Author Topic: The Flower Travellin' Band **live** @ Velvet Lounge-March 17th.  (Read 7148 times)

redsock

Re: The Flower Travellin' Band **live** @ Velvet Lounge-March 17th.
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 02:08:26 pm »
Thoughts on this show possibly selling out? I know it is really nothing the DC hipsters usually go out for, but I can see the fact that this is a rare event bringing the uninitiated, myself included.

Just don't wanna show up at 9 to be shut out...

azaghal1981

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 02:44:40 pm »
I'm hoping it draws more than the Velvet regulars who all basically know each other but am not sure it will. Going over after the Pogues so I'm relying/betting on it not selling out.
احمد

teepo

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 03:56:40 pm »
i hope it doesn't sell out...

byt caught on to the hype and did lightning bolt the event...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 03:59:18 pm by teepo »

redsock

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 04:44:46 pm »
Uggg, BYT hype makes me ill. But, at least some coverage of an unappreciated band...

i hope it doesn't sell out...

byt caught on to the hype and did lightning bolt the event...

redsock

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 11:45:10 pm »
So, at 10:15 they weren't even letting folks upstairs yet, a full 1h15m after things were supposed to start. This is a disturbing trend with Velvet shows (though nothing all that new), and even if there was a good reason for the crazy delay, FTB wasn't going to finish up till well after 1, and for someone who was alone, curious and due in to work early tomorrow morning, it simply wasn't worth waiting through 2 other bands. Which sucks, cause while i wasn't a fan, i would really have liked to see these guys. Luckily i got an extra $20 from the ATM, so I was not out cover...

I am sure the 'real' fans hung around, I'd love to hear how the show went. And why things started so late...

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 12:10:57 am »
redsock, as i'm sure you're all too aware, shows starting late at the velvet is nothing new... in fact, i've never been to a single show at the VL that has started anywhere near on time.

i've come up with a new term: "the velvet curse".  this describes the unfavorable predicament that many headliners face at the VL: because of delays, they hit the stage so late as to have a smaller audience than the openers.  people can only be expected to stay out so late. 

a case in point: ulrich schnauss this summer.  the openers played to a bigger crowd than ulrich, who didn't go on until well past 1 AM (or was it 2?).  by the time his set started, people were tired and had called it a night. 

the fact that the VL still can't put on a show that is even close to being on time is quite embarrassing.
<sig>

redsock

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009, 12:15:38 am »
Oh yeah, this has been going on since the early 00's for sure. I remember markie and lulu bitching about this same problem back when i started on the board. So, not surprising at all, but I assumed since it appears there is different mgmt there it wasn't as bad as it had been in the past. Apparently I was incorrect.

Looking forward to going to the Exactly/Future Islands show tomorrow :)

azaghal1981

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 03:21:26 am »
FTB were really good all be it a little jambandy. That lead singer still has the killer pipes he had in the 70's; why they don't utilize that asset more is beyond me. Totally underestimated the turnout which was a nice surprise.
They went on at around 12:15 and played until after 1:30.

P.S. BYT still sucks.
احمد

Unsanity

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2009, 04:30:55 am »
Yeah! I knew showing up over an hour past the supposed show start time was a good idea! I got there around 10:20 pm and Gondola came on. Those dudes were pretty rad..kinda sounded like Queens of The Stone Age instrumental. Kustchy Rye Ergot had a very short but entertaining set. Flower Travellin' Band was a nice treat. They could fit in at Bonarroo or any other big festival I'd say. I still can't believe they opened with "Satori" I saw several people leave after the first 15 minutes. That was the most crowded I have ever seen the Velvet get. Good show.

snailhook

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2009, 09:24:19 pm »
redsock, as i'm sure you're all too aware, shows starting late at the velvet is nothing new... in fact, i've never been to a single show at the VL that has started anywhere near on time.

i've come up with a new term: "the velvet curse".  this describes the unfavorable predicament that many headliners face at the VL: because of delays, they hit the stage so late as to have a smaller audience than the openers.  people can only be expected to stay out so late.

a case in point: ulrich schnauss this summer.  the openers played to a bigger crowd than ulrich, who didn't go on until well past 1 AM (or was it 2?).  by the time his set started, people were tired and had called it a night.

