Author Topic: Trashcan Sinatras..  (Read 2553 times)

Fico

Trashcan Sinatras..
« on: March 28, 2005, 06:01:00 pm »
What do you lot think of them?? we are opening a show for them in NYC and wanted to gauge their popularity..

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: Trashcan Sinatras..
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 06:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by Fico:
  What do you lot think of them?? we are opening a show for them in NYC and wanted to gauge their popularity..
What band are you in again? Cartel?

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 06:07:00 pm »
Q: How do we know Michael is guilty?
 A: Several children have fingered him.

Reechard D Taylor

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 06:32:00 pm »
As with most bands, I think their older material is the best. Their first album, "Cake," is arguably their strongest---it's definitely in the Smiths/Aztec Camera vein, with lots of jangly guitars and wistful vocals. I would think you would be into their early period if you love The Smiths and are into the idea of a Scottish band taking a crack at that sound (but doing something special with it). Their second album, "I've Seen Everything," is solid, but less rocking and features a greater emphasis on their slower, more atmospheric moments.  Their third album, "A Happy Pocket" is their most uneven, featuring some real gems, but also offering songs that appear unfinished.  After many years, the band finally put out a fourth album ("Weightlifting"), but the style is a bit too "adult alternative" (for lack of a better phrase) for me to get really excited about.  The songs are definitely strong, but the bite they once had on "Cake" is completely gone (if Pete Yorn is your thing though, you may like it).  But I think it definitely sounds like a record made by a bunch of guys in their 40s...

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 08:08:00 pm »
i agree with everything fogc says... their last show at the 9:30 club was duller than dishwater.  they played very little of early lively material. plus they have a rabid fanbase which appear to enjoy making obscure requests while they played.  i was sorely disappointed, but the hardcore fans will make every effort to see them live.
T.Rex

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 10:59:00 pm »
wow, chadwick really summed it up ... i do have to say that "Obscurity Knocks" off of "Cake" is a fucking great song, definitely my favorite ... that LP sounds exactly like a neutered smiths album with all the rough lyrical and musical edges smoothed out , but its not necessarily a bad thing ... i just can't see morrissey singing "snug as a bug"

kosmo's also right, their 930 gig was like a 2-hour date show, vvvveeeery languid

fico, where in NYC are you playing? i would think trashcan would play at irving plaza.

by the way, we wandered into dremo's on saturday and caught some of this band pallino (http://www.pallinotheband.com/) while we were shooting darts ... you were asking about local bands earlier, and they seem right up your guys' alley, very britpoppy, melodic and atmospheric ... take all that with a grain of salt though, i was pretty drunk ...
(o|o)

Fico

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 10:56:00 am »
Cheers! very good feedback all around..

To answer some questions:

- Yes, my band is Cartel.

- We are opening up for the TS @ Southpaw, which is a club in Brooklyn www.spsounds.com.. they are also playing the night before (or after?) at the Mercury Lounge...Southpaw holds about 500-600 people...so I'm curious to know if they may actually sell out this show..

- HoyaSaxa, we've actually been in touch w/Pallino...the stuff I've heard from them is pretty good and the description you gave of them is pretty accurate...we've talked about setting something up together in the past and if we had our say on a bill arranged by us they'd probably be in it..

ps: saw your Bloc Party article on the Express...good stuff, kudos.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 11:05:00 am »

Was that you handing out samplers after the Saturday Interpol show?

Fico

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2005, 11:17:00 am »
Originally posted by jaron:

Was that you handing out samplers after the Saturday Interpol show? [/b]
Well there were 4 of us on Saturday handing out the samplers...Friday me and the singer were out...

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 12:28:00 pm »
  Cheers! very good feedback all around..

To answer some questions:

- We are opening up for the TS @ Southpaw, which is a club in Brooklyn www.spsounds.com.. they are also playing the night before (or after?) at the Mercury Lounge...Southpaw holds about 500-600 people...so I'm curious to know if they may actually sell out this show..

- HoyaSaxa, we've actually been in touch w/Pallino...the stuff I've heard from them is pretty good and the description you gave of them is pretty accurate...we've talked about setting something up together in the past and if we had our say on a bill arranged by us they'd probably be in it..

ps: saw your Bloc Party article on the Express...good stuff, kudos.
well that sucks that i wont be seeing cartel.. ill be seeing them the night before at mercury lounge..as far as TCS playing 9:30 club, they played a much better show at Bowery that weekend. It was a sold-out show, and the fans were really into them. They were also playing a great amount of their older stuff   :D  

seeing them at the mercury lounge should be even better. at least a much smaller crowd!
HeyLa

Fico

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 01:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by xneverwherex:
 [/qb]
well that sucks that i wont be seeing cartel.. ill be seeing them the night before at mercury lounge..as far as TCS playing 9:30 club, they played a much better show at Bowery that weekend. It was a sold-out show, and the fans were really into them. They were also playing a great amount of their older stuff    :D  

seeing them at the mercury lounge should be even better. at least a much smaller crowd! [/QB][/QUOTE]

Good info...that means they will most likely sell-out Southpaw...in which case I better alert my friends in NYC to get tickets in advance as there will be no tickets left the day off...

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2005, 01:59:00 pm »

Originally posted by xneverwherex:
 [/b]
well that sucks that i wont be seeing cartel.. ill be seeing them the night before at mercury lounge..as far as TCS playing 9:30 club, they played a much better show at Bowery that weekend. It was a sold-out show, and the fans were really into them. They were also playing a great amount of their older stuff     :D    

seeing them at the mercury lounge should be even better. at least a much smaller crowd! [/QB]
Good info...that means they will most likely sell-out Southpaw...in which case I better alert my friends in NYC to get tickets in advance as there will be no tickets left the day off... [/QB][/QUOTE]

Fico, no clue if they will sell out. i was on the tcs board and happened to read about them playing. apparently they're up in NYC quite a bit. probably wouldnt hurt to pick up a ticket early. dont think the mercury lounge show sold out, but the show isnt till the 23rd i think. so its still early! id imagine that both shows will be quite packed!
HeyLa