Author Topic: 2009 NFL schedule  (Read 10079 times)

godsshoeshine

Re: 2009 NFL schedule
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 08:57:40 am »
i am indeed from the pittsburgh burbs
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 12:18:08 pm »
My father was born in Pittsburgh and my mother's father was a steelworker in Pittsburgh before heading off to WWII.  I however, was born in Orange County.

I root for the Steelers as my only football team, the Pirates as my NL team (second to the Angels overall), but not the Penguins.  I don't hate the Pens, I just don't go out of my way to see them/root for them.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 12:36:36 pm »
my dad's dad had a desk job for u.s. steel. he moved the whole family there from cleveland when my dad was 15 or so. i think you have to be pretty old to have a steel worker dad, i cant think of anyone i know off the top of my head in 26 years living in that area that came from a steel family

my dad is actually a bigger pens/pirates/penn state fan than the steelers. he was a pens fan before it was cool, i went to hockey games in the womb (literally). oh and smackie, i told him you kind of liked the young pirates players the other day and he asked 'why?'
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 12:56:16 pm »
oh and smackie, i told him you kind of liked the young pirates players the other day and he asked 'why?'

If I was in a keeper league, and I was out of the running at the end of the year (or more likely, had it locked up by Sept 15), I pick up Pedro Alvarez and reap the rewards for the next three years.

C - Doumit
1B - Adam LaRoche
2B - Sanchez
SS - Need a new cheaper shortstop
3B - Alvarez
OF - McClouth
OF - Nyger Morgan
OF - Dewlyn Young/Andrew McCutcheon/or slugger Jamie Romak

That's a damn good lineup that's also inexpensive and young (only two guys over 30).

That leaves us with pitching, that, as was displayed earlier this year, when they all have it together, they're tough:

Maholm
Duke
Snell
Gorzelany
Grabow
Ohrendorf
Karstens

Again, cheap and young, with a ton of upside.  They could be one good veteran teacher in the squad away from helping them turn the corner.  This team has the potential to be very good next season. 

I stand by what I said.  There is much to build on with that squad.  And the foundation comes up in September.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 01:07:30 pm »
they lose laroche and sanchez after this year, though. worse is they lose jackie wilson, so i'll have to buy a new tshirt
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 01:29:40 pm »
they lose laroche and sanchez after this year, though. worse is they lose jackie wilson, so i'll have to buy a new tshirt

I hate to be the bearer of the truth, but we've been over paying for Jack Wilson for 3 seasons now ($7.4 Million!).   And I'm not entirely sure Sanchez is worth $6.25 Million.  Adam LaRoche will resign as he did this year - nobody but Pittsburgh is interested in him at $7M.  That frees up $13 Million (invest in a starting pitcher, please!), and if Freddie resigns for a discount, great, but if not, I'm not sure it's that big of a loss.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 01:59:31 pm »
i only care because when i go to a game here, i like to make fun of people wearing former player's tshirts

which is 98% of the pirates fans
o/\o

Venerable Bede

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2009, 06:05:48 pm »
i only care because when i go to a game here, i like to make fun of people wearing former player's tshirts

which is 98% of the pirates fans
so i shouldn't wear my pokey reese t-shirt? 
OU812

godsshoeshine

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2009, 08:54:43 am »
youre more than welcome too if you want to cede the moral high ground. if i do i got nothing as far as baseball goes
o/\o