the fact that the VL still can't put on a show that is even close to being on time is quite embarrassing.

first of all, sweetcell, you really don't go to that many velvet lounge shows, so you don't know when we do run things on time (which is more than you think). you only seem to attend the shows that sell out or require big productions.

i'm not sure if you realize how much energy and effort i've put into making large events occur at venues like the warehouse next door and the velvet lounge. bands like ulrich schnauss and flower travellin' band and DMBQ -- and ghost coming up in may -- really have no business playing venues as small as the velvet. but that is what i have access to, because the black cat won't book this music, and i refuse to even breathe the air within ten feet of the rock and roll hotel or dc9. so i'm stuck with the velvet.

one of the reasons why shows run late at events like this is because the bands themselves are late, or they take sound checks thats are way longer than they should be. this was the case with FTB. we were loaded in and set up by 7 o'clock, but they insisted on getting everything just right. it wasn't until 9pm when they were finished.  the same shit happened when i had whitehouse at dc9 in 2006. as a manager, i can force the band to cut their sound check short, but then i run the risk of pissing off the band.

another reason why shows run late is because we just do not have the capability to run shows smoothly because of the layout. there is no entrance to the stage from the rear, which means changeovers take much longer than they do at venues like the black cat and 9:30. we don't have stagehands helping out, and most of the bands we book insist on playing their own gear. this means a lot of clutter and running around. believe me, it's been much better since we doubled the size of the room.

the management has actually bumped up load in and door time by an hour to speed the process. things are getting better for smaller shows, but the problems that exist for the larger shows are not going to go away. i know it's hard for you to imagine, but when we have low-key shows -- free jazz/improv, solo folk, pretty much any show where there's 20 people milling around -- they are often done by midnight.

another thing for you to note is that we don't list the set times for bands because of this reason. we try to start shows at 9:30 and end by midnight. but there is no definite schedule. when you attend a show at a small venue, you have to accept that this is part of the experience.

as for the show itself, i was very pleased at the turnout and result, give the myriad problems i had in setting up the show and ensuring that everybody sounded good. flower travellin' band were amazing when they played the older material. gondola were awesome, and i felt pretty good about our set (which we cut short due to the fact that we were running late). we were a hair away from selling out.

for those that were disappointed in FTB's new material, they are planning on doing a "satori" tour later this year or next year, and it will be even better than last night. just be prepared to see it at the velvet again, unless someone can convince vicki and dante to book it at the cat. don't hold your breath.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 09:27:30 pm by snailhook »

azaghal1981

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2009, 09:49:52 pm »
I came in at what sounded like the climax of the Kuschty Rye set; what I heard was really tight and intense! Should've just split from the Pogues show at the encore break. Would've most likely caught the whole set if I'd have done that. One new FTB song I really liked was that west African highlife-sounding one. They're still as tight and on point as ever which would make a Satori set incredible.
احمد

snailhook

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2009, 10:09:22 pm »
to be honest, my take on the new material is that it's very inconsistent.  the highlife-esque song was ok, and one of the better ones. my favorite of the new batch is the one that sounds like zeppelin's "since i've been loving you."  there's also a new one that's proggy in a deep purplish way.  the rest of the new songs were average to awful, with too strong a steely dan and late-period santana influence.

redsock

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2009, 12:20:51 am »
I figured FTB were not gonna be easy at the Velvet, so I assumed the delays were band related. It still sucked, and would have been better if someone at VL was giving real info, as opposed to the poor door guy getting belted with questions, but c'est la vie...

Tonight's show ended early with two great sets from Exactly and Future Islands, so it works both ways.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2009, 10:01:57 am »
Not a fan of Exactly so went to DC9 to catch Nicole Atkins for 40 minutes, then made it just in time for Future Islands' set. Great set indeed...

Tonight's show ended early with two great sets from Exactly and Future Islands, so it works both ways.
(_|_)

redsock

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2009, 10:07:24 am »
Any idea who the opening band -- and i use that term loosely -- was? Apparently stepped in when Thrustlab cancelled?

Not a fan of Exactly so went to DC9 to catch Nicole Atkins for 40 minutes, then made it just in time for Future Islands' set. Great set indeed...