Author Topic: DMBQ last night at the black cat...  (Read 875 times)

snailhook

DMBQ last night at the black cat...
« on: March 30, 2005, 06:30:00 pm »
...rocked harder than anything i've seen recently. it's a shame they are virtually unknown here because they put on one of the most entertaining shows i've ever seen.

they sound like blue cheer with all the over-the-top zeppelinisms and hendrixisms and grand funkisms thrown in. insanely fuzzy, sludgy, and louder than a jet airliner taking off. china, the drummer, doesn't hit hard but is all over the drum kit. they even got into some extreme spacy territory not unlike hawkwind and pink floyd.

the bassist plays with goggles that have lights attached to them like he's going spelunking, and one of the guitarists does leg kicks and makes crazy faces that are hysterical. the other guitarist strapped on a gas mask for the last song and screamed unintelligibly while the band bashed away.  then he took the drummer's kit and set it up on the floor, piece by piece, before picking up the drummer and making her play in the middle of the floor. then he set up the drums in a pile and crashed into them. total chaos. i had a mile-wide grin.

by the way, DMBQ are from japan and their last record is on estrus. my new favorite band.

Chip Chanko

Re: DMBQ last night at the black cat...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 06:33:00 pm »
sounds like lightning bolt with more people (not musically).

snailhook

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 06:57:00 pm »
funny you say that...they're touring with the bolt in new england.

it's as energetic as LB but with more conventional acid-rock stylings.

shoot ur shot

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 08:54:00 pm »
I can attest to this account as i bared witness to this myself. They play blues scales under an impenetrable sheet of gorgeous white noise. Almost to the point where you couldn't tell one note apart from the next. Just straight power and volume. An over the top Blue Cheer - if you can imagine that lol. Things do get pretty interesting when you play at those kinds of volumes though and i was way into it. Some dude next to me got nailed in the chest with a kick drum when the singer flew into the kit but he was still just as geeked as the rest of the kids in the room.

There's no doubt in my mind 90% of the people there did not come to see DMBQ but they stole that show - people seemed bored during the navies & a day in black & white, whereas the room erupted in applause after DMBQ. Apparently they've been doing their thing since 1988.. well, it shows.