Author Topic: Les Claypool is a genius  (Read 1591 times)

choicebeatschoice

Les Claypool is a genius
« on: November 07, 2006, 01:11:00 pm »
Anyone goin to Primus tomorrow night at Constitution Hall?

Just found out this random fact, Primus is the only band with its own ID3v1 genre tag.

distance

Re: Les Claypool is a genius
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 01:14:00 pm »
it's dar.
 no.
 i wasted my money on a ticket last time.  that kind of shit won't be happening again.

i was going to go to tower theater show again (i went to the show there in 03), but the ticket was like $70 (in 03 it was $30 before fees).

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 01:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by distance:
  it's dar.
 no.

i know i'm a broken record here, but DAR ain't that bad for sound if you get decent seats (see the  DCFC thread for others that share this opinion)

is Les a "genius"?  let's not go overboard.  nothing he did during his Primus haitus impressed me that much.  but is he a unique bassist, is Primus' music fun, are their fans wacky and is the show assured to be a good time?  i sure think so!  i scored front row for this show, should be a hoot.  haven't seen them since lollapolooza'93.
<sig>

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 02:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by choicebeats:
   Primus is the only band with its own ID3v1 genre tag.
Genres are collective; no band can have its own genre. Style, yes; genre, no. Besides, you'll still find Primus under "rock" no matter what you call it.

PigIron

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 10:29:00 pm »
Never cared much for non-Primus Les stuff until I saw his band live over the summer.  Such a great time and a great band.  Had a Parliamant-Funkadelic-party vibe to the show.  Primus, although I haven't seen them since the late 90s, is always great live.  If it wasn't for work, I'd be at this.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 05:12:00 pm »
quick recap: t'was a great show, the boys were in good form.  played for about 1:20 - 1:30, people around me were wondering beforehand how short their set was going to be - damn naysayers.  i had front row seats immediately in front of les - awesome.  very little between-song banter.  got his setlist after the show:

Bastards
 Ground
 Tweekers
 De Anza
 Nature Boy
 Jerry
 Mud
 Grapevine
 Puppies
 Harold

they came back out for a one-song encore (after the required group chorus of "primus sucks"   :)   ) that i didn't recognize/don't remember.

opening act was rasputina, who i see are coming to the 930.  two cellists and a drummer... they did a cover of heart's barracuda that was pretty rockin', over all it was an interesting opening act and an appropriate one for primus.

weird thing was that they didn't sell any tickets in sections G through P - so the back of the hall was was empty.
<sig>

distance

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 07:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  quick recap: t'was a great show, the boys were in good form.  played for about 1:20 - 1:30, people around me were wondering beforehand how short their set was going to be - damn naysayers.

opening act was rasputina, who i see are coming to the 930.  two cellists and a drummer... they did a cover of heart's barracuda that was pretty rockin', over all it was an interesting opening act and an appropriate one for primus.

~1.5h is pretty short for primus these days.

when i heard that rasputina were opening i immediately questioned "they're still around?"  they opened for manson around here in the mid-90s and was surprised to still see that they were 'around' and even more surprised that they were opening for primus.