Author Topic: Mogwai cancelled?  (Read 4545 times)

matts

Mogwai cancelled?
« on: April 17, 2011, 09:22:35 pm »
This sucks.  If I am wrong please correct me.

From the Mogwai fb page (and confirmed with a call to the 930 club box office):

"We regret to inform you that due to an unforeseen delay in their visa processing, Mogwai must postpone these shows:

April 19 Washington, DC 9:30 Club
April 20 Philadelphia, PA Starlight Ballroom
April 21 New York, NY Webster Hall
April 22 New York, NY Webster Hall
April 23 Boston, MA Paradise Rock Club

Dates will be rescheduled for Oct TBA.
Original tickets still valid.
Refunds are available at point of purchase."

azaghal1981

Re: Mogwai cancelled?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 09:38:37 pm »

I am more bummed about not getting a chance to return to the club until Echo and the Bunnymen than having to wait that long to see Mogwai again.
احمد

K8teebug

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 07:54:57 am »
It will give you a chance to buy better hearing protection.

hutch

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 08:55:21 am »
I dont know why the US can't make it a bit easier for artists to get visas.. this isn't the first case of this..

I remember a tango musician couldn't make a free concert he was giving at the Kennedy Center because of delays in processing his visa: a 60-70 year old musician with a 40 year track record!

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 08:57:51 am »

The bass player in Suede wasn't able to get his visa and wasn't able to make Coachella this weekend.  Apparently they tried to reconfigure without a bass player.  I'm not sure how that went.

Brian

Got Haggis?

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 09:09:05 am »
yeah apparently getting visas takes much much longer than it used to and people aren't preparing for this.  I had tickets to see Killing Joke at the black cat and that was cancelled due to the visa length issue...and also had tickets + hotel room in NYC to see einstürzende neubauten - and the entire tour was cancelled due to visa length issue.

it's pretty annoying

Vas Deferens

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 09:17:09 am »
they might as well have said that it's "cancelled"....six months is a long wait to see a gig.
(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 09:50:56 am »
My hearing protection is just fine.
احمد

eltee

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 12:02:29 pm »
I once went to a show for Teitur who had visa issues. The whole band got here, he didn't. He still has issues...6-8 mths is tough to coordinate with album releases, etc. It's tougher on them, since they were going to be paid. It happens, and looks like they'll be back in the fall, so that is something.

hutch

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 12:21:17 pm »
Its completely retarded that it should take so long to get a visa to play music.

In some ways the terrorists won on 9-11. How sad.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 04:25:16 pm »
I dont know why the US can't make it a bit easier for artists to get visas.. this isn't the first case of this..

Because Big Brother does. not. ROCK!!!.... nor Tango, Waltz, Samba, Boogie or any other worthwhile artistic endeavor.

Seriously though, don't assume that it's because the artists are waiting too long to apply. Often it's because of some other agency, especially the particular embassies, who are the ones holding things up. Sometimes it's some other agency they are waiting on to issue some other documentation needed for the visa. Years ago (well before 9/11), I was a travel agent. One of the more frustrating aspects of that job was waiting on the embassies to issue the visas for travelers. Of course, in my case, it was from other countries so Americans could travel overseas but, no doubt, it works the same the other way around. In fact, MUCH worse now! It was a rule of thumb that the visas were never issued until the very last minute. Couldn't tell you how many very nervous travelers I've had to deal with waiting for their visas to show up for a trip that was to start the very next day. Seems the French visas, more often than others, wouldn't show up until about 3PM the day before the trip! It was stressful for me being the agent and being use to it but I can fully understand how nuts our clients were feeling! So, don't always assume that it's the band who has slacked off.

hutch

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 04:57:59 pm »
I agree that its not the band

Since 9-11 its well documented that its become much more complicated to get a visa to the US

Now what really makes me so mad is when 88 year old people have trouble.. or a 70 year old renown artist trying to get in to play a free music concert for Americans.. WTF?

People may not know this but in some countries locals have to pay the US embassy $150+ just to process a request for a visa and if  they are turned down they don't get their money back

just ridiculous really..

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 05:04:43 pm »
^ Agree with you on all of that!

Invisible walls that can't be knocked down with bulldozers.