.00 net CPM.  That is absurdly low.  From looking at WOXY's media kit, for example (http://woxy.lala.com/media/files/aboutwoxy.pdf) - it is clear that they have enough visitors to charge easily three times that CPM, if not more.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008, 05:08:00 pm »
actually hobbyist are stil expected to cough up... SoundExchange fees are collected regardless if you have revenue or not, unless you can truly meet the  definition of a non-commercial radio station which still requires a certain fees to be paid.

and i need to hire a better fact checker, because in this case the RIAA isn't actually doing the  right thing if you are a songwriter... as this battle isn't over internet performance royalties which is still being disputed but over the mechanical royalties paid to songwriters.  i.e. ASCAP.

RIAA and DiMA have formed sort of an unholy alliance in attempt to lower the mechanical rights.

So on one hand up with artists/labels but down with songwriters.

"We are seeking to have royalties be in line with what the record industry historically has paid," said Jon Potter, executive director of the Digital Media Association, or DiMA. "Royalties today are disproportionately high for publishers in the context of overall sound recording pricing.... They've gone from 7 cents, to 8 cents, to 9 cents (per song), while record prices have dropped dramatically."

While songwriters want an increase from 9.1 cents to 12.5 cents per song sold -- saying distribution costs are dropping during the transition to digital -- the Recording Industry Association of America, or RIAA, wants songwriting royalties to be set at 8 percent of the wholesale price. DiMA proposes 4.1 percent of the retail price, and has asked the Copyright Royalty Board to decide whether webcasters need to pay mechanical royalties at all, since streaming isn't designed to leave the consumer with a copy of the song.

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/music/commentary/listeningpost/2008/02/listeningpost_0204

also

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/01/here-we-go-agai.html#more
T.Rex

Sage 703

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 05:12:00 pm »
Ultimately, I think we just disagree.  I think the royalty rates should go up - artists aren't generating as much income from record sales anymore.

I don't know much about the mechanical royalty debate - but that does seem as though the RIAA isn't acting in the best interests of the musician.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2008, 05:31:00 pm »
i'll agree that some sort of royalty rate should be put in place... however it needs to reasonable and not just limited to internet/sat radio and new media...
T.Rex

Sage 703

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2008, 05:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo:
  i'll agree that some sort of royalty rate should be put in place... however it needs to reasonable and not just limited to internet/sat radio and new media...
Agreed  :)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2008, 05:36:00 pm »
and the man shouldn't also be stickin' it to those pesky songwriters
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2008, 06:05:00 pm »
for those really wanting to learn about how music royalties work..

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/music-royalties.htm
T.Rex