Author Topic: City Paper Neighborhoods  (Read 2204 times)

HoyaSaxa03

City Paper Neighborhoods
« on: June 22, 2008, 01:29:00 pm »
where do you live?

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/neighborhoods/

my favorite names are "Gary Conduit" and "Notyetworth"

i've been bitching about my hood for years, but this is the best summation i've seen:

Both the grand Omni Shoreham, finished in 1930, and the even more grand Marriott Wardman Park??billed in the ??20s as a ??city within itself???have come to define Woodley Park. Nearly all of the restaurants here cater to the hotels?? clientele with inflated prices, conference-friendly hours, and forgettable food. Two years ago, that changed to a degree, when restaurateur Constantine Stavropoulos took what he learned from Tryst and the Diner, the neighborhood darlings of Adams Morgan, and opened Open City on the other side of the Duke Ellington Bridge. Its promise of good food and good coffee at decent prices and served late was almost instantly embraced by the locals. Finally, it seemed, someone got it: People actually live in Woodley Park.
(o|o)

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
Re: City Paper Neighborhoods
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 08:53:00 pm »
Parts of that article are a little weak (like their review of my hood, Columbia Heights) -- but this tip alone made the article worthwhile. Somehow I've missed this... must check out:

? Jerusalem Cafe on Columbia Road was opened by a disgruntled former employee of the much-lauded Amsterdam Falafel. The employee may not be enjoying his revenge: Jerusalem Cafe, slightly less accessible to the 18th Street crowd, is often empty, but his restaurant offers better food and a frat-boy-free atmosphere.
_\|/_

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 09:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:
  ? Jerusalem Cafe on Columbia Road was opened by a disgruntled former employee of the much-lauded Amsterdam Falafel. The employee may not be enjoying his revenge: Jerusalem Cafe, slightly less accessible to the 18th Street crowd, is often empty, but his restaurant offers better food and a frat-boy-free atmosphere.
i've been there a couple of times and didn't think it was anything to write home about ... definitely doesn't compare to amsterdam falafel ... seems more like a competitor (and a lesser one at that) to astor mediterranean up the street
(o|o)

• my blog
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 10:04:00 pm »
That is distressing news, because good falafel is hard to find in DC...  I would love to find an alternative to Amsterdam, which is damn good but also crowded and a pain in the azs.
_\|/_

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 10:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:
  I would love to find an alternative to Amsterdam, which is damn good but also crowded and a pain in the azs.
is it really?  i've never had to wait more than a few minutes, even during peak bar-closing time ... i guess i never actually eat there either, but it never seems like a problem to get in and get out ... and those fries ...

all this talking about it makes me want to get on my bike and head over there
(o|o)

• my blog
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 10:21:00 am »
Maybe I've just been unlucky, but there are times when it does turn into a giant clusterf*ck.

But the falafel and fries... sooooo good.
_\|/_

tigersscareme

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 10:28:00 am »
Hahah...I like that I live in Lawn & Order.
 My neighbors are effing crazy with the lalwn upkeep and we always look slackerly.

bellenseb

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 10:32:00 am »
Jerusalem Cafe falafel is just as good, the toppings bar is probably better, and you get a basket and utensils with your falafel, so it's easier to pile on the toppings with abandon. It's also not crowded and much larger.

However, it's also sort of weirdly depressing in there, with strange flourescent lighting, way too many tables, institutional atmosphere. This is a bigger factor than one might imagine, but I don't go as often due to this.

brennser

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 10:37:00 am »
they pretty much nailed Upper Caucasia.....although Comet is another late night drinking spot/bar (once they get their ANC issues ironed out)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 01:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by bellenseb:
  However, it's also sort of weirdly depressing in there, with strange flourescent lighting, way too many tables, institutional atmosphere. This is a bigger factor than one might imagine, but I don't go as often due to this.
totally agree with this, but that vibe kind of feels at home on that stretch of columbia
(o|o)

walkonby

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 01:44:00 pm »
will the internet ever really kill these types of papers?  i love them; i love to carry them with excitement as i get a new one and wait to read it, but it would seem that the internet kills everything.  maybe it's human racism.

• my blog
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 08:21:00 pm »
If you're talking about the City Paper, I think it's been busy killing itself for many years.

Now that Jerusalem Cafe is described, I'm pretty sure I've been in there, and yes, the atmosphere is so depressing I walked right out.  But I'll just get the food to go next time.
_\|/_

walkonby

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 09:12:00 am »
if it's killing itself, hence it sucks, then why do you read it?  attempt to change it for the better.  get a job as writer, overthrow the company and put out something that you think is awesome.  just saying . . . .

• my blog
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 12:08:00 am »
I will take those suggestions under advisement!  :)
_\|/_